Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

That's why people should not be allowed into the country without documentation to stop human trafficking. Also it's her department That's not fit for purpose making it so easy for trafficking. This country has not got enough immigration control or any control over mass arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

100%

And here’s the thing,

there’s only a part time Garda station in Cashel & that’s closing in a few weeks for renovation’s. Nearest garda station will be in Tipperary town or Cahir, both 20 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

McEntee herself isn't fit for purpose - particularly as Minister for Justice, but even as a TD. She's the most inept, underqualified and thus dangerous senior politician we've seen in a long long time IMO and that is because her current post is such a critical one and which she is failing badly in.

Yet again she's more interested in virtue-signalling nonsense than the consequences these decisions will have on our country - not just now but for the next several decades. Of course she won't be impacted by these regardless.. it'll be her consituents and the rest of us that deal with the fallout (as several countries in Europe are struggling with even as I type this).

As bad as I think SF will be, FG and particularly its senior ministers need to go. I will keep saying this.... look back over the last decade of FG in Government and tell me if things are better now, or worse under their watch. What they haven't sold off, they've messed up to the point of farce and while people are struggling to pay bills or find a home they're busy welcoming any randomer with a sad story with a benefts package that has become internationally known! FF are bad enough but FG are much much worse and have proven it every time they've been at the helm.

While McEntee is busy rolling out the welcome mat, baiting for likes and kudos, and handing out citizenship like cereal packet prizes, the Gardai are quitting because of low morale and the revolving door justice system that she's responsible for, small communties are having dozens or hundreds of new arrivals dumped on their door with little to no warning or supports, and the signs that the magic money tree of Corporation tax may be dying are starting to emerge - but who cares about any of that? It's only the future of the country and what we will leave our children to deal with that we're talking about!

Not surprised one bit, there is not one bit of thinking or organisation in any of this.

Your 100%correct. I quoted in an earlier post that if there was ever a minister in over there depth she is it.

I haven't a clue who I could seriously give my vote to bring a bit of common sense into decisions made for the good of this country.

I'm starting to think having ministers as clueless as mcentee could be a big plus for the government in implementing stupid decisions.

• Advertisement

And i don’t think any of this is by accident, there’s a massive transfer of wealth & property going on between the already wealthy.

The rich are getting far far richer faster than ever before through this trafficking.

You only have to look at who's at the helm...

• McEntee : See above and my previous posts on this individual. A poster child for the dangers of nepotism and sympathy voting
    • Varadkar: Likewise I've posted about him extensively too. Only interested in what will benefit himself, and will change stance according to what he thinks will achieve that
    • Martin: His only goal was to not be the only FF leader NOT to be Taoiseach, and he achieved that by keeping FG in Government and handing the reins over to Tony Holohan and NPHET. He's also another one who is beholden to the EU and getting that pat on the head
    • Ryan: Do I REALLY need to spell out the issues with having this guy in Government? Ideologues and crusaders are never good choices for the reality of politcs. His lot were still propping up the Government when the IMF were walking the streets, and they're doing it now when the streets are being overrun by junkies and criminals, and we have become a destination for anyone with a sad story at a time when the natives are struggling more than they have since the 1980s in some respects

The alternative is SF who think that the people "down South" care about a United Ireland as a primary aim. Sure, ask anyone in a random poll if they'd support it and the majority will say "yes, of course!" Then ask them about the increased taxes to pay for it, the splitting of investment and infrastructure spending, the further pressure on the HSE and other Government services (the NHS might not be perfect either, but the residents of NI would be mad to give it up for our version!) and the further dilution of their voice in the Dail by the addition and focus on NI issues - I think the second poll might be different!

That leaves either the various shades of left minority parties (no thanks - left-learning politics has gotten us where we are now!), or the gaggle of one-issue Independents - many of whom are ex-FF/FG anyway or more suited to being a local councillor - if that!

Of course, in an age of Coalition between the Big Two and Confidence and Supply agreements, it doesn't really matter anymore who you vote for as the Government will be decided afterwards in deals between them all anyway - and I haven't even mentioned the influence of the EU (much like the Church in the old days).

I know I keep repeating myself as I've said all of the above before - but the future of this country is pretty bleak in a lot of respects when, despite the "PR" of record tax reciepts and supposed wealth (the majority of which is on paper alone and showing signs of drying up), ordinary people have their "kids" living at home into their 30s or can't afford to have any in the first place, we're back to the days of long commutes to work because people can't find/afford a place nearby, and the cost of living isn't going to be getting any easier in the face of all of this, as well as the pressure that the above Ministers and their colleagues have added to all of these things by the free-for-all that is our immigration policy.

Honestly, if it wasn't for family ties here I would strongly consider leaving - but the sad thing is that a lot of other countries (cetainly in Europe) are experiencing many of the same issues and for a lot of the same reasons. I'm not sure how we "fix" it, but the current system isn't working for us here in Ireland anyway.

Kaiser, once again a great post with points that no one can disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Agreed

I can imagine the only way the likes of those in the larger parties will change their tunes will be people writing to them regularly and raising these issues and demanding full and substantiated explanations for all this. “Our moral and indeed legal obligations” (tm) does not cut it anymore.

That aside it’ll be engaging them in reasonable debate on these issues any time one of them comes knocking on the front door.

