Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Middle Distance Thread

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

This happened a few days ago but I only came across the news today - remarkable longevity and consistency:

There's a video of the event up on YT: Men's Wanamaker Mile | 2022 Millrose Games - YouTube

and a nice interview with the man afterwards: Nick Willis after breaking 4:00 for 20th straight year - YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Big Bump. I've run multiple 1,500m races this year, no mile races and (surprisingly) not a single 800m. Once I realised I couldn't make the National Masters date I kind of just stayed tipping along with how I've been training this year. Following the Easy Interval Method and I've felt I've steadily improved this year over the slightly longer distances of 5k and 10k.

Missed the Griffith Avenue mile this year. But it looks like my time from last year would have found me a lot further down the field than the high position I got in 2022. It's a great race.

Ran the Clonliffe 2 mile last month. Another great race and the oldest road race in Ireland so should be one for people's calendars.

Into Cross Country season now but I'd love a 3k race if anyone knows of one, as Clonliffe reminded me I've yet to race a 3k and set an official PB for it. I'm wondering if the NIA indoors will be the place to grab a race unless anyone knows of any others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Probably going to be a Baseline meet in AIT first. Early December I'd say. 600/1000. I reckon.

I was running 200/400 last couple of years but I'm up to 400/800 now. Enjoying training that bit more.

Never heard of the Baseline Meet before. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.

You've touched on something mentioning 400s though. Something I'm considering for 2024 and that's to run a few 400m races. Set a time and see if I can improve by doing a little specific training for that distance. A few reasons

(1) I think I should be just about sub 60 already and would be disappointed if I wasn't.

(2) Kids are starting doing a bit of athletics now so it would be fun to train some fast stuff myself and maybe learn together.

(3) I've never trained for sprinting before. Health note: I'm a Masters athlete

Would you recommend any specific training plans worth looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

There can be no better feeling than setting a time and then either chipping away at it or knocking chunks off it.

1) sub 60 is a quick enough time, in relative terms. You could be Billy Lightening though, so it could be within your wheelhouse to easily run sub 60 but it might also not be. Don't be discouraged if you don't hit it immediately.

2) getting them into drills for form will really help their running. It's fun to do together because everyone is self conscious about them at the beginning. But they are reasonably essential for trying to run faster.

3) I'm 43 and I've learned the hard way that as a Masters athlete, recovery is key. Can't be putting hard sessions back to back anymore. Especially if your working on lactic threshold/speed endurance or speed.

Specific plans.. that's actually a tough one. I've had lots of coaches throughout the years and trained with Olympians and National Senior Champions and still, I get it very wrong. I have the odd few sessions that I lean into at this time of the year to build fitness for the 400m.

12x200m @38-40 with 2 minutes recovery (active but no big deal if not). Your just looking to develop patter/pace control.

Within 4 weeks, you'd be looking to take that down by a second or two and even reduce it to 10 reps, and so on.

I'll run hill repeats too. Good for leg strength and turnover. You probably do hills but your looking to get a good little patter going, almost a slow sprinting style and then just maintain the pace. First few steps in hills are key to the rest of them. No big long strides.

Weights. Take it or leave it. Save your knees and just keep it to hills. But if you must. Bodyweight squats/Lunges, Frontal/Medial raises. You can add a bit of weight but you don't have to. People really lose the run of themselves with weights and then pay some sort of price at some stage. Either in the joints or just losing a running session as a result of a weights related strain.

Brianmac.co.uk is probably the best coach around with his sessions that can be tailored to your needs. You just enter in your hopeful/predicted time and it will spit out your sessions. The site itself is very detailed but once you get the hang of it, it's a really good resource. I got chatting to him years ago, and discovered he absolutely knew his stuff in person. Finding stuff like that online, you have a tendency to not believe any of it so it was reassuring to discover that he was absolutely legit.

Wow loads there, thanks. I did a few plyometrics last Thursday with the kids (about 12 minutes worth) and was still feeling it in my quads on Monday so recovery requirements are well noted 😂

One of the EIM sessions (was planning on doing it again today) is 16x200 w/ 200 recovery (takes around 70-75s). Goal pace is to start at mile pace and work down to 800. I usually run them at 800 or faster (low 30s) so no doubt overcook them a little but I enjoy the effort. Recovery from these the day after hasn't been a issue.

Just on the hills, how long and steep? I certainly don't do near enough hills.

Also, Track and Field Live(formerly NIA) just launched its Winter Programme -

2023/2024 Season

• 29th Nov – Sport Ireland NIA (Entries open)
    • 7th Dec – TUS Athlone
    • 13th Dec – Sport Ireland NIA
    • 10th Jan – Sport Ireland NIA
    • 25th Jan – TUS Athlone
    • 3rd Feb – Nenagh (Juvenile Only Event)
    • 7th Feb – Sport Ireland NIA
    • 28th Feb – Sport Ireland NIA

Post edited by Dubh Geannain on

Looks like the Baseline meet on December 1st is running a 3k. The time might be a little too early in the evening for me to make it. But there's also the 800m running later.

The kid done good. Been following Fog on YouTube for a few years. What a rise it's been.

He'd a decent race a few weeks back but still never guessed he'd nail such a time.

A much longer than normal video from him. I'll have to let him off on that 😏

• Advertisement
Advertisement