Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,427 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yep you can run anything, they cannot tell what you are using the power for.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Absolutely. Put the immersion on as well etc etc

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You can run whatever you like in the 4 hour window, remember there's a 500Kw per month cap on the 8c rate, in saying that if you exceed it you're only charged the higher price on what's over the cap and it isn't that much extra. If that day rate dropped a teeny bit more I'd go for it myself. As it is it's just a bit cheaper for me to stay on the Flogas 30c rate. Be nice to be running the car for 8c a unit though 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 32 username3

Cheers all, decided to go for it. First plan I've noticed where the balance was ok-ish between night/day. The window is perfect length to cover 99% of the distances we'd travel in the EV. Also I can boast that I'm charging the car for 2 euro a night and leave out that im paying more for everything else 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I was with energia for years, great company to deal with in fairness, hopefully they'll give you a good offer when your contract ends next year. Let us know how is goes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

I have a standard day night meter (MCC02) and my current contract with Energia is up next Feb. Rates are 41c day and 12c night (since their small price drop). I have a heat pump that is only used at night. I don’t have solar yet (can’t afford it now) so not interested in FIT.

What I am trying to determine is if I should keep holding off on a smart meter or request now a RM108 (Smart Day/Night meter) so that its installed ahead of the renewal date

When I rang Energia last week they said if I was renewing today with the meter I have the rates would be approx 38c day and 19c night, that’s with discounts included. If I had a smart meter the cost would be approx. 36c day and 17c night.

Concern is that by next year a lot of providers could UP the night rates to force people on to smart meters leaving the night rate in par with the day.

Hope that someone who is in the same or similar situation has some advice on the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I have a Tesla M3 on order so I rang SSE yesterday to see about getting a smart meter plan. I won’t get the car until Jan/Feb so I didn’t change my plan. I got a discount to 34c kw/hr though which is good. I was also told that if I activated my smart meter then I’d be automatically changed to a smart plan.

My plan was to activate the smart meter and see when I was using electricity and then make a call on which plan was best. When I look at the various plans around I wonder does it make sense to just stay on a low overall kw/hr plan.

I think that most of the time I’ll only be charging my car for a few hours every night anyway.

Post edited by Kagawa on

The energia ev plan is quite good. 8c between 2am and 6 am. Enough to put in around 28KW into the car for 2 euro! Day rate around 36c.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What do people make of the Home Dual+ Weekender from electric Ireland with free electricity on a Saturday or Sunday. I charge once for free at work during week and once at home at weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭crl84

Yes, I do the same, works great for us. Usually do most/all of the washing and drying on Sunday too. Doing about 70KWh every Sunday, compared with about 10KWh on other days.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭hurikane

Think it’s 100kwh free per month, not great considering the unit prices

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I probably need to sit down and do the maths on this but I have it in my head that if we only plan to charge our EV once a week at home would it make sense not to go with a day/night rate and just stick with the cheapest 24hr rate we can find? I work from home every day although looking at my usage it's still fairly minimal from 9-5, I don't think laptop and monitor draws a lot of power. We have a smart meter btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭crl84

Nope, there's no stated limit.

They have a vague "acceptable use" statement in the T&Cs, with no actual numerical specification of what is acceptable. I've been doing 200KWh+ a month for free for several months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭fafy

Just because you want the RM108 smart meter, doesent mean you will actually get one.

“Before”, I renewed with Energia, i requested the RM108 smart meter, my plan was to go onto their Smart Drive rate which has 4 hours per night on about 8cent, but was told it could take months, i pushed hard to get them to change the meter on email and by phone, but got nowhere. Pinergy have a smart night rate, which is only 5cent inc vat, albeit for just 3 hours per night.

I renewed with Energia, day/night, got the 20% retention discount + €50, and my new plan is to get solar PV installed in a few weeks. Current rates inc vat are Day 36.10, Night 17.32.

Once i get the NC6 form off, i will get deemed export until the meter is changed. Even if you export zero units, you still get deemed export, which is a calculation based on your PV production capacity. I plan on exporting zero during this period.

https://www.energia.ie/cosy-homes/energia-and-the-microgeneration-scheme

Eventually, ESBN will swap the meter to RM108, (but that date is unclear), as i am on a non smart day/night plan, at which point, the deemed export will cease, and i’l get paid for actual export.

In your case, 12c night rate is pretty good, and no cheaper night rate is available, on a non smart meter plan, so i’d be keeping that until Feb, but do the maths on your day/night split, as that day rate is high, but in the meantime. try and get the RM108 installed before renewal date, but as i said, i had zero luck getting RM108 meter installed.

Maybe others had more success, i’d certainly be interested in how exactly, they got the RM108 meter installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I tried Energias Smart EV and it was useless. I couldn't charge the car sufficiently between 2 am and 6 am most nights. I moved to Smart Data and it's working out much better. My charging window is now 11 pm-8 am and it works out cheaper overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It suits many, as under 8cent for 4 hours if you have Energia 20% retention, but not suitable for higher mileage EV users, as you can only get 28kw ish into the EV in that low rate timeframe.

i understand, it is the only tariff that gives a 4 hour window at a low rate, all the others are just 3 hours, with Electric Ireland a measly 2 hours.

It may have not suited you but it's certainly not useless! We have it and are very happy. We are not high mileage so two nights charging has the car filled from around 30%. It's proving extremely useful to us and is only costing just over 4 euro for those two charges. The equivalent price for the same two charges on the smart data would be over 10 euro. Again depends on the mileage you need.

• Advertisement

The Pinergy “cooline” Drive time, smart meter tariff is the lowest of them all, for night boost rates, just 5 cent incl vat, for 3 hours at night, but really only for PV users with battery storage. as day rate is highish, at around 41 cent, allthough it comes with €100 credit, annual standing charge is a reasonable €284.

https://pinergy.ie/home-electricity/cooline/

Yes but even for my use case 3 hours just doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Similar for us. Saturday 'free'. Over almost a year, our stats show 61% of our overall use has been on Saturdays, at zero rate, 39% on the other. days. Once a week charging does the job normally for us. I like the routine of just plugging in once a week. EV is by far the biggest single use on electricity for us. Very happy with this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This is what I don't get these special "EV Plans" of 4 hours. If you're going to call something an EV plan then surely it has to be as long as most EV's take to charge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you can't charge an EV every night within a 4 hour window, then you must be on the road for a serious amount of time per day.

4 hours is 32% of my Ioniq 5 77kwh battery or around 160 km per day or 40k/year just commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Don't think there's any car that will fully change from 10% in 4 hours?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

But why would you let your EV charge go down to 10% before charging unless you were driving 400km a day?

99% of EV owners will plug it every night rather than run down the battery. It's the easiest & cheapest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭joe1303l

For anyone commuting 5 days a week to work at motorway speeds, you won’t travel too far if dependent on that 4hr cheap rate window. If you can manage with just 28kWh per day, you probably don’t really need a 77kWh EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Even at motorway speeds, consumption isn't far odd 21kWh per 100km. Which is 3 hours charging. 100km a day on motorway is a lot.

We have the 3 hour pinergy plan and find the charging window more than enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭munsterfan2

Switched from BG plan to energia plan at start of the month. Data from esbnetworks for the smart meter is a mess - only data for 1st & 2nd and only between 8:00 and 6pm. Very strange and the energia site has me using 4 different rates, same as per BG plan.

Anyone seen this before,will it all sort out eventually ?

Advertisement