Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You don't know what's happening, yet you scream murder and genocide? I'd like to be as objective as I can. And on the balance of probabilites, it looks to me like IDF are targeting terrorists. Killing a lot of civilians in the process. Whether those numbers are proportionate or not in these circumstances of human shields and terrorists using civilian centres as their operational base and not wearing uniforms (all of them war crimes), I don't know. There will be thorough investigations though and if war crimes are commited, people will be convicted. Like Putin was. It doesn't matter if your country recognises the ICC or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A lot of that going around

In this case the boy wasn't counter-protesting and getting in peoples faces. A boy was just stabbed 26 times by his landlord for being a Palestinian a few weeks ago. The landlord was 2 years older than the victim-gentleman in the case you referenced (71).

Notable observation from the police reporting and the autopsy reporting you provided is that they do not confirm whether it was blunt trauma from the megaphone or blunt trauma to the back of the head from falling - which they made a point of mentioning. They don't mention a megaphone.

During the altercation, Kessler fell backwards and struck his head on the ground. Kessler was transported to an area hospital for advanced medical treatment. On November 6, 2023, Kessler succumbed to his injuries.

Several posts and initial news reports misleadingly stated he was beaten to death with a megaphone.

You don't know what's happening, yet you scream murder and genocide? 

I wot?

There will be thorough investigations though and if war crimes are commited, people will be convicted. Like Putin was. It doesn't matter if your country recognises the ICC or not.

I see and where is he presently jailed? Has this 'conviction' affected the war at all?

Whether those numbers are proportionate or not in these circumstances of human shields and terrorists using civilian centres as their operational base and not wearing uniforms (all of them war crimes), I don't know.

You agree, we don't know what's happening here. Thanks for confirming my post you took inane umbrage with.

@Overheal - "Notable observation from the police reporting and the autopsy reporting you provided is that they do not confirm whether it was blunt trauma from the megaphone or blunt trauma to the back of the head from falling - which they made a point of mentioning."

Probably from hitting his head falling, but either way it's homicide / manslaughter

@Overheal - "A boy was just stabbed 26 times by his landlord for being a Palestinian a few weeks ago"

Brutal. Hope the killer never gets out of prison

He even looks unhinged. Wonder was there a history of mental illness

Probably from hitting his head falling, but either way it's homicide / manslaughter

Indeed but not 'beaten to death with a megaphone' which is how initial buzz reported it.

Wonder was there a history of mental illness

Why attempt to downplay the hate crime with empty suppositions like this? Racism is a mental illness. We aren't downplaying whoever shoved the 69 year old with having a mental illness and requiring sympathy? We just write them off as an antisemite yes? Double standards for knifing palestinian boys?

• Advertisement

"I wot?"

You are saying you never used the word genocide or murder in this thread in relation to the killings of civilians in Gaza in this current conflict?

Already shifting the goalposts? 😂

Where was I screaming these things? Did you miss the posts where I reasoned it didn't meet the definition of genocide? Give over. It's ethnic cleansing, and they are killing thousands of children. Even people in this thread continually argue millions should be permanently displaced! I don't think I bothered using the term murder, they don't recognize laws anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

There's an impending ICC invetigation re Israel vs Palestine, they know very well they are going to be scrutinised at the ICC (the fact that Israel is not a signatory means nothing, "Palestinian State", EU et al are). Thinking that they are relaxed is incorrect reading of the situation - it's not in their interest to do so. There's lot of nuance that's lost on people outside of Israel (or contact with it) or who haven't been following the conflict closely. Especially, if they've decided for one side on idealogical grounds and no amount of rational arguments or evidence changes their position.

• The whole nation is united regarding going full in and detroying Hamas by military means. Left to right. Usually happens during their wars.
    • There's been a lot of criticism from the opposition on specific aspects and also the government policy. Nothing new, it's been going on for a long time.

Centre:

Opposition Leader Yair Lapid lambastes Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu’s assertion that dropping a nuclear bomb on the Gaza Strip is a possibility, branding it “a horrifying and insane remark by an irresponsible minister.”

“He offended the families of the captives, offended Israeli society and harmed our international standing,” Lapid says.

“The presence of the extremists in the government endangers us and the success of the war goals — defeating Hamas and returning the hostages.

Left:

The Prime Minister’s Office is mad about the media portraying the boss as dealing with his own survival even as soldiers are killed, even as tens of thousands of refugees are struggling to get by, even with the hostages deep in Gaza. The problem is that this is what he is doing. This is no false portrayal. This is an accurate reflection of his deeds, and his failures. As long as Eliyahu continues to hold the title of “minister,” Israel’s government will be considered by the world to be an extremist, insane, dangerous entity.

https://archive.ph/20231106063241/https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2023-11-06/ty-article/.premium/netanyahus-far-right-ministers-are-his-assets-and-for-israel-a-liability/0000018b-a119-d42c-a9ef-ad7fce690000

With regards to Western democracies and the dilemma, none of them were in a similar situation since the WW2. Even WW2 is hardly comparable to the reality of Israel. The EU hasn't been able to defend itself without the help of NATO/US protection since 1945. The EU isn't able to get rid of a very dangerous protracted war on its border which has huge implications for European stability for a long time ahead. I don't think any country in the EU, and especially "neutral" Ireland, is in a position to engage in a backseat driving re Israel. I don't say criticism is wrong, I'm saying ithe narrative is naive, hypocritical and out of context.

