Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oof, that's a cracker of a goal against City!

And Morata Puts Atleti back level. Poor auld Celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Wilson misses a sitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Celtic are knackered

Dortmund very comfortable Newcastle creating nothing.

Ref an absolute disgrace in the Newcastle game he's staring at Wilson being fouled and just ignores it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Horrible conditions up on Tyneside. Newcastle will feel unlucky as they hit the crossbar twice late on and had other good chances to draw level. Dortmund win 1-0.

All the luck with Dortmund as Newcastle hit the bar twice very fortunate to cling on for a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sorry of course they did meant to say cling on for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 3 Results

Group A

Galatasaray A.Ş. (TUR) 1 V 3 FC Bayern München (GER)

Manchester United FC (ENG) 1 V 0 FC Copenhagen (DEN)

Group B

RC Lens (FRA) 1 V 1 PSV Eindhoven (NED)

Sevilla FC (ESP) 1 V 2 Arsenal FC (ENG)

Group C

1. FC Union Berlin (GER) 0 V 1 SSC Napoli (ITA)

SC Braga (POR) 1 V 2 Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Group D

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) 2 V 1 FC Salzburg (AUT)

SL Benfica (POR) 0 V 1 Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP)

Group E

Celtic FC (SCO) 2 V 2 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

Feyenoord (NED) 3 V 1 S.S. Lazio (ITA)

Group F

Newcastle United (ENG) 0 V 1 Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 3 V 0 AC Milan (ITA)

Group G

BSC Young Boys (SUI) 1 V 3 Manchester City FC (ENG)

RB Leipzig (GER) 3 V 1 FK Crvena zvezda (SRB)

Group H

FC Barcelona (ESP) 2 V 1 FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)

Royal Antwerp FC (BEL) 1 V 4 FC Porto (POR)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Doesn't seem to matter what Celtic do in Europe, can't buy a win, even when deserved. They've been impressive and have gone for it, but no luck again and again. You contrast that to the luck United continually get and football doesn't seem fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They haven't won at home in Europe in 10 years.

Can't all be down to bad luck.

I know, but particularly in recent years, they've let the shackles off and went for it against better teams. You'd think something would go for them at some point.

It's not as if their parking a bus against better teams, they're trying their best to be positive, yet no reward again and again. You'd think at least once, something would go in their favour when the game is in the melting pot

Everything seems to go against them, every match, despite them being brave and industrious, can't seem to catch a break in Europe!

And as I said before, alot of doom and gloom in Irish football, national team useless and people support their Premier League clubs.

A big run for Celtic in Europe would galvanise and give a real feel good factor for the football community in Ireland, which is badly needed. It's frustrating they're so close every game, but so far now from qualifying.

Celtic having a run in Europe is something everyone can get behind

Is there still widespread support for Celtic in ireland actually? It feels anecdotally like the disconnect between 'irishness' and celtic has grown pretty large over the past few years. Like, I know there are a decent number of regular Celtic fans - but in contrast to something like the bandwagon appeal of one of the national teams doing well, does a successful celtic bring interest from many who aren't already active fans? I could be totally wrong, but I'm not sure I see as much potential of a 'galvanizing' of broader Irish support behind them.

Match Day 4

Tuesday 7th November

17:45 Kick-offs

Group F

Borussia Dortmund (GER) V Newcastle United (ENG) - Live on TNT Sports 1

Group H

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) V FC Barcelona (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 3

20:00 Kick-offs

Group E

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V Celtic FC (SCO) - Live on RTE Two / TNT Sports 1

S.S. Lazio (ITA) V Feyenoord (NED) - Live on TNT Sports 4

Group F

AC Milan (ITA) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - Live on TNT Sports 3

Group G

FK Crvena zvezda (SRB) V RB Leipzig (GER) - Live on TNT Sports 6

Manchester City FC (ENG) V BSC Young Boys (SUI) - Live on TNT Sports 2

Group H

FC Porto (POR) V Royal Antwerp FC (BEL) - Live on TNT Sports 7

Wednesday 8th November

17:45 Kick-offs

Group C

SSC Napoli (ITA) V 1. FC Union Berlin (GER) - Live on TNT Sports 3

Group D

Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP) V SL Benfica (POR) - Live on TNT Sports 4

20:00 Kick-offs

Group A

FC Bayern München (GER) V Galatasaray A.Ş. (TUR) - Live on TNT Sports 3

FC Copenhagen (DEN) V Manchester United FC (ENG) - Live on Virgin Media Two / TNT Sports 1

Group B

Arsenal FC (ENG) V Sevilla FC (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 2

PSV Eindhoven (NED) V RC Lens (FRA) - Live on TNT Sports 7

Group C

Real Madrid CF (ESP) V SC Braga (POR) - Live on TNT Sports 4

Group D

FC Salzburg (AUT) V FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) - Live on TNT Sports 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wonder have RTE paid for a cheaper 'Scottish package' for the Champions League rather than an international package.

Seems no obvious footballing reason to pick AM v Celtic tonight instead of say Dortmund v Newcastle, as unfortunately Celtic despite not playing badly have little chance of progressing. I guess if RTE stick with them in Week 5 v Lazio then it'll be some sort of loose confirmation. I know there's a fan base here but interestingly TV3/VM (who should in theory be taking an even more ruthlessly commercial approach) haven't shown either of their Wednesday games so far.

Maybe they'll show me up by winning a thriller tonight and RTE will be justified.

edit : Just seem Dortmund v Newcastle is an early ko, so Celtic game is probably the logical choice tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

At least it's against Atleti. Nothing more painful than when they show an English or Scottish side playing against some nobody team destined to exit the group with 0 points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tbf with the Newcastle game on earlier they're likely getting a bigger audience for Celtic Athleti rather than people tuning in to watch City batter Young Boys again.

