Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭Shoog

You stated there is an ongoing academic debate about the origins of climate change, which there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Peers can be as smart or as stupid as the people who write the papers. High bias cannot be a priori excluded.

Ergo, to default to a position in which 'peer review' is stated as an important factor is already a form of stupidity. But then, i am biased.

Anyone who denies he/she has no bias is by definition a liar..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

some peer reviewed work on climate change matters is exceptional, but some is truly awful, and frankly dangerous.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And it's the best system we have and there's plenty of evidence within those studies that confirm climate change as man made. People who claim that it is not man made are free to utilise the exact same process. The fact they are not is reminiscent of the people who pushed bs during COVID-19, they never used that process cause it simply didn't stand up to scrutiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

There isn't because its not allowed. Anybody who questions is declared an i,,,,,l

If there was a debate it would be available in peer reviewed papers - deafening silence from that quarter. Scientific careers are made from disproving established theories.

If there is a credible case to be made it would have been made unless you subscribe to that vast conspiracy of climate scientists controlling who can publish.

I sometimes have arguments about 'basic' physics with people who clearly have no real understanding of it. Basic physics plays a role in the discussions about Earth's climate like conservation of energy, the properties and behaviour of molecules etc. In short, all the usual variables/elements in physics science. The overshoot comes in the form of determining an overriding factor in a dynamic, complex, interactive system. Nothing wrong with that per se. Ive read papers about the pre dominance of the Sun, the oceans, space flares and a plethora of combi factors involving radiation, convection, feedback mechanisms etc.

Still, just opinions. Where does the truth lie? Nobody really knows. It is almost unknowable. It is guesswork, can be educated or not. One thing for sure, NOBODY can make a conclusive, beyond reasonably doubt argument that human caused Co2 emissions are the main drivers of climate change. Not from a 'basic' physics standpoint or a complex one. It is a lie to pretend it is possible so they HAVE to rely on consensus which is a really, really bad argument if one at all. Certainly not a scientific one..

You mean the scientifically proven positive effect of lockdowns!?😂

Or the science behind masks..

Or keeping 2 mtr distances...on a beach, in an elevator.

Or the perfectly save Covid shots that would get us out of the pandemic?

Using Covid as an example? Maybe think again..

There is a Covid enquiry in the UK atm. All about Boris's antics. A side show. They should focus on the science behind lockdowns and other measures. But no, go where the drama is. No better than the tabloit press. The members are clearly of the opinion that more stringent measures were needed.

So, like Covid like Climate. Highly biased opinions so you dont actually have t address the science. Ad hominem..

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Do you have any examples of Peer reviewed studies that are 'against climate change' (ie, disagree with the central premise that the global climate is warming and this is mostly due to human caused emissions of greenhouse gasses).

The literature on climate change is extremely robust with all kinds of academic debate on the finer details of climate change and how human impacts will drive long term changes

What there isn't, is any alternative hypothesis that explains the observations that is in any way credible or supported by evidence

If you think they exist, post a few examples please

• Advertisement

No factor from the ones you reference show any sort of pattern which matches current climate change, they are not candidates.

CO2 alters the radiative balance of the planet by increasing the residence time of Infra-red radiation. There is no guesswork about it, it's a measured and quantified property of CO2, we can even plot it's relative end points by observing other planetary systems.

The only area open to debate is the various feedback mechanisms which could either amplify or dampen CO2 effects.

Those who had no lockdowns had significantly higher mortality rates, so yes lockdowns were effective at the intended purpose of saving lives despite their negative impacts.

I mean the quacks who frequently claimed to have cures for COVID or downplayed the effects of it. None of these people chose to use the process cause they lacked the ability to prove their claims. So yep, entirely relevant.

You are talking about the mrna shots, right?

We are drifting off topic but it is clearly the same madness..

Again demonstrably effective in reducing harm.

This is showing the overlap in bad science that people will buy into though.

Positively antiScience, a theme on the right of politics (unless it's something nuclear or ICE).

It really isn't up to me to do your homework.

Here's a summary of peer reviewed papers denying climate change

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959652617317821

On the whole peer review nonsense that has infected this place, here's one that was peer reviewed, published and gained attention worldwide. Only for it to be redacted as it was bullshit.

Conclusion - there are numerous studies denying climate change. There are numerous ones published. There are numerous ones peer reviewed and published. There are numerous ones shown to be bullshit. This happens on both sides of the arguments.

Are you happy now to concede that a) studies exist denying climate change and b) the peer review process isn't foolproof

Its not like the fossil fuel industry are not extremely motivated to disprove the anthropogenic climate change theory.

But I suppose those trillions of dollars they have is no match for a little bit of academic grant funding....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Whichever side of the fence people sit on, the only truth is that there are still 2 distinct camps.

Climate Change Advocates and Climate Change Deniers.

As long as this gap exists in any meaningful way, progress towards emission reduction and other climate targets will remain slow.

Neither of you will convince the other and you will both continue to pull in different directions.

I do think there is something to be said for the media pushing agendas aggresivley and the fact that a lot of people turn against the mainstream as a result. Perhaps feeling silenced or not listened to.