I really don’t think they actually care, if they did we wouldn’t be in mess.

They’ll have gold plated pension’s & probably homes abroad to keep them well insulated from reality in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What's telling about that article too is that no-one was apparently told about this until last Thursday evening - presumably to reduce the time available to respond with questions, challenges, or concerns.

There was clearly time to make arrangements with the hostel and a third party company in Monaghan, agree numbers and dates, agree to move on the homeless people living there now etc...

If this is such a positive thing, with nothing to fear or be concerned about, then why are these moves being done under a cloak of secrecy with the locals and even local representatives not finding out until the last minute. Why? 

Are we certain that the public representatives are not being told. You would think if this was so they would be up in arms about no consultation. From experiences in Donegal councillors, ministers and all public representatives silence is deafening. Perhaps you're better to keep quiet and to protect your seat and hopefully climb up the ranks to a better seat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Maybe it is the fact that they are well insulated from their decisions that they don't care what they do. Looking at the likes of Varadkar and Martin it all seems to be about keeping in with those in Europe to feather their own nests when they leave office.

As for the whole bussing in refugees into towns under the cover of darkness this will only infuriate residents in these towns and villages. This needs to change that government need to start working with the residents in these places instead of using underhand tactics of keeping it all quiet and then bussing people in in the middle of the night. Any arguments that have been made from the people in any of these places has been lack of communication and dialogue from the local Authority and government on these plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

People need to get this idea out of their heads that the government give a toss about the locals, the taxpayers, the voters. Expecting respect from corrupt incompetent politicians will only lead to disappointment.

Like the housing boom of the 2000s, the current asylum seeker industry is being driven by a small number of well connected individuals using corrupt incompetent politicians to make vast profits. Its as simple as that, no conspiracies or anything complicated going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

Would it not be prudent to simply state the decision to make full social welfare payments to Ukrainians is no longer economically viable or sustainable - given the costs due to the amount of people and we have no available accomdation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Could someone local clarify if the owner of the Hostel is also a one time fine gael Councillor of the same name in Cashel 🤔

Post edited by ShamNNspace on

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

Italy has announced they're opening asylum centres in Albania

Interesting because the Commission has been pushing for enlargement and Albania is one of the countries that is next on the list to become a Member State so the Commission shouldn't really have many qualms about human rights standards in their country if they're supposedly well on their way to enlargement. Also a majority Muslim country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

is Cashel Palace hotel taking in a few people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s very true… Well, just make sure you spend your hard earned euros, getting on a plane going elsewhere, that’s what I’ll be doing. Better weather , better bang for your buck and a better experience…And all the tourism pricks here howling durning covid that they needed more support and a reopening of restrictions despite people dying and getting sick left right and centre.

Majority of business people are a complete law onto themselves, just out for themselves…. But when with covid, we the general public are expected to muck in and help them

now they couldn’t give a fûck about us…

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

"Honestly, if it wasn't for family ties here I would strongly consider leaving - but the sad thing is that a lot of other countries (cetainly in Europe) are experiencing many of the same issues and for a lot of the same reasons. I'm not sure how we "fix" it, but the current system isn't working for us here in Ireland anyway."

Its pretty much the same model across Europe regardless of Govt composition. Try walking around Napoli or Barcelona or Brussels etc etc let alone Parnell St. Yet the Poles couldn't muster a 51% majority vote on the recent referendum? Was that the female vote? Meanwhile in the once called third world matters are reaching boiling. Hold onto your hat....they'll be redirected here. Wir shaffen das says Minister McEntee.

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Africa/2022/0808/Why-South-Africa-is-closing-its-doors-to-migrants-it-once-welcomed....

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article273122880.html....

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/11/01/pakistan-deports-million-afghans-undocumented-migrants/....

https://www.france24.com/en/africa/20230222-tunisian-president-says-influx-of-sub-sahara-african-migrants-must-end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭emo72

muslim countries dont want muslim refugees/asylum seekers. mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Israel is trying to ethnically cleanse Gaza and never allow those Gazan civilians back in. The equivalent would have been the UK Govt trying to physically force hundreds of thousands of Catholics to leave NI during the Troubles and move to the Republic (for good). No wonder the Arab countries are not playing ball.

It's always interesting how other countries can say no and that's the end of it (particularly if they're countries with a population of a different colour or religion), yet Ireland and Europe are falling over themselves to accept new arrivals from such countries, no matter the cost to the natives.

But then racism and xenophobia only applies if you're white and live in a first world country after all.

As for Leo, you're referencing the same guy who was against adoption by gay couples - until he realised it was more advantageous to support it and "come out" himself on national radio during the SSM referendum to strengthen his support in an effort to replace Enda Kenny - mission accomplished. The man has no particular political principles or loyalties and will always do what he thinks will best serve him.

He and the others making these decisions certainly won't be the ones dealing with the long term consequences and fallout years from now - that'll be the rest of us.

Cashel says no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

So people power can work.

So what will Roddy and Helen do now? Try and overpower more small villages like Annamoe with 950 at a time? See what happens when the people come together. Will the locals see this as an individual battle or a series of attacks on communities up and down the country? Will members of those communities such as Cashel help other communities in their locality. Flying columns of protestors maybe?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Advertisement