Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Joey was really good in the first game of the season, played poorly last week but now we know he was carrying an injury

The poor fellah has the absolutely worst luck

Tom has been a class act every time he's fit and available.

Every time he goes down for attention I have a mini heart attack as his durability is the only reason he hasn't already been capped for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

We’re in some hole now at 10 ….fingers crossed crowley stays fit …..butler going to see good bit of game time now as well which is good …..but lack of depth at 10 could cost us dearly

As Munster fans, the rugby season hasn't properly started until we get our first full blown injury crisis.

I fully expect Conor Murray to be playing out half in the ERC before christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sexton to Munster on a short term contract!

Imagine him winning a ERC cup with us 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭boccy23

RG gone again? How long this time?

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Surgery on a shoulder so you'd imagine that'll be a few months at least?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In better news the Irish internationals are all back in training this week and Nash hasn't been ruled out of Fridays game, so the injury can't be too bad.

If there was ever a time when you could choose not to have having RG available it's the start of the season, especially, if we can keep Kleyn and Beirne injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

And more starting time for Edogbo and Tom Ahern. This is not a bad thing

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭boccy23

It just seems he is never available for his paymasters or at least not as often as could be. And is for SA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He didn't make a single appearance for SA between the 2019 RWC final and the 2023 Rugby Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

horrible luck for Snyman and Joey. As others have said, its the right time of year to get them sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I only saw this now. What a strange move. Cool for Halfpenny, but I wouldn't have thought he's what the crusaders are looking for in an outside back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You're absolutely correct but the optics are poor. He still has more minutes for SA than Munster since he made the move. He was on their sideline in the 2022 summer when still injured in his Bok team tracksuit. And as soon as his test duty is up this time, he goes in for surgery again. It's hard to think his clear priority isn't SA.

The SA union are quite happy for their stars to go to Japan and Europe, get paid by someone else but be available and fully committed to the SA cause. I think Vermeulen at Ulster is as stark an example of it as any. He absolutely stole a living in Belfast relative to what he had done previously. And Coetzee left them absolutely high and dry, gaining an early release to return home before magically achieving fitness way ahead of schedule for the Bulls.

Regarding Snyman, the money would be put to far better use elsewhere. The rumoured departure of Kleyn is a far more concerning development.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We have no luck with him and injuries

Hopefully surgery will be a success and he has a quick recovery

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As long as Ahern and Edogbo stay fit, Snyman is an unnecessary luxury in the URC. He'd be handy for the European knock-outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

For anyone interested, the Kleyn departure rumours seem to be in Midi Olympique who claim that he is top of Lyon's shopping list to replace Taofifenua.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Can someone update the thread title to add the word "injured" 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Think you're right on Vermuellen. He was a different player for the boks.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

Klyne was always going to be in high demand , as one of the best TH locks in the world.

“But the optics are poor” which of course is only your opinion , which you are perfectly entitled to on this discussion forum.

Agreed, we didnt get great return on Snyman due to injuries (not that he decided to have surgery for the fun of it), but when he was needed, in the URC title run in last season , he was definitely committed to the Munster cause.

no comment on your mid piece rant against SA and some of the other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

How long ago was the final? Seems strange that we are only hearing now about the injury. We haven't gotten any return on the investment really.

Is there an international player in the world that would elect to have surgery during an international window, in particular in the lead up or during a RWC?

No, didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Looks like great timing for Ahern and Edogbo to come through if both Kleyn and RG leave at the end of the season which looks like a possibility. In that sense, RG’s injury isn’t a bad one to get at this stage of the season to let the two young lads continue to get minutes and experience under their belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Kleyn leaving will be a disaster. He's been such a mainstay and a top performer in the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think last season he started something like the final 18 games in a row. Unreal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Agreed, the more gametime those two young players get the better as they look to have a hell of a lot of potential. You've Beirne to come back also. Wycherley is a good URC player, Coombes is covering lock pretty regularly to close out games since maybe last Feb/March? I think we're well stocked there, if the two SA do end up leaving it's a blow but not the end of the world. Would love to keep one of them though! Kleyn would be my preference, does all the dirty work and is a good man to shove a scrum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Munster should be offering Kleyn a three year contract to get him to stay. They probably won't be able to offer him another contract after this so should be looking to lock him down longer than the standard two years.

He has been so robust thus far that there is little risk in it. He has earned every penny Munster have paid him so far, I'm sure he'll be well worth whatever it takes to keep him. Given the way SA cultivate locks, he might not have a big test career ahead of him either, despite how well he has been playing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Now that he is NIQ they will only be able to keep him or Snyman I would think and I'd agree they should keep Kleyn if possible but they may not be able to compete with French money for what will likely be his last shot at a big money contract sadly.

Advertisement