Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

It is alarming for them, seeing as their other daughter was present when Mags became ill. She was living with Jason, Mags and the children at the time. They have released a statement saying how upsetting the carry on in the US is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Show you!! Just like everyone else I'm listening to the reports of the sentence hearing, I suggest you and others do likewise and avoid jumping on a bandwagon. It's very likely that there are no black & white, good & evil answers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You keep omitting the reasoning of this psychopath.

In her mind she was murdering nobody. Her plan was to end his life, plead self defence and be exonerated.

This absolutely would allow her free and to be the children’s guardian.

You have more posts on this thread than anyone. And yet you still refuse to say what you actually believe. Very odd. It’s all just replies to posters (to muddy the waters), who can clearly see that this was a deliberate murder of a man. Not self defense, not an accident. A massacre.

and yet all you keep doing is trying to obfuscate by pasting legal jargon ad-nauseum.

I think that you think she was right and justified. But you still won’t come out and say it…you’re not fully off the fence.

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement

You yourself just a few posts up have expressed some serious reservation about the Irish autopsy and coroner etc reports!!! I agree with you and surely you believe what you write???

This lady now sadly deceased was believed to have died from an asthma attack. The medical expert witnesses in the US have ruled this out categorically based on the details of these Irish documents.

So there's a problem isn't there? My sympathies are with them as the logical conclusion is that whatever certainties they had, these are now open to question. Did our authorities investigate this death fully and properly or just accept the history of respiratory illness and jump to wrong conclusion? Not easy at all for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And yet you still refuse to say what you actually believe

Unlike 95% of the people on her giving their hot takes, I never claimed to know exactly what happened.

But I have already answered that question from you.

I echo but not completely agree with the prosecutions opinion.

In her mind she was murdering nobody. Her plan was to end his life, plead self defence and be exonerated.

This absolutely would allows her free and to be the children’s guardian.

Again, illogical, she hadn't been convicted when the court decided she wasn't legally entitled. She hadn't been convicted when the appeal court declared she wasn't legally entitled.

Legally entitled does not at all mean she had no chance to gain custody should the father die. It simply means she had not an automatic "entitlement". You know this, though

Simple: if the father died of a heart attack, and Molly, as his wife, residing in the U.S. as a U.S. citizen with her two stepchildren living in the family home applied for custody, are you telling me that she would not get it? She would have the strongest case for custody than anyone else. She (being a psychopath) thought murdering him and getting off based on a self defence claim was an option.

Again, for whatever reason, you are posting this legal jargon to justify her murdering Jason. It's so obvious...and you're hiding behind the legal jaron, and hiding behind the "I echo but not completely agree with the prosecutions opinion."

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭boetstark

Would you say the same thing if he was a domestic abuser. Just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

The haven't ruled it out categorically. They've said that based on the report, it's possible that there could have been another cause of death. The report doesn't contain enough information to prove 100% that she died of an asthma attack. That DOES NOT mean that she definitely didn't die of an asthma attack.

• Advertisement

Domestic abuser.....so, away you go and define this, please....people will have very wide ranging criteria of what a domestic abuser is...

But, based off her tales, raised voices, too many texts messages, admonishing her for dressing inappropriately.....completely unjustified to murder him.

And what about the evidence that certain posters are ridiculing that has actually come from the prosecution side.

Let’s be clear here -They didn’t “rule out” anything- they stated that the report couldn’t conclude the cause of death as being asthma related - that let to all sorts of “possibilities”- but these possibilities were far from “probabilities” according to some doctors- it’s simply a case that the report didn’t clearly outline cause of death as being an asthmatic attack - my question for the Irish authorities is why not? Maybe (and I’m guessing here) that the report is only one aspect of the post moretum investigation and without the other pieces such as circumstances of death medical history etc the report in its self isn’t designed to “prove” anything- but that’s just guessing on my part- I’m not saying there’s something amiss in the Irish process but some American doctors are, so it would be good if the Irish medical authorities cleared up that point for all.

Look I never said that what they did to him was justified. As far as I am concerned they killed him and should serve time for that crime.

Was there mitigation, from what I have read so far there is a huge doubt around that matter.

A certain person has created a living / fame around the narrative that this saint was murdered by these evil deranged monsters. That person is a conieving manipulative individual and I know that for facts.

Hopefully this sorrowful saga can end and the two kids can move on to live a balanced happy life without the baggage of both versions of the story.

Who has created a living from this? Is it a book author?

The prosecutions opinion is legal jargon?

Interesting.

Again, posting nothings..

you won’t answer or commit. Deflecting and obfuscating. Deliberately ignoring the custody aspect.

