Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

1. Quit the snarky remarks, there’s no need for that ****

snarky: “good enough? is this new information you hadnt worked out before after several years on Boards?”

“I don’t write dictionaries for a living”

2 your definition of “woke” is more suitable for fascism than anything I can think of .

”Woke” ,as I understand it, is awareness of social issues and a sympathy towards the marginalised

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyway, back on topic.

@Facthunt my friend, you're asking three different and unrelated questions here, as for as I can tell.

Is Ireland becoming a "woke society"? No - it's just becoming more socially equal, which is neither woke nor a bad thing.

Are people to scared to say anything as it may offend? No, they're too scared to say something because it might be percieved as offending. They don't give a **** if they offend (and not giving a ****, again, is not nessecarily a bad thing).

Are we too tolerant and esaily led? Yes, always have been. First by the church, then by tabloid media and now by more mainstream media. I don't think there's ever been a perido in Irish history where we haven't been easily led. (NB - I think you mean more "passive" than tolerant" - could be wrong)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The most anti woke posters on boards are opposed to everything from refugees to combatting climate change to benefits of any kind for the poor or disabled. They even oppose sex education. Meanwhile they will treat the likes of a black Little Mermaid or female ghostbusters or transgender influencers as the end of the world.

Fyi, at this stage I'm comfortable in saying I have a disability and I don't view any of the so called woke issues to be a problem, it's not an either or scenario. And to be frank, the so called woke crowd tend to care far more about the above issues than the people imploding over them. To use an example, the LGBT community were involved throughout the campaigning and canvassing for Repeal. I know plenty that do canvassing for disability rights, poverty issues etc. Although based on my reading, you'd classify even basic accessibility issues as identity politics.

For me, being "woke" is more about the ego than the actual cause. If you're directly effected by the issue, fair enough - as in, you'd expect transpeople to campaign for trans rights. But for a lot of the others, it's just virtue signalling and a chance to go on look-how-pissed-off-I-am rant on Twitter.

I don’t think that’s fair at all. I’m not trans, a woman or in a same sex relationship. But I know and love people who are, I think it’s perfectly normal for me to campaign on their behalf’s. Even if I don’t know them personally I can be sympathetic to their cause.

I supported the marriage equality and repel the 8th referendums for instance.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

You either have empathy for people who have disadvantages that you don't, or you are a selfish prick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah, I don't get where this callous idea where you shouldn't care about anything that doesn't affect you came from or why it's caught on to the point where people have to write it off as "woke". I wasn't in Ireland for the referenda but I'm so grateful that the electorate delivered a progressive result.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Reminds me of the research that avid readers of fiction tend to be have more empathy. They can identify with different character types.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

From personal experience my mother is a totally selfish personality and she is almost totally lacking in any type of empathy.

She seems typical of a certain type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Personality type would probably be more important and I wouldn't read (sorry) too much into the research, but I'd say there is some basis to it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Some of the main traits of wokeism is the belief that feelings should trump facts and logic.That my truth, or his/her truth is more important than the truth , that it's not right to point out flaws in someones beliefs or argument because doing so would be un-empathetic.That only people who are sufficiently kind and caring (according to the wokesters) have the right to express an opinion and have it taken seriously.Another trait of wokeism show by some of the posters above is that only the woke actually have empathy or consideration for others

It is perfectly possible to criticise this obsession over identity politics and feelings trumping facts and logic and at the same time have empathy and consideration for others'

Wokeness attempts to tug at the heart and fog the mind.

Then I'd argue you are directly involved. I have trans friends also, but I wouldn't assume to know what they're going through or try to speak for them (at least, not without checking first).

I have a black friend, for example, who rolls his eyes every time he hears a white person try and tell another white person to use the phrase "person of colour". Not every black person prefers this term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭TokTik

So by the same token would you disagree with quotas, reducing people crudely to their skin colour/biological sex?

Interesting comment.

I get what you mean by the facts v feelings thing, but I’ve seen this line trotted out way too much by bigots.

A good example is on the the trans debate, in all honesty it shouldn’t even be a debate. Anti trans people say all the time that it’s a fact you can’t change gender and that a trans woman is still a man. They say this is a fact and that your feelings shouldn’t matter. Except it isn’t a fact, this is actually a feeling. They chose to reject the idea that biological sex and gender are different, a feeling they have. They then try to make a stand on “the facts”.

