Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,556 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

They built 500km worth of tunnels. Surely they could have built a bomb shelter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭jmreire

As I replied to Cluedo post 17117 @17:33. Yes you are right and I was wrong about parts the old testament still being used today in Mass etc. because they are. But I do not agree that the teachings of Christ can be chopped and changed at will, as you suggest. That part is simply not up for discussion, either you teach exactly what Christ wrote, or you are not teaching Christianity. And

• Registered Users Posts: 82,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Surely you condemn such a flagrant violation of international law? 

Like ethnic cleansing and targeting civilian infrastructure and declaring no quarter given? These are active war crimes, not 1947. Collective punishment is also a war crime and digging back to 1947 to excuse collective punishment on Gazan children would seem to indicate one is in good company to be accused of not condemning flagrant violations of international law. A tiny minority of Gazans alive to day were even alive in 1947 to account for such staggering attempts to victim blame them. Those 4,000 children, they didn't target anyone.

Just went over this wagon once again, read it in the post you just quoted, as many times as you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Christ didn't write anything though. As far as I'm aware the earliest publication of the New testament was around 70 AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

• Advertisement

Look the last book of game of Thrones might only get published before George RR Martin dies of health complications, that won't have meant he didn't do any writing. ;)

As you said, for a different thread. There's an explanation for those verses, and it didn't involve bloodshed either, as they imply. They were linked to Jesus saying that he would destroy the temple and rebuild it in 3 days.

Then you should re-read what the Arabs were saying about the Jews before Israel existed.

The Grand Mufti of Jerusalem said this in 1941

Al-Husseini began the conversation by declaring that the Germans and the Arabs had the same enemies: “the English, the Jews, and the Communists.” He proposed an Arab revolt all across the Middle East to fight the Jews; the English, who still ruled Palestine and controlled Iraq and Egypt; and even the French, who controlled Syria and Lebanon. (The British had secured a mandate for Palestine at the Paris peace conference in 1919, and made halting attempts to create a “Jewish national home” there without prejudicing the rights of the Arab population.) He also wanted to form an Arab legion, using Arab prisoners from the French Empire who were then POWs inside Germany. He also asked Hitler to declare publicly, as the German government had privately, that it favored “the elimination of the Jewish national home” in Palestine.

In 1941 Jews were being exterminated en-mass, and those that could flew did, to the UK, USA and Palestine. They held little to no power.

Anti-semtism is and was 100% the core root of this conflict.

Do what the IDF want to do in terms of destroying Hamas.

So you have next to nothing to say about the attack on Israel in 1948. Interesting...

• Advertisement

Jews and Arabs living on the same land(s), ruled by the Ottoman Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Nothing to do with the occupation at all, at all.

That's the question: how are they going after the leadership in Qatar? Destroying Hamas literally impossible without destroying Hamas leadership.

"Do what the IDF want to do" is a blank cheque for war crimes

Post edited by Overheal on

And you could well be right. All I do know from that period was the Christians and Jews were known as " The People of the Book" so its quite conceivable that Jesus's teachings were recorded, and later assembled in what we know now as the New Testament.

Nor the Holocaust, WW2, or everything else that isn't really the locus of this thread.

These kids dying right now to Israeli weaponry weren't alive in 1948. So, I don't see what's so interesting about 48, other than a bit of Islamophobic victim blaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Crucial stages of the war as Israeli forces are in Gaza City.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Don’t put words in my mouth. You said thousands of Hamas have been killed. I said I couldn’t see anything to corroborate that figure. Only thousands of civilians. Innocent women and children. And I’d wager if it was thousands of Hamas IDF rightly would be stating it. So again. Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,915 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Germans are not Muslims and are not surrounded by enemies. Thought you'd know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,915 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I know that if you don't treat your neighbours properly, continually seize their land and murder them you can expect trouble. Perhaps the solution is to stop doing all that for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That's fair enough and I could not remember myself. It has been a long time since I attended a mass. A lot of crazy stuff in those old books.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yet the past, particularly historical injustices, is something you use as the main focus of your arguments on many other threads? You can't have it both ways.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭amandstu

Ah yes,I had been looking to fill in my knowledge of that period.

Very revealing.

The violent resistance to Jewish immigration seems to have been locally based and not fomented from abroad as it has been since 1948.

Were those riots the first real shots in the coming conflict?

Let's blame the Jews,though.If they hadn't had that fist fight there might have been less of the actual head splitting.

We need nicer Jews and all will be well.

Tbf and let’s state this factually.

The UN voted on a resolution to give 56/58% of the land to the Jews. The Arabs did not agree to it as Jews were less than 33% of the population and also the lands given to Palestinians were not as favourable ie for agriculture.

