Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,556 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yes and no but you reveal the true nature of Hamas.

Hamas attacked Israel on October 7th knowing what the reaction would be, yet did it anyway. They knew the terrible suffering its people would endure but went ahead.

Do they strike you are reasonable brokers whom one can make peace with? It seems to me you agree they are a death cult, but then the question is, what is to be done with them? Leave them be?

The second point is, it appears Hamas are surprised at the level of ferocity by the IDF. They knew there would be blowback but even they, the death cult themselves are surprised at the ferocity. Seems like they are running a little scared. Maybe the IDF are closer than we think to victory in wiping them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,908 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That is not the case at all. Very few IDF will die because Israel does not risk a fight like that. The thousands who have died and who will die in the future are just the same as those who died in Israel on Oct 7th i e innocent people. Israel gives exactly the same consideration for them as the murdering Hamas scum gave to the Israeli innocents. That is the shame of it, Nobody learns anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,829 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If the leadership is in Qatar or elsewhere, and the IDF is bombing thousands of dead kids, they aren't wiping anyone out, and there is no such victory. They will just be back later with more people IDF's own 'ferocity' has radicalized. That's a formula that's worked for Likud for decades.

Holocaust denial is not unlike denial of thousands of dead children in Gaza right now. So I don't know why the Holocaust keeps getting dragged up like it ends all discussion.

What the IDF says is under dispute

What Hamas says is under dispute

What someone says under torture will be in dispute

Hmm, bit of an own goal.

No one is denying the many children are dying in Gaza but hard to get independant true figures. Yet, you parrot the Hamas numbers but in the same paragraphy say they its under dispute. Odd that.

QED: still in dispute, to claim it's not in dispute is delusional.

As I said, kind of like Holocaust denialism, regardless of the evidence some won't want to believe it.

One this.

So I don't know why the Holocaust keeps getting dragged up like it ends all discussion.

Because some parrot outright lies and falsehoods as if its true

E.g.

• Hamas are not anti-Semitic.
    • Hamas don't use human shields.
    • Anti-Semitism has nothing to do with this conflict or all Arab-Israeli conflicts going back to 1947 or further.
    • Israelis who died or were taken hostage are not victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

They wont be wiped out though. As has been pointed out, their ultimate leadership is not in Gaza and they will continue to recruit and radicalise in an environment where a generation of kids are now seeing their parents, brothers, sisters, friends etc annihilated by Israel.

An as Netanyahu or whatever ultra nationalist comes next see Fatah or whatever Palestinian leadership was to follow look like they might be getting a unified, coherent set of policies that could lead to a Palestinain state, they will then prop up New Hamas or whatever they morph into to undermine any chance of a successful Palestine. And we know this because Netanyahu has already done it before.

Well Jews lived there too and have lived there for 4000 years.

What is happening now is not going to eradicate Hamas. It is going to strengthen them in the future. It is illogical to think otherwise. The future of Hamas is secured by the actions of the Israeli army and Government. Hamas might exist in the future by a change of name but their objectives will be exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

We have never left it. To avoid losing territory, don't initiate total war on your neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

What you are saying is tantamount to me saying that you don't believe the 4000 dead Gazan children are victims.

Do you know what the word "proportionality" means?

You'd be forgiven if you said the word has lost all meaning in the last month...

And Bibi is a bit of a c*unt..his time is numbered.

Still doesn't negate my point about the true nature of Hamas, its Anti-Semitism and that being the root of this conflict.

Doesn't matter how nice the Israelis are, Hamas will still hate the Jews and want to kill them all.

Ridiculous thing to say. Thousands upon thousands of Hamas militants and their commanders have been killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Arabic nations will not do anything, as always. They're big on rhetoric but when it comes to taking resposibility for the Palestinian cause and their fellow Arabs, no action. Also, the Islamic world is heterogenous with competing interests - non-Arab Sunni Turks, Arab Sunnis lead by the Saudis and Arab and non-Arab Shias lead by Iran, all of which want to be some sort of a regional power. They spend more time scheming against each other and opressing their own people than anything else.

The neighbouring Sunni Arabs are way past of trying to go to war with Isreal. They lost wars they initiated multiple times and signed treaties with Israel. I believe Saudi Arabia will sign a peace treaty regardless. Even if Iran tries to pull South Lebanon, Yemen and Syria into the war. Yemen can't really do anything, that's saber rattling at best. Hesbollah can cause a lot of damage but only to its own detriment. The only real danger here is Iran, but Iran plays a long game and it's unlikely it will do anything directly. One trump card could be forcing Iraq Shia militias to fight, but why would they fight for a Sunni Hamas...

The Mizrahi Jews and Palestinian Arabs are closely related and both descended from the ancient occupiers of the region. Mizrahi up to about 50 years ago were called Arab jews and Make up about 30% of the population of the country.

