Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

For the internationals I think it’s less about workload and more about how long they were in camps. Weeks and weeks away from family. Also the longer we can do without internationals the better for young guys. Makes for more interesting games too.

As a general rule I think we are well served doing the opposite of English clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't think "rest" is purely about recovering physically. Lads need time out of camp/pro sport environment and quality time with family. I doubt many here would accept being away from home with work for the length of time these lads were, only to come back and go straight into a similar environment requiring regular travel for the next 7 months. Having some time off is important that they are hungry and ready to go for the new season.

Normal people often say they need a holiday but that's generally without the physical effort and lifestyle commitment required to play professional rugby. Imagine potentially not having any significant holidays until next summer. The lads deserve some time off and I'm sure it will stand to them later in the season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I saw a load of them back this week. Ollivon, LBB, Mauvaka, Villière, Jaminet, Lucu, Macalou.. but most of them are still not back, true enough.

La Rochelle don't seem to have brought in any internationals and Toulouse only 4 or 5. LR are playing like drains as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Standard game from VdM then. Lad is useless unless handed the ball on a plate. Pound store Lomu

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Before the season has started!? They've been in camp for 3 months. The majority of it abroad. They will be playing through til July including another long tour away from home.

It's about far more than physical ability to play at this point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

the 38 year old running around France might give you the answer

If he's still in a job. The knives are well and truly out for him this weekend!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not exactly that surprising, they care about about the Bouclier and he is unable to buy a win against Toulouse when it matters. There is an irritating trifrecta there where LAR can't beat Toulouse, Toulouse can't beat Leinster, and Leinster can't beat LAR. Unfortunately we are the only ones who end up trophyless in that scenario!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Fair to say that Boyle did pretty well here all things considered. Nel is as tough a scrummaging tighthead as he is likely to see in the medium term and certainly the best he has come across thus far.

There was strong refereeing to stop Nel binding high on the arm/ armpit of Boyle and once this was rectified he had decent parity.

A few blemishes yes but overall tread water very well and even swam at times. Really promising performance by the young loosehead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd imagine he knows what he's at. They're deliberately leaving out all of their RWC players still. That's not just the French lads. Skelton, Seuteni, Botia etc. are all still resting up.

The first 5 games certainly haven't gone according to plan but they've a handy run of it from here for the next 4 games in the T14 where they'll expect to win 3 of them fairly comfortably and settle down the criticism.

With about 6 weeks off for a lot of guys after the RWC, they're going to be very fresh as they come into the business end of the season. After the T14 final loss, I'd imagine they're all about nailing down that silverware now.

Interestingly, they've even given Alldritt a leave of absence reportedly. He won't be back in yellow until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's an article in today's Indo where Cullen states the returning Irish players need three weeks training with Leinster before being selected.

"Some of the Irish crew came back and trained this week and others are making their way back, and they will have their three weeks done next week and we will see what they are like case-by-case".

Is that not in reference to them having 3 weeks off post RWC as opposed to 3 weeks in training?

A few of them were back in full training last week and are due to be selected against the Dragons according to Cullen. That would put most of them only returning for the Munster game which is the same weekend that Ulster have identified for Kitshoff making his debut.

The Dragons is one game where we can blood youngsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's got to be difficult to bring lads back in. They've been missing since pre season. Then Nienaber is coming. Lot's of upheaval.

Munster completely hosed them. They are quite poor. I guess Conan and Baird may play a role this week. Milne is close to returning. Rather than blooding players, we could be drip fed returning international players.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Eh, no.

Sexton made it to the RWC because for the past 2 seasons he played as little club rugby as possible. That wasn't the player management programme, it was far above and beyond that.

Owen Farrell is almost certainly going to eclipse Sexton's test cap total and by a significant margin, and is very likely to also have a longer career in terms of time.

I don't think there is any evidence that the IRFU's player management programme prolongs careers.

Jimmy Gopperth has played 120 more games than Sexton and is still going at 40. Some players can just hack the pace for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen has issued an injury update ahead of Sunday’s BKT United Rugby Championship game against Dragons RFC in Rodney Parade (KO: 1.15pm).

The players involved in the Rugby World Cup have all now returned to Leinster Rugby and their availability for games will be assessed on a case by case basis, but all are available to return to training.

John McKee will be further assessed later this week ahead of selection this weekend from his hamstring injury.

Michael Milne will be further assessed later this week as he continues his return from a shoulder injury.

There are no further updates on Luke McGrath (knee), Cian Healy (shoulder), Ed Byrne (hamstring) and Alex Soroka (foot)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Hopefully the Ireland players are made to earn their place in the side and the likes of Boyle, Penny, Culhane, Osborne, TOB and Frawley aren't discarded when they're back.

• Advertisement

We should win comfortably but Rodney Parade has a bizarre ability to suck the energy out of teams. A kick off at lunch time on Sunday is poxy for everyone. Nobody is mentally up for a match at that time.

Last game we played there was a one point win. The time before that was by six points.

And the Dragons will have about ten players back who were unavailable last week (they were missing nineteen; six of them with Wales).

I'd take a messy 12 point win very happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

I’d love to see a long term study of Irish internationals (those whose minutes are ‘managed’) injury and career endurance profiles compared to players elsewhere who play far more. Surely the IRFU are basing the policy on something more than a guy feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

You also have to bear in mind that Wales scheduled a game vs the Barbarians the same day as the Munster v Dragons game and they lost 7 players to that.

Soroka is missing out on opportunities. It's going to be tough for him to get any kind of run.

Nobody will be discarded. The lads coming back have earned their playing time.

Henshaw will surely be available! He didn't Play much at the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

This injury update could have just been a shrugging shoulders emoji.

I doubt it. Henshaw, Furlong, Porter and Lowe were the only test players who didn't appear to be training yesterday. All others were present.

Can only assume it's a combination of fitness and rest periods for them. I'd be more than happy to give the two props another 2-3 weeks off and have them return to the pitch for the Connacht game on December 2nd.

Henshaw was struggling with an injury all World Cup, one which he has had before and rushing him back into action never works well. They are better to slowly reintroduce and hopefully resolve the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Honestly, as good as Henshaw is, we don't really need him. If he has niggles or needs surgery etc, he should just go do that now and hopefully be ready for the business end of the season. He's the kind of player who doesn't need to be played into form, he can hit the ground running when he's fit.

I'd love to see Osbourne get an extended run in the 12 position in Henshaw's absence and see how he goes. He looks like he has a very high ceiling and I wouldn't be worried about him at all starting vs Munster, Sale or La Rochelle.

Advertisement