Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What needs to be done here?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

In terms of the area, if the worst thing that has happened was the IRA boosting a car back in 1998 for a bombing, it can't be too bad 25 years later. 😅

Looks more aesthetic related from the photos. A decent budget kitchen, light bulb and fresh lino will not cost €20k though. Some of the things being floated in this thread.. 😅

If the bar is set at fairly decent 80s/ 90s, it should be straight forward and simple enough to make a nice home.

Post edited by JCN12 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sure, besides the fact that the back room looks like it was flooded at some point or had a serious leak in it. The state of that flooring versus the other rooms, the base of the wood paneling and the lino lifting in the hallway all seem to me like serious water damage.

Its a gut job either way, houses are not meant to be left unlived in and its clearly been sweating from hot cold cycling for years. Not sure why anybody would argue otherwise, if you put that up on the rental threads people would laugh at it as being unlivable.

And then you have the problem of either doing it right, or doing it wrong and then doing it right. The right way is to gut everything back to brick and wood, replace windows/doors, insulate everything, rewire, replumb, new heating system, re-plaster, then new kitchen/bathroom/flooring etc. And feel free to cheap out on everything else, like kitchen units, tiles, whitegoods etc. They are easy to upgrade in the future, the core of the house is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dublincc2

It was a pretty bloody awful bombing if you remember it or have any knowledge of the incident. Not saying that it’s a reason not to live there I suppose it’s just a bad mark on an area.

Also there was another incident on the same street where an elderly person was killed in a burglary with the house set on fire.

It is a quite and mature area nonetheless, which is partly why it was chosen for them moving out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dublincc2

Externally there would be work needed done as well I assume? The windows and doors etc.

• Advertisement

Yes, I remember it - terrible, terrible. But it is hardly a reflection of Carrickmacross. Not sure if you have ever passed through, but it is a nice little town.

The surveyors report would highlight such major issues. I would assume they have bought the house with their eyes open, if indeed it was flooded.

Trying to diagnose flooding etc. from a small number of photos is assuming worst case scenario. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

20k should be fairly accurate if the owner isn't doing the work themselves.

Gut old kitchen, new floors and tiling, new walls and painting, rewire, new sockets and lights, new kitchen units, extractor fan, oven, hob, fridge, dishwasher, microwave.

You'd need a tiler, electrician, kitchen fitter and maybe a plumber.

You could do it cheap with second hand stuff and the cheapest everything but that's not what the OP asked.

And that's before we talk about windows and doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It's the fact that there are no photos of the kitchen or bathroom that's indicating worse case scenario.

You don't think the house is that bad, a view obviously shared by the new homeowners.

Everyone else is expressing an opinion on what they'd do to get the house up to a standard they would like for a family home.

For me, I'm very much "do it right first time" mostly because I'm lazy and I don't want to have to do it again in 5 years time.

For me I'd hire a home construction/renovation company and let them sort it out everything and bring the house to a modern day builders finish. That way you're not chasing individual trades people. Obviously that will bring the project in at a higher price, but for me paying someone else to deal with headaches would be worth it. (Though I honestly wouldn't have bought this house to begin with)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

My dad rebuilt his kitchen by himself and it still came to about 6k for materials and the few things that he could not do himself. 20k is a good sum to allocate for a new kitchen, but it probably won't come to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You could pay 3k or 50K+ for a new kitchen

If the vacant house grant is applicable that is the way to go if they can do without the house for 8-12 months

Slava Ukrainii

50k if you want handmade cabinets and marble counter-tops. If you just want a basic kitchen with basic appliances, it won't cost anything close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah hopefully they can avail of every grant going. It will certainly take the sting out of the cost.

The vacant house grant along with the SEAI grant makes the modernising of those small terrace two and three bed houses very affordable. Yes you have to get them to B rated but your cost along with the grant should be no more than 20-50k if even that. Financing it is the hardest part but most credit unions would work with you I wound imagine.

The biggest thing is to assertain if it is applicable

Slava Ukrainii

There's nothing in the OP's post that indicates the quality or the workmanship.