Many people get frustrated by woke ideology or asylum policy or whatever the subject of the day is.

But those feelings have consequences and so when a subject that is hugely impactful arises, the unheard are already in defence mode, primed to rally against it.

It reminds me of the old childrens fable, The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

I am not trying to pass judgement on either opinion here by the way.

More an observation about how little people listen to and respect eachother and the serious consequences rendered when it comes to engaging collective efforts in society.

• Advertisement

The first link is a link to a paper doing an analysis of studies into Science denial.

It is not a list of studies that challenge the scientific consensus on climate change.

It's an interesting paper and it lists the main sources of climate denial as

1. Contrarian scientists - A very small minority of working scientists, Mostly made up of retired scientists or people working far from their own field of expertise, and many of them not affiliated to any academic organisation, but employed or contracted by 'think tanks' such as the heartland institute
    2. Governments - Far from governments pushing climate change 'because something something taxes' one of the biggest form of climate disinformation comes from governments
    3. Political and Religious organisations - Denying the science for economic, ideological and religious reasons
    4. Industry - Direct campaigns of disinformation aimed at reducing regulations on their own polluting or health impacting activities
    5. Media - Mostly Right wing media, often owned or aligned with oligarchs who have strong financial interests in preventing actions that may harm their personal wealth
    6. Social Media - the echo chamber where links to the sources above are regularly amplified with very little understanding or scrutiny of their content
    7. The Public

Your second link shows that when some flawed science does get through peer review, it can be withdrawn. And it's very interesting that this terrible quality study that you linked to, was a climate denial study that was exceptionally flawed. Do you have any examples of any studies that support your position that you can actually stand over?

I'm loving that the search term was basically "climate change denial peer review" to find that particular study followed by not reading it. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I wouldn't say that. In any of these discussion people seem determined to put everyone into two categories

In terms of myself, I would class myself as environmentally conscious, I would agree some changes have to be made to be friendlier to the environment, but I also see a lot of the extreme changes that some people want.

E.g. change the entire fleet of cars in Ireland to electric? pointless and will be a lot worse for the environment. We should be pushing an agenda to pick the right fuel for the righ requirement. Plus decreasing the size and weight of cars when possible. I see people driving around in a brand new electric car which a huge 70kWh+ battery because they need the "range" and then drive it 20km down the road to work and 20km back.

Also I do agree some of the government scare mongering is going on across the World. This is clearly to push taxes. It is not as bad as people make out but at the same time other people want to totally ignore that climate change is happening.

So far I have yet to see many politcians etc taking the middle ground which is disheartening. I do find a lot of people are in that area. No representation is the issue.

As I said earlier, I'm not doing your homework.

The first link I gave is, you are right, a look at denial studies. I never said otherwise. I gave the link as it included a look at many climate change denial, peer review and published studies. It's what you asked for. You doubted they existed.

The second one is the first that came up when I searched. My point there was to show that all this peer review nonsense about it being great and foolproof is rubbish, where peer reviewed and published papers can be later redacted for being shite. It could be have been a pro climate change paper that was redacted. It just happened to be the first that appeared on the search. I even said it in the post

On the whole peer review nonsense that has infected this place, here's one that was peer reviewed, published and gained attention worldwide. Only for it to be redacted as it was bullshit.

Perhaps read the text, and then open the links.

Anyway, I'm not a denier. Far from it.

There are serious consequences to pandering to those who deny evidence based science, and the fact that the mainstream media treated the deniers as equals for over a decade has set back effective action by more than a decade.

There are consequencesnto humouring a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

politicians largely listen to 'advice' from economists not scientists, this is more than likely one of the main reasons why we are where we are!

That number of papers is absolutely tiny when compared to climate papers which implicitly accept AGW, undoubtedly a tiny fraction of a percent of the overall total. What you actually demonstrated is how utterly rare they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

There's plenty of us on the fence with no particular extreme leaning. We'd all like to find a reasonably costed way forward to address our energy security needs whilst respecting the environment. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom nor does it have to create Utopia. There's plenty of appropriate actions we can take given our scale and global impact.

I already agree with the scientific consensus. I can find thousands of peer reviewed papers that back up my position that I'll happily stand over because they are in line with all of the best available evidence

You seem to think that there is still a debate about the role of CO2 in climate change. That is an extreme position that is not supported by any climate scientists of any standing.

Even the Fossil fuel industry's own scientists all agree that CO2 is the main driver of observed warming.

• Advertisement

The problem with economists, is you can pick and choose whichever economist you think will suit your political ideology

Scientists don't tend to get corrupted that badly, apart from a notable minority who have sacrificed all academic integrity to get a place at the table in these 'think tanks' where the policy comes first, and the science is then distorted to fit that agenda

The scientists working in the field have their work checked all the time. Scientific predictions made about how much warming we should expect based on the emissions we have released have been remarkably accurate.

Predictions by the politically motivated 'scientists' and shills have been completely wrong, but they're not getting paid to be correct, they're getting paid to misinform and create doubt and uncertainty even where scientific confidence is high

Advertisement