You seem to be under the illusion that people who criticise what Israel are doing dont think any Jews should live there at all.

Pre the split of of the Ottoman empire, Arabs in the region were happy to sell land to Jewish people who wanted to move there. The three communities co-existed quite well.

Hmm, bit of an own goal.

No one is denying the many children are dying in Gaza but hard to get independant true figures. Yet, you parrot the Hamas numbers but in the same paragraphy say they its under dispute. Odd that.

Not that odd, not an "own goal" (if this is tit for tat for you please desist): it would be in bad faith of me not to acknowledge that many users on this thread dispute the numbers. It would also be failing to acknowledge the rebuttals I've asserted to that, showing that on the main, the numbers are far more reliable than those disputes wish to allege. There has been much dispute about the numbers on this thread.

As I said, kind of like Holocaust denialism, regardless of the evidence some won't want to believe it.

Doesn't make either of those types correct. I'm not excusing denial of either.

Because some parrot outright lies and falsehoods as if its true

E.g.

Hamas are not anti-Semitic.

Hamas don't use human shields.

Anti-Semitism has nothing to do with this conflict or all Arab-Israeli conflicts going back to 1947 or further.

Israelis who died or were taken hostage are not victims.

I haven't seen anyone argue Hamas isn't antisemitic.

I haven't seen anyone argue Hamas has never used human shields. Users have also tried to offer apologia for the IDF that they treat each bomb (of the thousands they've dropped) on a quote "case by case basis." running around with a quote from 2011 or a report from 2014 isn't 'case by case basis' for verification of such use of human shields. Evidence you provided shows that the current stance of Hamas is to not put the civilian population in the tunnels -- this patently avoids them being used as human shields in those tunnels...

I don't recall where anyone said anitsemitism had nothing to do with the conflict, the point they were making iirc is that the primary instigating factor for this conflict was crimes - murdering journalists, kneecapping kids, apartheid, etc.; totally debatable -- one of the roots of the entire shebang is the Al Aqsa Mosque, the disputes over it, by definition are sectarian (and the ecumenicals are rife with phobias).

I don't recall anyone saying hostages and dead innocents were not victims, as i explained in a post above, to an example you think matched this description but which doesn't tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That hasn't been the case since post ww2 era. Theres no "to the victor belong the spoils" anymore.

This means that Gaza will have to be occupied by someone. Either the IDF or some international peacekeeping force and stop Hamas or whatever their cousins are from taking power. Build a society where youngsters can turn their attention to something other than Hate for their Jewish neighbours which is sadly endemic.

I asked before, what would you do?

The objectives of Radical factions have been in existence since 1947 when Arabs tried to drive the Jews back into the sea.

Anti-Semitism has existed for thousands of years. No one is going to think that this conflict is going to solve it.

What would you do?

And thousands upon thousands of new members to secure the future. And all of them more violent and willing to shed blood because they will have lived through the brutality of the present conflict. It will be fresh in their memories. Nobody seems to learn that repeating history doesn't work.

• Advertisement

You dont understand - they are trying to either provoke neighbouring countries to rise against Israel or provoke the populations of those countries into revolt. And because it may not work does not mean its not their. Either way, the overreaction by Israel is doing nothing to advance their long term security.

Well the two state solution is out now as seems likely. Peace even temporary is unlikely so it looks like Rinse and Repeat.

What is proportional?

Israel kill exactly the same number of Gazans as they lost on October 7th?

Perhaps vent your ire at Hamas for failing to protect them.

Not ONE bomb shelter is available for them, yet there are 500km of tunnels under Gaza but only available for Hamas militants.

Imagine the IDF occupied their own tunnels and bomb shelters while its civilians remained out in the cold. Inconieveable right? This is what Hamas are doing?

Even the Nazis built bomb shelters for its own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Not since Oct 7th, in anything I can find online. Unless you’ve a source?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Ideally peacekeepers. Israel prior to Oct 7th werent acting in a peaceful manner towards Palestinians. West Bank is proof of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Economics101

Of course the letter (from Edward Burke and others in to-day's Irish Times) attacks the original signatories: that was the whole point - to attack a very unbalanced letter. The rest of your post does not convince me in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

The UNRWA has an issue with jihadist/genocidal narratives.

More broadly, the IMPACT-se study found that at least 100 Hamas members who have carried out terror attacks against Israelis in recent years are graduates of the UNRWA education system.

The Monday report highlights comments by 14 UNRWA members, and examines the participation of UNRWA school graduates in terror attacks against Israeli civilians as well as the presence of antisemitic and jihadist content in textbooks used in UNRWA schools.

What is worse is that the UNRWA school curicullum is indoctrinating Palestinians with anti-semitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Advertisement

Just a few posts ago you decried victim blaming, and declared victim-blaming was antisemitism.

So, what tropes is #17626 engaging in now? Propping up the Nazis as a good bunch of lads who built bomb shelters!

Advertisement