Would I be right in saying that you believe she was justified in ending Jason’s life, but that she and her father over-did the violence? Yes/no?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Good to see you are dropping the "conspiracy" dig

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There’s so much in here I wouldn’t know where to start but an emotional read if you get the chance - a lot of this has played out on social media no less this thread- hopefully we’re coming to an end soon

https://www.justiceforjasoncorbett.com/forum/justice-for-jason/molly-and-the-marten-s-relentless-media-campaign

Molly's supporters helped spread Tom Martens disgusting allegation about Jason's first wife's tragic passing . An allegation that was strongly opposed by Mag's Corbett's family . An allegation that Mag's family and specifically her father Michael Fitzpatrick vehemently denied ever saying. Despite his ill health Michael Fitzpatrick attended a solicitor and made an affidavit to state no such conversation ever happened .The Martens attorney's first claimed that this conversation happened at Jason and Molly's wedding. This was quickly circulated to the local media however NONE of the Fitzpatrick family attended the wedding . The Martens attorney Walter Holden claimed this was a error made by an attorney, the affidavit was amended however this "error" was not circulated to the local media .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Given the circumstances of Mags Fitzpatrick death the cause could easily have been certified by an attending doctor based on her medical history without any autopsy.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/acutehospitals/hospitals/cavanmonaghan/information-on-post-mortems.pdf

When a death is due to natural causes, and the attending doctor can certify the cause of death, a post-mortem examination, also called an autopsy, is not needed ...

An autopsy would not have been carried out in the expectation that it would independently and without regard to the wider circumstances of Mags' death, have to stand up to the level of scrutiny to conclusively prove the definitive cause of death beyond reasonable doubt in a subsequent murder trial.

When there are no suspicious circumstances and death is consistent with events and a known medical condition, an in depth autopsy (or indeed any) would not be required.

• Advertisement

Would I be right in saying that you believe she was justified in ending Jason’s life, but that she and her father over-did the violence? Yes/no?

This is so tiresome.

I have already stated to you personally several times that "ending Jason's life" was not justified.

You are going to have to accept that people are entitled to have a different opinion to you.

Grand..

do you believe she was reacting to Jason initiating an attack on her, and her claim of self defence is correct/justified?

That rather unbelievable but religiously accepted narrative is one of the reasons if you are not rage posting "electrocute" the "deranged" "murdering" "b1tch" your opinion is deemed invalid.

I have no idea I wasn't there, unlike most on here it would seem.

But that would be the accepted narrative of the prosecution.

some balance to the thread - “explosive arguments” were a feature of Mollys previous relationship before Jason

Mr Maginn also criticised Martens and her father Thomas for giving an interview to news channel ABC for their 20/20 programme, and for playing a recording of Jason yelling. ‘I’ve been there and I am not a monster. I’ve been angry and yelled at her too. It was exhausting being around her and her lies. ‘Molly spoke out in the programme but she didn’t testify in the trial,’ he said.

Early on she told me she was bipolar. I hadn’t experienced it firsthand so I didn’t think much of it because she was so fun and happy. But that was only because she was balanced by her medications at that point. And when it wasn’t balanced, she was a completely different person.’ However, he said that they had explosive arguments, and he felt for Jason’s family, telling The Star: ‘I feel so bad for Jason’s family and his kids but I feel so grateful to be alive.’

Fair enough - so all of this was essentially sophistry by the defence and in doing so, has put that poor family through needless additional pain and suffering

If what you’re saying is true, then why did the prosecution not follow up with such a statement I wonder - they could easily have got an Irish medical representative to testify

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'll notice she doesn't make eye contact with the interviewer when she's relaying her tale. She looks up to the right and down to the left consistently. A brick full of fabrication.

No wonder she didn't take the stand she'd be caught out completely.

I believe it was reported that it was stated by these medical experts that it would have been very obvious that a person had died from an asthma attack. Implying that the evidence of this couldn't have been missed in a routine autopsy examination. And that these details missing from the report led them all to agree that it was not likely but that actual cause of death was uncertain.

I'm not sure we should be discussing this as the relatives of this deceased woman live in the country. It surely doesn't sit well though that these queries are being raised and long held beliefs challenged. Requires answers as you say from the relevant authorities here.

It was a cheap shot raised by the defence - neither you nor I have been disrespectful covering this aspect of the case- I would imagine it’s the martens who would merit the families ire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'd see it as being the defense deliberately using Mags' autopsy report out of context and criticising it for something it was never intended to do and then using this to introduce an unjustified element of doubt and try lend some credence to Molly's claim she was in danger.

I hope the judge is just letting them have their say and treats it as the utter nonsense it is.

Similarly with the claim that Mags' father told Molly at Jason and Molly's wedding he thought Jason might have killed Mags, when in fact Mags' father was not at the wedding.

Similarly with Molly's attempts to try and depict herself as an abuse victim, uncorroborated by anything other than her own narrative.

The defense are willing to try drag Jason's name through the mud to excuse the inexcusable. They don't scrutinise their own wild claims as closely as they scrutinise Mags' irrelevant autopsy.

I suspect, but hope I'm wrong, that their background - white middle class American, attractive woman and retired law enforcement officer, has played a large part in how the case has been treated.

I doubt if they came from a different background they would have gotten as far as a plea bargain, but now with a plea bargain and time served the prosecution might not see the merit in arguing over a year or two difference in the sentence, especially for an attractive white middle class American and her retired law enforcement father.

Advertisement