Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wouldn't trust someone elses spreadsheet unless you've gone over it with a fine tooth combe. I've done my own for Pinergy. The data from ESB is presented a bit dodgy, you have to be careful what you do with it.

i'd say even with a small battery (who knows even no battery), Pinergy could be cheapest as long as you have an EV and schedule your appliances to all run at night. An EV uses about as much as the rest of the house all together if you do a bit above average annual mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

Apologies so.

Here is the link I was referring to. And it now correctly says that Pinergy is the cheapest for me - by about €65 - and as mentioned previously, this does not refer at all to Exports

EDIT: And it now has an Export analysis tab too WITH the Exports included :)

https://onelv.retool.com/embedded/public/ee29e65c-fc32-492f-8baf-e4a3312a22c0

Total annual bill with Pinergy €85 and with Energia €348 according to that tool. And they obviously have no idea how much I will be exporting next summer 😁

Also, it looks like they use the 6.92c for Pinergy, not the 5c community deal and €100 welcome bonus that @championc and I have.

Fair play to whoever put that together but I prefer to use my own tool though, need that to make sure my Pinergy bills are accurate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Have they fixed the error in counting (eg the 5,am slot is energy used from 4:30am - 5:00 am)

anything missing on the ESBN site graph is missing on the HDF file unfortunately.

I have added it to the FAQ at the bottom, just so its handy

Post edited by graememk on

My data certainly is presented correctly, so the results accurately reflect the data I uploaded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

Does it take the ESB long to process the NC6 forms and get exports to start showing up on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Hey would you have a rough idea on how much it would cost to have a similar system to what you're describing installed? PV and maybe 20kw battery.

I'm in an A2 rated house with heat pump. Using 5600kwh annually with 30% of that at night rate. Wondering what the payback would be like with exporting and also running the heat pump on the night rate charged battery. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Depending on if your DIY or getting iy installed

Example of a battery only:

Sofar me3000 -900ish

14ish kWh kit from frogstar : 2300 (but need to have it delivered to Northern Ireland)

PV+ battery

Best guide would be the quotes thread..

An often used tool would be this http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

Also a lot of us started small, bought smart, looked for deals and slowly expanded.

IMO you need to do you own sums. You have all the data. You cannot generalise here.

I very much assume that your heating is off for maybe 5 - 6 months per year ? Then it depends on the input consumption rate of the Heat Pump, and maybe you need to see as to whether you can just run the HP during the cheap hours. And can your inverter support the input current of the HP if it needs to run during the day ?

And if it's off for 5 - 6 months, then what is your real daily consumption !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I got muy letter in september, just wondering if I can request to get installed now or do I have to wait?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

I’ve a similar setup to the poster, I do run heat pump at night. The 5c 3 hr window with pinenergy might be a little tight. Solar going in later in the month. Planning on going with 15kwh battery pack 3x pylon tech 4.8kwh.

so I should be able to charge the battery pack, run the heat pump. And give the ev a top up in that 3 hr window (free charging at work so ev won’t be a huge pull)

looking at the useage kWh stats for the house during winter 15kwh battery should keep me off day rate other than the very cold days.

4 hour window would be better, but energia have a cap on useage and I would deffo be over that.

Anything over 1000kwh is 9.38c (Vs 8.15 for the units under 1000kwh/month

Even if the 3 hour window is too tight and you use day rate units all the time, it might still work out cheaper. Remember you get the €100 bonus and remember the rate is 5c, vs over 8.15c with Energia. That's a huge discount. Rather than presume it's too tight, you will just have to do your sums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

How long do you have to wait to move to pinergy after SM install, D-day is tomorrow so need to get the ball rolling.

You'd need to have the smart meter stuff showing up on ESBN website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Takes how long, a week?

Oh and how about the nonsense that usually happens at switch time, where people still got charged on the old supplier for ages even though they were already switched, still happens? Or was that a one-off?