Post edited by McGiver on

Sounds that is what you would like to see to back up your indignation.

Assuming the refugees are not attacked by Israel as they make their way south, could you check back in later and acknowledge that?

@Overheal

Thanks for admitting it, saving me having to go look for proof ;-)

So you: genocide, ethnic cleansing, but I don't really know what's happening really

Me: on the balance of probabilites, IDF is targeting legitimate military objects, but I don't really know if the number of civilians killed in this can be considered proportional or not

Who has the more balanced view here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Too late for that assumption

Some reported Israeli soldiers firing at them and said they passed bodies strewn alongside the road.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

Scanning through their twitter feed, there is not a single piece talking about Palestinian deaths. Yeah right they dont have a narrative they are pushing!

They have managed to hook you in well it seems - publish a few pieces accurately on Ukraine and suddenly you are all in on whatever narrative they are pushing.

Do you have a problem reading my post? I said it was not genocide.

Do you want balanced views or ad hominem nonsense based on bad faith interpretations of exactly what I wrote?

@brickster69 - you have been told this before. A siege is not a war crime. And it is not up to Israel to provide the enemy with water / gas / food etc. It would be a war crime if they didn't let 3rd party aid in. But they are not preventing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,556 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So you want Israel to attack Qatar which is hosting Hamas leadership first, then go after the rest of the militants after this?

Is this your point?

Except when it is

“Let me be clear: The use of starvation as a weapon of war is a war crime.”

Five bakeries in the Gaza Strip have been directly targeted by Israeli strikes, and at least eight more have suffered so much damage from attacks near them that they have been rendered out of service.

My apologies if I misread you. So you are not calling it murder and not calling it genocide, but you are calling it ethnic cleansing? Presumably because Gazans were advised to move from North Gaza to South Gaza as the former would be turned into a war zone? IDF simply had to do that to comply with international law, don't you agree?

"Israel will have to attack Qatar if they want to "eradicate Hamas", which is what they have claimed is the sole point around their current bombing campaign."

the point is Israel stated it wants to eradicate Hamas, in order to do what it wants to do, Israel will have to attack Qatar. That's irrespective of what internet anon's want, and the personal interrogatory is utterly pointless: that's the truth of what Israel wants.

Yeah why did that happen we reckon?

Ah, so another example of Victim blaming.

"Hamas attacked Israelis because they were 'mean' to them"

Tell us all, do you use this rationale for 2 thousand years of anti-Semitic actions? From Pograms in Spain and Russia to the Holocaust? What caused all this? Were Jews being 'mean' to their neighbours? Did they have it coming to them?

If only the Jews were a bit nicer to Adolf Hitler in his formative years, they could have avoided the Holocaust. Who knew!*

*We all know that Hamas want to eradicate all Jews from Palestine and the world. How 'nice' or 'mean' the Israelis are to them is immaterial, and those who trot out this victim-blaming narrative are themselves engaging in parroting Anti-Semitic tropes that at the end of it all, the Jews had it coming to them this time around..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

You asked, 'illegally settled.' I provided land that was returned after Israel had won a victory and claimed it. Any land claimed as a result of the 1967 war is rightfully Israel's, they've been giving some of it back, though.

Lost: are Gazan kids being collectively punished for 2000 years of antisemitism?

If not what's your point? There's a lot of victim blaming being thrown at the child. Now the child has to answer for the Russians and Adolf Hitler??

History didn't begin on the 7th though we agree on that. Israel isn't a hapless victim in this, they're an architect:

The people who died on the 7th, of course, also victims, and did not similarly deserve collective punishment for what Likud did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

Another believer in two wrongs make a right I see

or that 'they've done 2 wrongs, we've done everything right'

which is fantasy

Nice bit of deflection there.

Regardless, Hamas's use of the civilian population as cover and human shields is well known and beyond dispute.

Quips and the like do not distract from this. This is what Hamas wants. They have said it.

For a fellow who is in favour of regime change in Gaza you have an odd way of supporting it. Or is there some magic bloodless way one can achieve regime change?

If so, do tell us all what this is, and who everyone from the Americans, to the French to the IDF are doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The hostages aren’t a solution, they’re an excuse. You don’t mention Palestinian hostages taken by the IDF, maybe an oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Leaving aside the 4+ times Israel have bombed the Rafah crossing, they have a naval blockade on Gaza, preventing aid from being delivered from the sea. So yes, they are preventing aid.

Jordan had to do an airlift of medical supplies to one of the hospitals in Gaza, sure would have been easier driving it there or sailing it there.

So 8-year-old, Emily Hand, who is believed to be kidnapped and taken hostage by a terrorist group isn't a victim in your eyes. Pretty depraved point of view tbh.

What happened to her and her dead mother was and is a war crime yet you don't see them as victims...

''they have to attack Qatar.."

Ridiculous assertion.

Tell me, when the Allies destroyed the 3rd Reich, did they have to kill all remaining Nazis? Many of them escaped to South America, or was VE Day not really a victory in your eyes because of this fact.

The point? There are a number of ways to eradicate Hamas from Gaza that don't involve attacking Qatar.

Is attacking Qatar a thing you advocate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭brickster69

Another international law expert has just turned up. The amount of trucks that has been allowed in a month is what normally get's delivered a day. Who is preventing those goods from Egypt entering ?

If Israel control what is allowed in, control the air and sea who is preventing these goods from getting to the people ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement