Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remember the 1000 they added for the hospital that was not bombed by Israel pretty sure they are still counted as well and the ones seeing sitting up and looking around them when they are supposed to be dead along with the likes of Fafo too

• Registered Users Posts: 82,375 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But when it suits you, past wars can be used as an example?

Apples and Oranges, death tolls, human bodies, and tunnels.

Some of the reports of tunnels etc. are over 10 years old. The primary evidence in these reports is for tunnels that are almost sure to have been destroyed either in those wars or in the subsequent wars since that Israel waged with the overt stated intention in part of eliminating such infrastructure. I wouldn't even pump petrol from a pump that an inspector hadn't checked in 18 months, but we assume that eg. toyotas and jeeps are flying through tunnels, because of an old photo of a toyota being smuggled through the crossing well over ten years ago. This requires us to assume that Israeli intelligence is defective and never found or went after such evidenced tunnels. The information therefore must be reasonably stale, and it is weird how it's that really old evidence we see of eg. baby cow being winched into a smuggling tunnel etc. is most of the primary evidence we have from the tunnels. By contrast as soon as we found out Saddam had a tunnel hoo boy, you knew everything about that tunnel to what color linens he had:

Im just curious why they never seem to have any great documentary evidence to show, it's all mostly CGI and trust us bro TM with the odd super blurry image from hundreds of feet in the air etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

Yes he is a nutcase perhaps the Hamas terrorists should have thought of that before killing and kidnapping innocent civilians?

So very much sophistry on her part to to say things like eg. "state parties on Israeli territory" and "we have jurisdiction over crimes committed by the nationals of state parties."

Israel is not a state party to the Rome Statue:

The law of treaties obliges these states to refrain from "acts which would defeat the object and purpose" of the treaty until they declare they do not intend to become a party to the treaty.[27] Four signatory states—Israel in 2002,[28] the United States on 6 May 2002,[29][30] Sudan on 26 August 2008,[31] and Russia on 30 November 2016[32]—have informed the UN Secretary General that they no longer intend to become states parties and, as such, have no legal obligations arising from their signature of the Statute.[2][24]

While I cannot question that she looks forward to working with non-state parties (like Israel) to the Rome Statute, she sure as heck doesn't have jurisdiction over them or their nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Why did Israel and it's politicians elect a nutcase PM? They must have heard all the crazy talk for decades. Why is he the longest serving Israeli PM ever?

Why did the nutcase PM only suspend the nuke Gaza minister from his cabinet?

Why did the PM invoke biblical texts to kill every man, woman and child when it's contrary to international law?

Those are all valid questions. Perhaps better to focus on those rather than spend efforts disputing casualty numbers in Gaza which is bombed on a daily basis.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

More? What was the first one? Please, do indulge me.

The the Rabin assassination and the funeral trolling, it seems clear Israel wanted this path its been on for many decades now.

Because

1. They have nearly been wiped out as a people
    2. They are constantly being attacked by terrorists whose stated aim is to wipe them out

That pushes people into extremes just like the **** Israelis done pushed Palestinians into extremes

Now unlike yourself I am actually trying to think of solutions instead of approaching this like a perverse team sport like you are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Who is denying it? Israel is eliminating Hamas. It simply must do it for their own survival. Otherwise October 7th will be repeated time and again as their leaders promised a few days ago

Thousands of civilians are dying in this war. It's terrible, but I think it is unavoidable, given the above mission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There are plenty who say that Israel is not an Occupying Power. There are plenty who say that it is.

Ruth can have her view, but I and many others can have ours.

The problem Ruth and others have is that a "territory is considered occupied when it falls under “effective control of hostile foreign armed forces.” Traditionally, effective control requires three main components: the physical presence of a foreign military without consent; the inability of a local sovereign to exercise control because of foreign forces’ presence; and the imposition of occupying forces’ authority."

Now you might consider me a little stupid, and you have the right to that opinion, but how the fu8k was Israel an occupying power given that Hamas was chucking rockets at it every night and had the freedom to conduct 7/10?  Now, Israel was an Occupying Power prior to 2005, and may become one again, depending on the course of this war, but you can't be telling Israel not to invade while simultaneously holding the view that it has already invaded and has control.

By the way, I am not saying that I know more than a senior counsel on international law, but you can buy any legal opinion you want.

Here you go :

Christians and Jews (who believe in only part of the Scripture), will suffer in this life and go to hell after death. (Quran 2:85)

Kill disbelievers wherever you find them. If they attack you, then kill them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. (Quran 2:191)

Virgins await those who enter paradise. (Quran 3:15)

Those who disbelieve, promise them a painful doom. (Quran 3:21)

Those who brag about doing good will go to hell. (Quran 3:188)

Hamas was chucking rockets at it every night and had the freedom to conduct 7/10

For 2 years in the daylight at training camps and paraglide facilities all under the watchful eye of Bibi, Israeli intelligence, and Israeli satellites. 👁️

Russia is not a member of the ICC, yet Putin has been charged.