Post edited by SD_DRACULA on

Ok so its not a huge penalty when you go over the 1000kwh

@unkel Thats true, such a cheap rate for majority of units would more than offset anything small on normal rate. Im monitoring daily usage via ESB smart meter now. giving me a good indication.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,231 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only got our metre in last week, I'm only seeing data for 2nd of November, going to put that down to the metre not being active properly yet on their side but am I right in that switching between Kw and Kwh on the ESB networks protal does nothing and it only ever shows Kw?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Unless I misunderstand your point, exports are included in my HDF file?

e.g.

MPRN Serial Value Type Date Time

103055 23600 1.367 Active Export Interval (kW) 01/11/2023 13:00

103055 23600 0.031 Active Import Interval (kW) 01/11/2023 13:00

103055 23600 1.518 Active Export Interval (kW) 01/11/2023 12:30

103055 23600 0.001 Active Import Interval (kW) 01/11/2023 12:30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

I have a standard day night meter (MCC02) and my current contract with Energia is up next Feb. Rates are 41c day and 12c night . I have a heat pump that is only used at night. I don’t have solar yet (can’t afford it now) so not interested in FIT.

What I am trying to determine is if I should keep holding off on a smart meter or request now a RM108 (Smart Day/Night meter) so that its installed ahead of the renewal date?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Second €298 Pinergy payment due to go out this weekend. My €100 welcome credit should also go on so that'll be nearly €700 on my account. I reckon my first 2 months actual costs will be around 150. Add in the December payment, December & January government credits, and by the 2nd of January I'll have about €1,300 in credits and max €300 of power purchased. That's not accounting for whatever I get for FiT as it won't be too exciting.

@irishchris when do they recalculate your next 3 months of level-pay? Is that calculated as an average of your actual use from the first 3 months?

I've confirmed with Pinergy customer services that I can call up any time after my next period calculation and draw down any of the credit that's there so that'll be about a €1k return which covers all of the crazy high first period.

I moved to Pinergy literally 5 minutes after my smart meter was installed 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

After the three months of use they recalculate based on your actual usage for that first three months. Will rapidly reduce and should get a notification email part of the way through month three with the new level pay amount

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Cool, thanks. So I'll expect a level pay figure around €100 a month for the next quarter and then dropping to bugger all beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Should be, mine dropped to about €26 in month three then €14 following month and then €5 since then

ESBN data seems to have stalled again.

Other note, I wanted to double check that the SM were recording DN correctly, Also exporting the HDF and accounting for the DN change is gonna be a pigging nightmare in excel, Doable, but bah.

Since install :

Day : 1

Night : 694

Export: 280

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi all, we got a smart meter installed a few months ago. We are with Electric Ireland. Our first bill with it was grossly overestimated. I rang them only to find out that:

a) the smart meter is not communicating with them (at all) due to poor internet, therefore I have to upload meter readings for every bill (the guy who used to read it will no longer come if I understood them correctly, bar the very occasional maintenance perhaps).

b) Because it is not communicating with them, we cannot avail of any of the Day/Night schemes, our pricing is standard, with just a little rebate because I complained.

Fibre broadband is not due to be installed here until 2025.

We were directed to ring ESB to inquire further into the actual meters & how to upgrade internet reception or whatever could possibly be done. ESB are saying "it's none of our business, we only supply the meters". (we rang several times)

Electric Ireland were adamant there was nothing they could do, it's an equipment issue. (we rang several times)

I had a look on comparison websites, Electric Ireland seems the cheapest for us, and either way, because of this internet issue, I don't think changing company would help.

I am not sure what to do next. We are paying for these meters with our (rural!!!) standing charges, yet we cannot avail of what they promise to deliver, and we have no option to go back. Even if we upgraded our personal internet, that would not solve the smart meter issue (they use their own ).

Has anyone come across the same situation? Is there anything I can do? As far as I'm concerned, this is false advertising, and the cherry on the top is to be contributing money to that so-called upgrade that does nothing for us, while they are saving money by cutting down on the guy who used to call and read the meter (and he's losing a job!).

Advertisement