Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The data includes increments for all workers who receive them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

The point was made to clarify that not all PS workers receive annual increments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭salonfire

Of course it does.

So for some reason, people point to the growth in private pay including increments and want that same growth applied to public pay, excluding increments.

Yet again, I have to cut through the spin and propaganda peddled by the majority on this thread.

Post edited by salonfire on

Just to clarify - the data below is earnings data.

Earnings may increase for several reasons, for example:

• general pay increases
    • increments
    • changes in the composition of the workforce

The effects of increments in the PS are captured in this data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭bren2001

And this is why theres no point with you. A PhD from a HEI in Ireland but you dismiss it.

You just dont understand how averages work. You're ignoring people leaving the scale and new entrants. The average stays the same without pay increases if you have a large enough sample. This is going to shock you, the public sector and the private sector are large. The theory of big numbers applies. The sample isn't static. You're implicit assumption it is is just wrong. Everything you're saying in response to this particular topic is flawed and wrong.

• Advertisement

What I say here is not wrong. It is why the chart came into the discussion in the first place.

So for some reason, people point to the growth in private pay including increments and want that same growth applied to public pay, excluding increments.

Then you can't have it both ways.

You either knock off a few percentage points for increases employees would have got routinely anyway so that you're left with the inorganic growth in sector pay, or you include the increments public employees get when calculating the growth in their pay as part of pay deals.

OK, I get you now, you are not saying that the data in the chart excludes the effects of increments in the PS.

You are saying that if, say, the ICT sector get 9% in the data, then the PS should not be asking for 9%, as the 9% in ICT includes the impact of increments in ICT.

Fair enough.

Post edited by Geuze on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You don’t have to…in fact I’d bet my next increment and upcoming increase from any pay deal that everyone contributing to this thread would be happy for you to keep your nonsense out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭combat14

and not all increments actually include a pay increase - workers could get an increment for 3 or 4 years in a row on some scales with no pay rise attached

• Advertisement

It's flawed.

You don't understand a very basic mathematical concept. Averages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

You do realise that the incremental scale is there for the state to make money as they get a service at a much lower price for the less experienced?

If you do not want an incremental scale then there has to be one payment for all at the same price......and that's going to be a much higher cost.

So, by all means, end the incremental salary scales and thus increase the present salaries for the vast majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

I was simply stating a fact that not all PS workers get an annual increment. Nothing to do with the reasons behind increments, or abolishing them, that appears to be something you came up with in your own head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Apologies.

PS - the ones who don't get annual increments are the ones doing very nicely indeed.

I'd love if they stopped increments. Why should I wait 10 years to get paid anything reasonable for my role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Daith

The long service increments after 3 and 6 years are more annoying. Pure civil service getting rewarded for being in the role for a long time and nothing about your abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

I actually can't imagine being so small minded I can't put myself in other people's shoes and realise the importance of trying to improve the situation for all grades so as to benefit the overall operating of the CS/PS. Having the CS/PS continue to be attractive for new staff (an employer of choice, as they like to say themselves), is very important to keep the machine running smoothly. So anyone who actually thinks at least a little bit will give a **** about things beyond their own salaries.

Post edited by Nody on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Hard to know how much longer the State can give Public Sector Workers a Guaranteed DB Pension at retirement, virtually all private Sector workers are on DC arrangements , its about time public sector workers were the same

Then pay will need to increase. For every move to the private style then pay/bonuses/health-care etc will need to balance it.

I'm already underpaid enough thanks

I work in education. There is no scale below me.

I don't care what HEO's AP's etc get paid. Its literally nothing to do with me. The same way I don't care what computer programmers or plumbers get paid.

I'm just being honest that I'll vote for what benefits me. Absolutely no need for the insults. Its an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Daith

That's fair enough, but don't be surprised if there are HEOs, APs and more in Dep of Finance and elsewhere that do care what teachers get paid, and not in a good way!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fizzgig Fozzywig

No new CS/PS employees have been offered a DB scheme for over a decade. The Single Scheme is an integrated scheme. This means that someone with a yearly pension of say €20k, up to about €13k of that will be the state pension. So the CS pension will be worth about €7k a year. As most CS staff are COs, the above will be a very average scenario.

Why would they? I don't understand the public sector structure, I don't need too. I've no idea what an HEO or an AP does. Hence, why would I care what they get paid?

Do I care what other people in education get paid? Sure! I see the effects. Would it alter how I vote? No. I'll vote for my interests. I believe most people vote selfishly. I very much think I am in the majority.

I am a member of the Union because it suits me. It benefits me and my average pay is higher in the Union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Integrated pensions are in place for everybody who’s joined the public service since 6 April 1995. That’s coming up on 30 years worth of recruits

The Single scheme removed the element of final salary in pension calculations from 2011 on. Instead it uses an averaged scale over the career of public servants to decide their pension

They’re still both DB pensions though. Any argument against them usually boils down to a weird gripe with public servants rather than any interest in cost savings though. As has been pointed out if they were to be changed, the likely cost to the state in other areas (pay, recruitment, etc) would be significantly more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Post edited by Rikand on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Well, if anything this post makes a good argument for why the different sectors should probably be separated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

This point needs to be made often as there is a belief out there that increments are never ending.

I think negotiating public pay as a whole makes sense. It's just the the average increase across all grades.

When people start mentioning specifics here about entry grades and flexi time etc i frankly don't care. It will never effect me.

Honestly, can anyone here give me a reason to care what a HEO or AP get paid? It's literally nothing to do with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'm Civil Service, can you give me a reason to care what a teacher is paid? Pay in the education sector doesn't effect me either.

But I do know how much the cost of living has increased, and that it has affected everyone.

I don't need to know what the other sectors are paid to understand that voting in a pay deal that will ultimately leave people worse off - and some worse than others - is unfair. You either get that, or you don't.

Unfortunately, no one can make you care, and I agree with you that most people vote selfishly.

That's why we keep getting **** deals.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Advertisement

But it's a percentage increase across all grades. If the pay deal doesn't keep up with inflation, I'll vote no.

Ultimately, the only number i look at is the percentage increase and compare it to inflation. If it's lower, I'll vote no. If equ or higher, I'll vote yes.

Explain how that has led to bad pay deals? It hasn't. I vote for my back pocket. Not yours. I really don't care about anything else in the deal.

Advertisement