Ya sad thing is it might actually be the best match at 8pm tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The bandwagon aspect was definitely bigger when Celtic (and Rangers, to a lesser extent) were more competitive on the European stage. Celtic rivalled the English clubs at times and Rangers relative success gave them another team to cheer against.

Irish Celtic fans who would have lauded the quality of the SPL over the LOI have now lost a legitimate part of their argument as Celtic's stock in Europe has fallen. Now, all their fans really have to look forward to is the Old Firm.

Those few years where Rangers disappeared actually damaged Celtic. They just couldn't get as excited about the SPL when their biggest rival was gone, they were winning triple-trebles and Aberdeen/Kilmarnock/St. Johnstone were never going to fill the Rangers gap.

Though plenty of Celtic fans deny it, Ireland's (the Republic) changing identity and the move away from sectarianism and the RCC means the reasons for supporting Celtic are not as relevant as they once were.

The biggest Celtic fans I know are rebel song-singing, 32-county-wanting nationalists who are only Catholic when it comes to weddings and the census. And this demographic is shrinking as what being Irish is in the 21st century changes (due to immigration from very different cultural backgrounds) and the Troubles are left further behind, thankfully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Joelinton won't get a better chance if equalising, had to score that.

Shakhtar one up at home to Barca.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very cool finish by Brandt. Newcastle caught out from their own free 2 v 1

Under a lot of pressure to score with that teammate looking for the square ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

The referee in the Dortmund v Newcastle game is something we rarely see in the PL; he is in control without much fuss, lets the game flow, ignores the dives and does not allow constant chatter and complaining....how refreshing....no sign of VAR either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If PSG win tonight then Newcastle will struggle to get out of the group with PSG last game away and PSG looking for a bit of revenge after the first game.

A lot might come down to the PSG Dortmund game - if that tie keeps top spot alive, then could see PSG coming out hard against Newcastle. But if PSG beat Dortmund they'll have top spot secured, and could well send out the reserves.

Elsewhere - only just noticed that Oriol Romeu was back at, and starting for, Barcelona. Bit of a mad one. Bet he didn't see that one coming while slogging it out at the bottom of the table with Southampton not so long ago!

PSG lose and Newcastle could struggle to even make the Europa League.

PSG are not gonna lose this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

This shouldn't be a red card for Celtic. But it's been given, Maeda sent off. Hermosa made the most of it. As if Celtic's challenge wasn't already difficult enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

An outrageous decision to send Maeda off for that - Celtic down to 10 men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's an absolute disgrace.

VAR in England may be a farce but look at it in the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It was a supside lazy tackle that gave the officials a decision to make. Didnt think it was going to be given, but can't really blame anyone but himself

That 1st half of Milan PSG was a proper game of footy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Why are rte showing the Celtic game....the result was always a forgone conclusion. Surely the Milan Psg game would have more interest....

• Advertisement

They always have to go with the game which will attract the most viewers.

And a game with Celtic should always gets more viewers in Ireland than Psg v Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I suppose your right but from a football point of view its disappointing...that game is over already and only ht

Just saw the Maeda red card... hard enough to argue with it in the context of the Curtis Jones red. Today's was much more clear cut than that even, straight into the opposition players foot without any mitigating contact with the ball. (at least from the one angle i saw anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Atleti player as much kicked him and the Celtic man was reaonably controlled.

Weak, weak sauce for me.

• Advertisement

There's always been a duty of care on the motion of a foot coming down though.

In a vacuum, I'd have said yellow myself. But in the context of other similar recent challenges that got reds, then I can understand the red here.

Huge win for Milan - that group is turning into a real cracker.

That puts Newcastle bottom now, but anyone can still qualify through to the knockouts.

Newcastle really need a win away in Paris in the next game though, anything else will put them in big trouble.

The one group that has saved the group stages. Rest of them more or less formalities, as usual

Yeah, over the past few years - unless my own team is playing - for the most part I only tend to watch the group stages through James Richardson's live goals show. Aside from the odd big clash that gets more fiery than expected, most group games are just not that interesting, without much jeopardy.

Laughed as I was, claiming Milan will go each way in this tournament, tonight has blown many of those beliefs, into the air. Many would claim they are also rans but we'll see

The worlds biggest club, where Milan's players know they are limited, are willing to run through walls for the cause. They're willing to put the hard yards in, despite their limitations. United et all, should follow suit

Anyone not buying into the Milan philosophy doesn't support football. Follow the team that tries, and when they fail, try harder. That's Milan!

It was refreshing to watch that Milan PSG game tonight.

Normally you don't get games like that until the knockouts in Feb or March.

The groups are generally a waste of time.

People will always row in behind the Celts when it matters. At a certain point, it becomes national pride if they progress

That's the question though - does it still? I think it did to an extent maybe 15 years ago. I'm not really sure anymore... I just don't know how much connection your average Irish person under 40 really feels to Glasgow Celtic these days. To my teenage nephews for instance (19 and 16 and huge into football), they're just another team.

They haven't had a real run in Europe for years. We're told they play in a league no one cares about, to justify others supporting the English league.

When it comes down to it, when it's in the melting pot, everyone is Celtic. Don't ever doubt it.

As I always tell people as an anecdote, was in a pub full of United fans. When Nakumura scored that free kick, there was chaos, lads in United jerseys falling over themselves when Celtic done the business.

We won't see it until it happens, but if Celtic go on a run in Europe everyone is a hoop in Ireland, make no mistake about it

• Advertisement
Advertisement