Another example is IQ. Plenty of racists love to point out “the fact” that African Americans have a lower average IQ. They use this single metric to proclaim black people as inferior. But again this is a feeling they have, it isn’t a fact. IQ is heavily influence by upbringing, it’s not some inherent trait.

The fact is, there are far fewer facts about people than “anti woke” people like to believe. People just pick a different set of “feelings” and defend them as facts. Both sides do it, but at least some people are honest about it.

As for identity politics. Another red herring I’m afraid. “Identify politics” was invented by the bigots to keep minorities down, not the other way round. It’s nice and handy to accuse someone of identity politics when all they want is an equal chance in life.

they/them/theirs

Everybody is directly involved in every issue. We all share the same planet. We all have a stake in trying to make things better.

I don’t want to speak for people, I want to defend their right to speak for themselves and remove legal barriers to their happiness

they/them/theirs

they/them/theirs

This is simply rubbish, a fact is a fact a feeling is something else. It's a fact that all people are equal and you should proceed on that basis.

It comes out of the mistaken notion that people on the right are facts based when all evidence points to the opposite been true.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a convenient definition you have, but you are right to point out that wokism is a form of fascism because it is based on in groups and out groups, in the gender area why is there rhetoric about destroying heteronormativity ? all framed in an in group/out group way. or Race "white privilege" in group/out group. Woke isnt inclusive, its decisive with the aim of, from their point of view margenalising the perceived in group as they they see it.

At an individual level any basic psychology would tell an individual not to blame other people for their problems yet woke is a set of beliefs that push exactly that message. So adopting woke attitudes is its own punishment which I find amusing, there is a certain schadenfreude to it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So Trumpsters, anti-vaxxers, climate deniers and racists are woke?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

Convenient allies and all that, now LGBTs are turning their backs on women who have the strange notion that biology matters in terms of what a woman is, even gays are subject to abuse from their own for expressing sexual preference. You would have to have your head pretty deep in the sand to suggest woke isnt causing problems. You only have to look at the US to see that promoting victim narratives based on race is literally killing people.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

you just pointed out that people can be randomly tribal like supporting a football team , which is clearly not what we are talking about. Ive pointed out that its identities based on immutable characteristics and attaching a grievance narrative to it based on in groups/out groups.

If you cannot see that some societal groups are systematically disadvantaged by their status, then you will never understand social progressives.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that if you agree with social discrimination against a group based upon their identity - some day that person been unfairly descriminated again will be you or your children. No one chooses to be born gay, transexual or coloured and it could be your son or daughter, niece or nephew. Surely you would hate to see your own children treated unequally for something they had no control over?

I pointed to the Catholic Church and Nazi party as two examples where your deifiniton is wrong.

Problem is, it's too specific. Group identity can be an aspect of it, sure - but, as I've proven with these examples, it doesn't define it. You can also be "woke" without ever being a member of any marginalised or "preferenced" group. Plenty of straight white men out there shouting from Twitter about how woke they are.

My point is that people are individuals so individuals should primarily live their lives on that basis. If somebody believes that they are systematically discriminated, then you create an artificial ceiling in their lives plus giving them a grievance mentality. Take a neutral issue like a physical disability which does actually limit people, Ive never picked up that people with disabilities resent people without them but in the woke era, it is based on resenting groups.

The race one is a good example, that if you keep telling Black people that they are being discriminated against they are likely to under perform in life and create a self fulfilling prophesy for themselves. The classic Asian kids trope (but true in many cases)is that they get told early on to work hard, go to college and get a good job to earn money so that is exactly what they do. In the US Asians out perform everyone, same as white kids, they dont get told they will be discriminated against because they are white. The last thing you want to do is promote values based on immutable characteristics

I do not agree that people resent anothers privilege, they are against actual discrimination. The two things are very different.

I dont understand how Nazis or Catholics prove anything, being catholic isnt based on an immutable characteristic , as for nazis, that raises a good point because they thought along the same lines as wokies do, its an In group/out group grievance ideology based on the immutable characteristic of race.

looking at the US as the test bed they do, how much negative rhetoric is aimed at whites in the US, or great worst of all white men. the rhetoric is totally based on white people being the problem.

It also leads to some hilarious blowback, Being Asian in the US and applying for a college place means they will be discriminated against for something they cant control

Very little outside the fevered right wing shoutsphere.

It cannot be denied that white people hold massive privilege in America and it is a legitimate area for discussion.

• Advertisement

No, it isn't. Feel free to provide proof.

The US is a country where the regular slaughter of children is defending by a sizeable portion of the population. It's not a great example of anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement