Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Paul McGrath wasn't one of Ferguson's "boy he wanted to guide to greatness" - He was an established senior player already at Man United for four years when Ferguson arrived as manager. The club had a very deep rooted and problematic drinking culture at the time, which Ferguson could see had to be rooted out first before any actual progress could be made on the pitch. Paul McGrath was only one of many who got the boot from the club in the mid to late 80's as Ferguson went about improving the standards. With 30 plus years of hindsight, yes he could have handled it differently and tried to weed out the arseholes taking the piss to the well intentioned players who needed personal help but we have to remember he was the new manager in a new club and he had to start getting results quickly. 9/10 people in his position would go with the new broom approach and try to ship out the deadwood and bring in his own picks.

Over the next 26 years, Ferguson always petted his star players who were an asset to the club and tried to do all he could to keep them sweet. Eric Cantona being the prime example. And if they could no longer keep the standards that were set, were unwilling to or were just over the hill, he would move them on. So what. That's what he's paid to do as manager. Keep a winning team. He proved over three decades, he knew what he was doing.

Where Ferguson was an actual father figure was with youth players. I could name you dozens of young players who went thru the United academy system and didn't quite make the grade. Guys the Nevilles, Scholes, Beckham etc played with but ultimately weren't good enough. None of them were booted out the door with a kick in the arse. Ferguson and the club always did their best to sort them out with new clubs and moves that suited them and their families. Many such ex players spoke of being in contact with Ferguson for years after being at the club, getting advice and his input on their careers.

As for Jack, I think he may have been posthumously sainted without me knowing but he was just as ruthless and unforbiding as Ferguson when it came to his philosophy. He may have helped McGrath, but McGrath would play the way Jack wanted, so Jack did his best to accommodate him. Was Jack as lenient to Dave O Leary, or Liam Brady? Two hugely talented players who would walk into practically any first team in the world, but whose international career was axed under Jack because they wouldn't tow the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not sure that a 5 year rotation would work given the small pool of potential guests available.

With the current "light entertainment" focus there is less scope for regular guests than there would be with a panel discussion type set up.

I suppose you are always going to get a few guests per season who just don't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭amacca

That small pool is potentially the problem and one of the only ones they might be able to fix.

There has to be something other than the usual circle jerk candidates that keep getting trotted out

Include one shock jock type pick or something off the beaten track occasionally....there has to be entertaining interview able guests outside the canteen and usual circuit that are willing and don't cost the earth no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Herxules

Poor Kielty is struggling big time.

The opening on Friday was painfully cringe. The "I've No Tickets" thing....to think he had to actually print off those and place them inside his jacket and behind. Immature isn't the word..

Someone needs to tell him it's not a comedy gig, you can't do the same material every night. How many times is he going to do the "X has written to me"

Not sure if anyone noticed, the interview with Andy Cole was pre-recorded. I was thinking there was something off with the camera switching and then when he introduced the band after Cole, it panned to an overhead view and Cole wasn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Everyone noticed and we know about prerecorded interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Friday was by far the weakest show so far (mainly due to the guests though in fairness) but the week before was brilliant. Be hoping for a return to that standard next week.

I think the production team have trouble understanding what the audience find interesting , they are going for Graham Norton style entertainment which we don't need or want, apart from the fact they're failing

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Herxules

I predict the toy show to be a huge failure.

Kielty knows how Ryan got the toy show love....singing, making a fool of himself and getting ill children to cry.

I predict Kielty to try do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Average adult audience for October up from RT

377,700 adult viewers in 2023

340,500 - 22

380,000 - 21

475,000 - 20

423,900 - 19

He needs strong guests, otherwise I don't think he will last a whole season.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭supereurope

Not from me. I could never watch the Tubridy toy shows, mainly because he inserted himself into the song and dance numbers and made himself the centre of attention. Back in the days of Gay, he just led the kids do all the musical bits and gave them their moment in the spotlight, but Tubs made sure he was part of the big dance numbers.

Exactly, I thought myself that the success of the show was 100% PR and in fact Tubridy wasn't that good at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Who do people think would be interesting LLS guests then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Russell Brand

Boris Johnston

Nigel Farage

Simon Jordon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The LL Toy Show should be about the children and the toys, not about the presenter. Also, why put the Toy Show on so late when the kids that are watching are nearly asleep.

I think it should be put on at 11 am Saturday morning live with recording continuing if it is worth it, and a high light edit on Sunday morning. The Friday night LLS should go on as normal, perhaps with an emphasis on parents and children and their problems and opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭supereurope

In relation to your second sentence, I believe that was exactly how the toy show started..the first toy show in 1975 (I think that was the first year) was very much pitched as "Put the children to bed while we show you, harassed parents of Ireland, the toys that they will want Santa to bring them this year."

What about floating it away from the mothership altogether and letting it develope it's own identity.

Does it really need to be just an add on to the LLS ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, that is what would happen if it went on for kids on Saturday morning.

I went to a Children's Orchestra performance. I thought it would be educational for other kids, but no - it was aimed at proving to the parents of the players what a clever and talented children they had raised. For the young children in the audience, it was a total bore. I think the organisers should have looked at why kids love panto - 'He's behind you! He's behind you!' and 'Oh no he's not! - Oh yes he is!' would be a good start.

The main part of the Toy Show should be fun - for the kids that perform and for those that are watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Advertisement

Not sure I'd go that far but then again I know where there's a load of costumes and scenery available at a good price 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I think the whole idea was / is so that the young kids get to stay up late.

Maybe instead of being a LLS add on it could be the flagship of a rejuvenated children's TV section.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Steviemak7

Maybe for some of the kids, but the younger ones fall asleep and miss most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

which is why Kielty will probably move away from that format since it is so closely tied to the Tubridy era and the Toy show musical fiasco. Tubridy had probably gone as far as he could go with that himself anyway. Maybe Kielty just reverts back to the original format and lets the children be the stars and he uses his comedy skills to extract humour out of it . The toy show became way too big anyway and was probably taking too much away from the weekly LLS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 72,597 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Holla :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Blind boy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Yes

Advertisement