From an outsider, I can see why they would think that unfair. It wasn’t like they had agreed to it and then attacked. They opposed and if I’m right declared war the day after. The borders were then redrawn in 1967 which we have seen repeated land grabs since. And as mentioned before, UN views West Bank and Gaza as an occupied territory. To quote… this current situation didn’t happen in a vacuum.

innocent casualties on both sides have paid and are continuing to pay the price.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Partition_Plan_for_Palestine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Who in their right mind would shelter in a Hamas built bomb shelter?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Doctors without Borders nurse from the US recounts what she saw in Gaza. She evacuated last Wednesday

"Me being safe is the result of having to leave people behind."

"...Children with massive burns down their faces, down their necks, all over their limbs because the hospitals are so overwhelmed they are being discharged immediately after and being discharged to these camps with no access to running water, there's 50,000 people at that camp now, and 4 toilets. They're given 2 hours of water every 12 hours."

"fresh open burns and wounds, fresh amputations just walking around"

As it got worse the survivors even turned on the healthcare workers and because accusing them of being Israeli spies etc. for letting these atrocities continue. They "would have died in a week" without help from Palestinians in Doctors Without Borders. "only ate 700 calories a day" for 50 people each. No cell service. "The National staff (palestinian doctors)" didn't leave our side... "incredible men who have sacrificed everything for us -- time with their family, their own physical safety, their own water supply -- watching them fight to get us across the border knowing they were not coming with us -- they didn't waver -- [then we found out Abraham's] parents were dead, -- they were losing family members and friends"; "When I say we would have starved to death without them, I am not exaggerating." They also kept desperate civilians from othering them as conditions continued to deteriorate "with love and kindness, no violence in their heart -- they calmed everyone else down around them."

Anderson Cooper: Would you go back to Gaza?

"In a heartbeat. In an absolute hearbeat. My heart is in Gaza it will stay in Gaza."

"The Palestinian people that I worked with -- were some of the most incredible people in my life." "We lost a nurse weekend one, he was killed when the ambulance outside the hospital was blown up."

"I would like to send out a reminder that there are civilians seeking shelter there, and that my doctors and nurses didn't leave out of loyalty to their community; and, I know there is an idea being pushed right now that anyone staying behind right now is going to be considered some kind of a threat, and I want to remind people that the people that stayed behind are heroes. The people that stayed behind -- they know they're going to die, and they're choosing to stay behind anyway" "If I can ever have an ounce of heart they [they] have, I will die a happy person."

"I wake up every morning and I send out a text message [to the hospital staff], and I ask are you alive?, and every night before I go to sleep I send another message that says are you alive?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Just like how the Troubles in Northern Ireland were entirely due to anti Protestantism.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

It's not the main focus of their argument so I don't see it being both ways. The focus of their argument is to color Israel a state of victimhood that just has no choice but to bomb its neighbors children because 'being nice' isn't an option.

I just don't see how it's interesting here to re-litigate the 48 war, or engage in interrogatives about the 48 war like it was a sporting match. It's neither the origin or root of the 'issues' as argued, those go even farther back for modern history (red line agreement), and even farther back and biblical beyond that: Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.

So as to why I don't bring up in my arguments the 48 war, the 67 war, etc. etc. etc. wars, most people involved, especially the victims, weren't alive then, they have no role in what happened. It's not like Israel is run by the same people, heck Palestine isn't either. I find it more interesting to talk about a more modern inflection point (there have been a couple but) where the Oslo Accords were going well ie. Land for Peace, and then -- political assassination with Bibi's hands all over it, Bibi despised the idea of land for peace, regime change in Israel, and the emergence of the a new status quo for conflict. Decades of illegal settlements, house by house, family by family evictions, these are not things that can simply be swept under this great big rhetorical rug of 'because antisemitism'; the Oslo Accords were the beginning of the end of war and then, new war started under new management. People who plainly benefitted from the status quo.

• Advertisement

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu floated a plan for Israel to be responsible for Gaza’s overall security for an “indefinite period” after the war in an interview with ABC News. Israel has vowed to destroy Hamas, which has ruled Gaza since 2007, but had not offered a vision of who would administer the enclave after the war. Israeli forces advanced deeper into the territory, closing in on Gaza City — a move that U.S. officials said would probably lead to increased casualties. In a phone call with Netanyahu, President Biden discussed “tactical pauses” that would allow civilians to flee areas of fighting and ensure safe access for aid, according to the White House.

Unless someone tells him differently he will annex the north of the Gaza strip.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/11/07/israel-war-news-hamas-gaza-palestine/

Advertisement