Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,799 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Denying death numbers, denying poll numbers

The withdrawal from Afghanistan for instance, easy to forgive him for, Trump and Pompeo really handed him a massive turd having negotiated with the terrorists. How he handles this crisis in Gaza however is all his own.

I might still show up to vote because I'm a politico but I can't say we won't have a 2016 all over again because of depressed turnout.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/06/biden-democrats-polls-politics/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

2016 did not have a low turnout. It was above average over the last few decades and pretty much in the middle of the last 5 or 6 elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It was lower in terms of Democrats that refused to turn up to vote for Hilary Clinton and blithely thinking that she'd walk it anyway.

Biden may not be every Democrat voter's cup of tea, as it were, but the alternative will be 4 more years of Trump. That would be a disaster. Democrat voters would do well to remember what happened in 2016.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How much room does he really have though given Israel's prominence as a US ally and the American establishment's longstanding pro-Israel stance?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its very messy for him yes.

I remember one of the POD guys saying both Biden and Trump will retain about 90% of their 2020 voters easily, but its going to be very small margins with different demos which will decide the race.

The current situation is a disaster when it comes to the crucial youth vote because they are simply much more pro Palestine than Biden and DNC are.

I'm not suggesting that these voters will vote Trump and yes Biden will win this demo easily but it just needs a slightly reduced turnout next year and Biden is in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The youth vote could go either way between abstention or voting for Biden. When you look at what his opponent did with the Middle East before, a return would not bode well for the Palestinians.

I've been trying to avoid the Gaza topic as much as I can due to how poisoned the well is at this point. I don't want to comment on it specifically but this is the sort of issue which could cost the Democrats quite dearly. The centrists and their older cohort will be more pro-Israel but young people have grown up viewing Israel as an imperialist, apartheid state.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Slim to none, but that doesn't mean this isn't a disaster primed to happen.

It is but it's a bit like the 2008 financial crash. Whoever happens to be in the room when the bubble bursts catches the blame with the buildup and causes being ignored.

He could have played it a bit wiser though, even if the American political landscape is pro Israel. Giving Net and Yahoo what amounted to a free hand to slaughter innocents wasn't the best route to take.

Is there a reason you've broken his name up like that?

• Advertisement

Billy Connolly rang up Stephen Fry one evening and kept repeating Benjamin Net and Yahoo at him when he got into office.

"Benjamin Net and Yahoo? Whit te fook is dat about? Sound like a web package deal."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He hasn't given him free reign. He has been more circumspect in his support than any recent President I can think of.

I appreciate it can seem like kids gloves and not being forceful enough, but even the frequent attempts to highlight that the war must be fought according to IHL is a step further than the rhetoric we normally see.

Well, Biden can say that the Israelis "must" abide by the rules of war, but he (nor anyone else in America) won't do anything when the Israelis snub their nose at him...and with more than 10,000 dead in Palestine in a month of indiscriminate bombing of civilian areas and infrastructure, I can't say with any confidence that anyone in the Knesset took Biden that seriously.

So, yes, I don't think he's been "forceful enough". That being said, and as I've already mentioned, his hands are tied by the general benevolent attitude that American political circles has toward Israel and I cannot imagine any US President ever going head to head with Israel in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The cynical side of me wonders if there's a sentiment among Western governments that wishes Israel would just finish off the Palestinians for good, to put an end to the whole mess.

I feel Biden and the Democrats will be quite happy to have Johnson as speaker. The 24 campaign is going to be centered on social issues, the fight for reproductive rights specifically.

I think they just want the issue to go away and when one side is so much more powerful than the other, that can only happen one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Democratic governor wins re-election in Kentucky.

Democrats win the state Supreme Court race in Pennsylvania.

Democrats hold the state Senate and flip the House of Delegates in Virginia.

Democrats win both ballot issues in Ohio.

Clearly a lot of anti-Biden sentiment out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In the last 20 years, the party winning the Governorship of Kentucky has won the ensuing Presidential election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

The Donald is innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Hoop66

A useful and informative post, clearly the work of an intellectual titan.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Even Stevie wonder can see that judge is an idiot, will be successfully appealed.

High profile snub of WH by poet who rebuffed their Diwali invited, citing the Biden admin's support of Israels "genocide"

https://wapo.st/3Sy91Ci

Poet Rupi Kaur rejected an invitation from the White House to attend an upcoming Diwali celebration hosted by Vice President Harris.

In a statement Monday, Kaur said she denied the offer because of the Biden administration’s support for Israel’s war against Hamas, which has killed thousands of people in the Gaza Strip, a campaign she deemed “genocide.” She also denounced the White House for not advocating a cease-fire.

“I’m surprised this administration finds it acceptable to celebrate Diwali, when their support of the current atrocities against Palestinians represent the exact opposite of what this holiday means to many of us,” she wrote in a statement posted on X, formerly Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭nachouser

Is Jimmy Smitts available? It does seem to be mirroring the West Wing at this point.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I see Joe Manchin has announced that he isn't going to run for the Senate again.

I have this terrible feeling that he's going to run as the "No Labels" candidate as some kind of nonsense "Middle ground" candidate and hand the Election to the GOP.

• Advertisement

Ah, I highly, highly doubt he would. At the end of the day he's actually a fairly solid Democrat.

Advertisement