Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What you are theorising is middle class people cannot be victims of domestic abuse.

And wasn't Jason the person planning to leave?

No. His sister testified in front of the Judge in the first trial that she recalled a conversation in 2014 that Jason wanted to move back to Ireland before Jack started secondary school, Jack was 9 at the time. She admitted on the stand there was no actual plans.

Outside the presence of the jury, Lynch testified that Jason had expressed to her he wanted to go back to Ireland.

The initial conversation was in August 2014, she said.

Ms Lynch added: “He had good friends there (in Ireland) and appreciated them. He planned to go back there before Jack started secondary school.”

But David Freedman, Martens’ attorney, got her to acknowledge on cross-examination that Jason had not made any plane reservations or made any other arrangements to return to Ireland on a permanent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This thread is mystifying as regards the number of people who are convinced that the Martens are the devil incarnate. Who then rearrange, allege and suppose things that prove their narrative.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe both the state and the defence agree as regards this sentence hearing, that Molly the wife, believed that her life was in danger. That self defence was justified but that she and her father went too far.

Assuming the court accepts this, it's surely done & dusted that the revised sentence will be for unintentional death, manslaughter. That things got out of control in the heat of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Musicrules

That's the thing. The Martens have been painted as you describe while Corbett has been described as a gentleman. That's what I always heard and believed and obviously many still do. The more I've heard about the case, the more things have changed in my mind. I think both sides had many faults, there was abuse in the relationship and Martens ended it in a horrible way. Both Martens deserve sentences but it's not as black and white as first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Not at all. One of the main protagonists in this tragic domestic drama is not in a position to state his case. The rest of us can only engage in informed speculation. Molly alleged extremely violent behaviour, strangulation to point of losing consciousness. An individual from a socially disadvantaged background with consequently fewer options might not have the tools, material or psychological, to make an assertive and immediate choice.This is not a prejudiced or judgemental view of such a person. It reflects reality. In my opinion, a person like Molly in a relatively privileged position would be unlikely to remain in such a situation. She was on her own native turf with no shortage of family support. To use the old Irish expression, she and her father would "say Mass" to exonerate themselves from murder.

The rest of us can only engage in informed speculation.

Indeed. So we can rule out the debunked myth he was planning on immediately leaving the marriage?

Multiple neighbours testified this week that they urged her to leave the marriage but she wouldn't because of the children.

Again, she had absolutely zero legal rights to the children.

Molly alleged extremely violent behaviour, strangulation to point of losing consciousness

She alleged she was "forced" to have sex, which included strangulation and restriction of airways until she passed out.

To use the old Irish expression, she and her father would "say Mass" to exonerate themselves from murder.

They don't have to.

They have plead guilty / no contest to voluntary manslaughter by imperfect self defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Looks like she was obsessed about getting sole custody of Jason's children , literally visiting different legal firms trying to find a way to get custody,her family repeatedly tried to force the issue of Jason signing papers allowing her to adopt his children...

I'm sure several years of coaching and abusing them convinced them to say it out of fear after their father had his skull smashed in by the two psychos

Neighbours evidence was based on what they had been told. It may or may not have been true. There is much evidence concerning Molly's selective relationship with the truth. She had no rights of guardianship of the children. Some might say that this could make a person desperate if they thought the marriage was about to end. Of course it is possible that Jason was violent and nasty! Nobody knows what happens behind closed doors. Voluntary manslaughter by imperfect defence! In name, ,yes. Will they walk? Most likely. Is this justice.Reread the account of what they did to him and make your own decision

Were you living with Corbett and Martens? Or had intimate knowledge of their relationship?

• Advertisement

None of that contradicts what the neighbours testified to.

It rather underlines it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s clear Molly has an infatuation with the two kids and gaining legal rights over them

It’s actually quite sick to read the badgering Jason got from her family pressurising him to sign papers - it’s clearly evident that both Molly and father were simple waiting for this to happen - then of course divorce .