That is why I say it is of no import that Israel is not a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Target Hamas leadership through the use of Mossad.
    • Target supporters of Hamas through the use of sanctions (with the aid of other countries and the UN)
    • Show the Palestinians that they don't need Hamas through supporting a two state solution.

Don't come on here and lie that I didn't suggest something when I most definitely did. It is completely disingenuous to be offered some proposed solutions and to dismiss them as waffling without any counter point.

You should be ashamed of yourself to suggest that I (and I presume you mean anyone else) cannot understand this war because I wasn't persecuted for centuries. It takes some gall to come on an Irish discussion platform and to suggest that. The Jewish people do not have the monopoly on suffering that they think is owed to them because of one particular period in time. They were horrendously persecuted and you are belittling the suffering of those who literally lived that and are calling what Israel is doing now genocide with such a post. A disgusting dismissal of the suffering of others. For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Lefties supporting Hamas/Palestine are just this weeks version of the “cool” lads with Che Guevara posters on their bedroom wall.

Michael D definitely wears Che Guevara or Castro pyjamas (size xs). Our politicians are so pathetic on this issue. Michael Martin saying that the government are doing everything to secure Emily Hand’s release. Army Rangers on route? “No, Sorry! - The other everything!”

And don’t get me started on the glorious university brains calling for Israel to be cancelled. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

It is noteworthy that the international media does not express any sceptisicism whatsoever regarding the casualty figures emitted by Hamas.

A good case in point is the strike on the hospital which turned out to be an errant Hamas rocket as acknolwdged by most western intelligence and news agencies. Even Putin walked back his comments. The international media immediately and wrecklessley broadcast Hamas' figures sparking street protests across the world. In the end, a rocket fuel fire burned out some cars in the car park. Most media outlets have taken back the original estimates.

So why is everyone so quick to gladly accept the Hamas cricket tallies every time there is a puff of smoke?

Thanks. Shows the disutility of it doesn’t it? As Putin is still at large. And because Russia doesn’t recognize the ICC nothing will happen with this. A vapid stunt isn’t it. “Alleged”

Just as Palestine can urge the ICC to issue warrants they’re just as useless because they are unrecognized and will not be enforced by any practical means.

Worth noting Ukraine is a state party so those state party nationals ie. Children are worth the ICCs attention to go seek after. (Non-ratified signatory)

Again, for at least the 2nd time to you directly, there's over a thousand Palestinian people in Israeli prisons who are there without having been charged.

It is highlighting in Bold the unequal treatment the Palestinian people feel they experience without any mention of the people Israel is holding.

Do you think that when people say that all hostages should be released, that these 1000 people should be included (it was 1000 before Oct 7th, God only knows what it is now)?

How come? Putin can only travel to allies now for fear of being arrested. That is something.

• Advertisement

Are you actually defending the war crimes committed by Hamas? Your list of actions didn't include the release of the hostages by Hamas. I thought that was an oversight, because surely anyone who has put any thought into this knows that the release of the hostages is key to getting a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Send me a link where a reputable organisation agrees that Israel is not an occupying power. Did you know there are Israeli ground forces occupying Gaza today?

So your "view" is that Israel gets a pass on halting food, water, power, medical supplies and comms to desperate citizens thus causing a humanitarian catastrophe?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Is that different for the POTUS or Bibi? Can only travel to Allies? 🫠

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's a war not a an occupation, as soon as yet they are done with Hamas they will return to Israel and build bigger walls

Yes, there are Israeli ground forces occupying part of Gaza today, but they weren't occupying it on 7 October. It isn't retrospective you know, the fact that Israel are considered an occupying power today because they sent in ground troops a few days ago, only buttresses the argument that prior to the ground invasion they weren't an occupying power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I literally said in my post that what the Jewish people suffered in the holocaust was horrific so you should most definitely edit your post to remove your determining me to be a holocaust denier. Its completely unfounded.

But it is horrific to watch people selectively apply the 'Never Again' statement we all thought as a society we were on the same page with.

And if you want Hollywood solutions, you couldn't find more obvious examples than the belief that you can bomb your way out of the conflict By using more bombs in a 4 week period than probably has been used at any point since WW2. Do you even read what it is you are posting. Trite dismissal of possible solutions, insulting the person making those solutions, discounting the suffering of others, and thinking one group has the right to butcher another because of what happened to them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Would you not expect that given the death total could be up to 10k in the Gaza strip, that new terrorists may be created just joining the terrorist organisations that replace Hamas.

• Advertisement

No where have I defended the actions of Hamas.

Answer the question that was asked of you instead of trying to deflect.

Advertisement