Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a double socket

Options
  • 06-11-2023 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone.

I am trying to add a 1 double socket in a bedroom and just want to ask the right way or be compliant to reg.

1. Are we allowed to DIY adding an additional socket to the current circuit?
    2. Are new homes (2018 build) usually radial circuits? I have checked all related sockets on this area and seen one with only 1 set of T&E wire thus it is the end of the circuit and it doesn't feed back to the mcb? Or is there other way to check if its a ring or radial?
    3. if it is radial, is it fine to add a spur from an existing socket granted to use the same wiring size (eg. 2.5mm on 20A breaker)
    4. In terms of running the spur wire from an existing socket, which way is acceptable.
    • Horizontally - this is the easiest way as would only need 2.5m of wire and I can run it through the small gap between the stud and concrete wall (dont think its the external wall as looking from the attic its drywall - stud (2x2) - 1.5-2cm gap (where I plan to run the wire) - concrete - gap/insulation? - brick wall (external)). But my concern on this is it will run behind where the radiator of the room is mounted. will this be a concern even if the wire don't have a direct contact with the internal drywall as it is separated by the 2x2 stud?
    • Vertically - I can run the wire vertically from existing socket then across the attic then down to the new planned socket, but this will take around 7.5-8m of wire length also not sure if I would need to notch or make a hole in the top plate of the wall or if there is space I could slip the wire through.

Diagram below for reference of my scenario:

thanks

Post edited by woodchuckchuck on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Unlikely you've a ring final socket circuit

You can check for a ring final circuit by separating the browns at a socket ,they'll both be "live" if it's a ring final circuit

A highly unlikely erroneous connection could show the same result(socket connected to 2 breakers) .Turning off 1 MCB should always cut power completely

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woodchuckchuck

Hi Kirk, thanks for the response. Yes, when I separated the live on the socket only one remains live after I turn the breaker back on, the rest of the socket until the last one with only set of wire also doesn't have power on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It should be ok to just branch off the radial circuit in 2.5 then

A continuous daisy chain is better practise for radial circuits but not practical when adding a socket

Advertisement