Molly hung on in the marriage, not “because of the children” - because she wanted to “get” the children in the event of an inevitable breakup

Exactly this,

This wasn't premeditated over a day or two or 4 days after his murder this was planned long before his killing

Can’t prove unfortunately but it’s as plain for anyone to see. Thats why this hearing is so sickening - I don’t think I even want to see the reports this week on the night in question, assuming they even cover this, because more lies will be spun that will clearly contradict the forensic evidence- but I’m resigned to the fact that this is essentially a show trial now and a chance for the martens to spin lies - the truth is left far behind.

There's a lot of speculating going on above. I don't think any of us can know what was going on. For example, if I was to say that Martens wanted to save the kids from an abusive husband and father, that's why she was so desperate to have custody rights, it would paint a completely different picture.

But we don't know her reasoning and I don't think any of us will ever know. Anything else is just baseless speculation though but I suppose that's this whole case.

Maybe you’ve had doubt placed in your mind for whatever reason - I don’t have any doubt that they went way and above what was required to “subdue” Jason that night and that they left him to die by not phoning for medical assistance- I also don’t believe they had to “subdue” him in the first place because clearly the forensic evidence points to the attack first happening when Jason was in bed possibly sleeping and Molly fcked up royally when questioned by police on that aspect /, likely Molly herself struck the first blow and then daddy came and took over.

Take it or leave it I don’t care but I’m not going to listen to the sh1te they spout this week if they’re speaking about the night of the murder because it will be even more lies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Advertisement

Can't agree with that. Nobody can be completely sure of the reality behind that handsome smiling couple's domestic situation.And it is human nature to instinctively support a beloved family member and to be tolerant of their shortcomings. Irish people, like all nationalities, tend to be outraged when one of our own is violently hurt abroad. But aside from the hearsay, the rumours, the emotions, the alleged incidents proven and not, stands the horrific forensically accurate account of a human being's extremely violent death at the hands of two people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Just listening to Newstalk. Reports that she was a pathological liar lying to a college roommate about having a baby sister who died of cancer and carrying a photo of a random child around with her to make this plausible.

Lying about being on a prestigious university swim team, lying to a Bible group about giving birth to Mr. Corbett's kids and detailing a difficult labour, lying about having met his first wife and lying about his first wife pleading with her to look after the kids if anything happened to her.

I'm having a hard time understanding why people are believing a word she's saying and why this trial is a thing.

It's the speculation that I was referring to. We don't know the relationship between Martens and the kids and the motivation for wanting custody rights.

Were you there? How can you know anyone's motivations?

And had a new trial happened, all of this would have been submitted by the prosecution - it would at least have provided some balance to her own unbelievable arguments- whilst Jason may not have been a “saint”, we know that Molly most certainly was not a saint.

Well if you read the few posts above around Mollys past behaviour and her obvious concerning claims of giving birth to one of the kids, do you not think that in itself raises huge alarm bells?

Maybe but that's what I've heard before and what I always believed. She was a mad woman who cold bloodily killed her husband. We never heard much about the abuse claims, the kids backing those claims up, texting Martens but then completely changing their story after a few months with Corbett's family. A family that some on this thread had bad experiences with.

I now think the truth lies more balanced than before. I still think that Martens had serious issues, that she and her father should spend a good few years behind bars but also that Corbett was abusive, he wasn't the gentleman painted previously and it wasn't a nice environment for the kids. This is just my opinion on what I'm hearing.

It's all here in black and white and none of it is disputed

You posted the below 2 statements:

I'm sure several years of coaching and abusing them convinced them to say it out of fear after their father had his skull smashed in by the two psychos

This wasn't premeditated over a day or two or 4 days after his murder this was planned long before his killing

How can you claim those statements to be fact and not disputed?

• Advertisement

As many of us have said, regular posters here have never claimed Jason to be a saint - the recorded voice messages etc are certainly not nice but again just as you say, we don’t know the full story behind them. I wouldn’t go as far as to say they prove beyond doubt ongoing “abuse” - you could equally claim that given Mollys predisposition for orchestrating chaos around her, this was just an extension of that - making her husband so mad in order to simply record it all - why was Jason ringing her so many times? Maybe because she was supposed to be at home minding the kids and instead was out shopping putting her credit card in $12.000 of debt? Would that make you shout?

Advertisement