20k is a good middle of the road sum. On the good/fast/cheap triangle, I wouldn't cheap out too much on a kitchen, you'll only be replacing it in a few years.

That said, even the cheapest Ikea kitchen for that size is the bones of 3 or 4k delivered. Appliances are another 2k for basic stuff. Even a basic sink and tap is €300.

That's before floors, walls, electrics, and all the labour involved, and I guarantee the tiler costs more than the tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

That is still pretty expensive for self build but it also depends on what people class as remodeling a kitchen. Some include the white goods and for some that also means a washing machine and a dryer. Then the materials being used can be radically different such as a granite top versus a Formica top. Bathroom and kitchen costs by tradesmen has always been extortionate but has gotten much worse.

Got a quote once for a kitchen which I priced the materials for and it was going to be 16k and 3 days. Materials were 4k so I asked how many people would be doing the work and I was told 3, 2 fully qualified people and an apprentice. So apparently 12k including vat was for labour. Had little choice as time was important. Came down to see progress and there was the apprentice on his own the fully qualified people never spent a full day there. There is no way that kid even got 2k for the work.

The reason my dad did it himself was because he was quoted 21k for the work. The floor needed to come up and be relaid, so there was a fair amount to do, but it's still a lot.

The days of getting anything done cheaply are over. We can thank the state for that due to its lockdowns, money printing and other such chaos that it's chosen to create.

Yeah, that's labour rates for you. Most tradesman nowadays probably base their labour quote on earning €2k a week per person, and you the customer have no choice but to pay it.

Unfortunately blaming the government does you no good when you've a house to renovate and a wife and baby to look after.

Traditionally the price of materials and labour were the same the noughties broke that link. However from 210-14 it was back again. Now its 2.5-4 times materials.

I doubt OP will be spending 15k not to mind 20k on a kitchen for that house. They have other priorities. I saw PC sums allowed for kitchens by builders lately none exceeded 12k and they were for a bigger house than that. The kitchen/ dining is 19X10 so it is narrow compared to houses build in the last 30 years. Also the house is in Monoghan and costs will not be Dublin or large urban centers costs that some are quoting here.

This house needs a fairy substantially refurbishment. It has two open fires the present central heating systems is at least 30 years old. The house needs new bathroom as well as windows and doors.

I be getting the SEAI audit in and apply for the refurbishment grant and go from there. I be budgeting 8-10k max for a kitchen, the same for the bathroom. I seriously consider an extension to allow for utility and downstairs toilet. But it would all be decided by my budget.

Slava Ukrainii

It doesn't solve the problem; I agree. However, we really, really need to see consequences for people in charge if and when they make mistakes.

• Advertisement

I think the PC sums are based on the minimum acceptable kitchen for new buyers, like the cheapest "good" kitchen they can source. The kitchen suppliers and fitters then make their money off the extras. Kitchen island, extra units, stone worktops, door handles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is me thinking it was greed from tradesmen as they know it increases the value of a property. Good to know the government planned the pandemic and made tradesmen overcharge.

When I talk to tradesmen I know they tell me about how they overcharge but you are sure it the government's fault. Simply they don't bother with jobs unless they pay enough so they charge more so they feel it is worth their time. I have no issue paying a fully qualified tradesman 400-500 a day for their skills but when it is basically putting flat packs together (most kitchens) it is a rip off. If the qualified person isn't there and an apprentice does the majority of the work it is a rip off. Not sure how the government is at fault here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as someone i know warned, wait until/if the war in ukraine ends; europe and america will pour money into rebuilding the place. and if you think prices are bad here at the moment...

Indeed. Except, that's not what I said. Either I was unclear, or you're building a strawman. I'll leave it at that/.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

There are two types of tired houses:

1. fundamentals are sound, insulated, recent enough plumbing, wiring. Needs a repaint and a new kitchen or bathroom
    2. fundamental are not sound, looks like it just needs a repaint and a new kitchen or bathroom.

With tired option 2, you aren’t really any better off than the state of that existing house being discussed, except maybe you could move in and drag it out a few years and avoid the inevitable. In my experience you pay a lot more for option 2 above than a wreck like the OPs example, but the end result is almost the exact same.

Advertisement