Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I wasn't asked to number them. The assertion was that they don't exist. They do. I've showed some

Good for you. And there are peer reviewed papers that are bullshit. Agreed? Yeah? Isn't that the point I was making. Not all, some. I've showed you some. The point I was making was that you and others got up on a high horse when someone said that peer reviews aren't all they are cracked up to be. I've shown examples now where they are right. Not always, sometimes. And if they can be right for denial papers, then the pro papers can also have peer reviewed and published stuff that is hocus pocus.

There is a debate about CO2. Some people say it's the problem, others aren't convinced. Hence debate. I think it has an input of course, but it's not the only one. I think fossil fuels are the main cause of changes in the climate, driving CO2 levels higher. Never denied that. Or have you a link or something to show where I have? If not, button it. You're arguing with yourself based on your thoughts about what I believe. It's tiresome having to correct the record, yet you won't man up and concede that a) studies exist denying climate change and b) the peer review process isn't foolproof like I asked previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Look! A climate change denier falsified data and got a paper published, that paper was quickly retracted, but if climate change denier could be so dishonest, then how can we trust any of the science?

You couldn't make it up

The LNG saga rolls on

Imagine, they could have avoided all this if they'd managed to build the thing during the first 10 year permission, instead they allowed it to run out

How much cheaper would our electricty be if we had loads more wind? Quite a bit from the looks of it

Today's figures also show that while wholesale electricity prices rose again last month due to high fossil-fuel costs, there was still nearly €70 in the difference between the wholesale cost of electricity on the windiest days and those days when we had to rely almost entirely on fossil fuels - €101.66 and €170.79 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Let me state it more obvious: i am in doubt about Co2 causing any significant temperature difference. I am not totally certain about my position but i am confident it is right. And i can back it up. But that position puts me in the 'denier' camp by the opposition who does not grand me my doubt and weaponizes every opportunity to suppress voices of dissent, even from highly qualified scientists.

My position is: quid pro quo.

If you dont know what that means look it up.

• Advertisement

Again, we pay the rate for the most expensive component. We're tied to fossil fuels for pricing. And seeing as we'll have very few days of 100% renewable we're locked this way for another number of years

A sad state of affairs indeed. The sooner we get fossil fuels out of our grid, the better then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭Shoog

I don't remember anyone denying that they existed, just that they are an insignificant fraction.

And neither has anyone claimed peer review is faultless.

Your constructing strawmen to knock down.

If you can't even must a theory into a publishable paper what weight are we supposed to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

And you are backing up the point I made.

There are plenty of people on the fence, in the middle of the arguments.

But the two polarised groups whom feel strongest will probably never agree and of course, that disagreement will suspend progress.

Especially when the minority group feels unlistened to and somehow on the wrong side of the tracks.

The minority group is a very, very small minority, only 4% of the population

Though further education is needed based on some of the other responses. Its telling that only 33% realise that the agri sector is our largest polluter

• Advertisement

Education is always good, but to move that Poll question cloeer to the heart of the matter, would you say only 4% of the population are prepared to change their lifestyle, in order to offset climate change?

That 96% will also include people that agree climate change is happening but dont agree that it is man-made.

My main point though is that minorities generally are often shouted down in todays debate.

I dont just mean climate related issues, I mean any topical debate in which a group of people may find themselves in the minority.

I think that oppresive tendancy breeds resentment and a mistrust in authority, the media, the govt etc, from those that hold a minority opinion on any subject.

A repercussion of which is that when really important issues such as climate change are discussed, people are default sceptical.

And a lot of people have learnt to keep quiet and not express their opinion, if it does not accord with the populist opinion.

We seem to have developed a society in which it is dangerous to voice thoughts that contrast the standard opinion.

That isnt good for debate, but I think the real danger is that the less people feel empowered to voice opinion, the more anti-establishment they become.

We really need the world to pull together on climate change, but the toxicity around debate in recent years has silenced people.

That silence hasnt made them change their minds, though. It has made them steadfast & stubborn in their opposition and thus, harder to bring onboard.

No climate skeptics is a minority, it not a silent majority scenario. Almost everyone in the state accepts man made climate change as been real. It's such a common place idea that people simple don't discuss it.

There is no persecuted minority - there are simply a few people who are in denial

Education is always good, but to move that Poll question cloeer to the heart of the matter, would you say only 4% of the population are prepared to change their lifestyle, in order to offset climate change?

This is the closest question that I could see

That 96% will also include people that agree climate change is happening but dont agree that it is man-made.

Again, closest answer would indicate 6% its not, 61% say it is, I assume the gap is don't knows but its not called out

As for the rest, again, it comes down to education. If someone is incorrect about a topic, if they chose to remain incorrect despite mountains of evidence, then any ridicule they receive is entirely their own doing. Case in point, flat-earther, anti-vax, anti-15 min cities, climate change deniers and so on

Interestingly there seems to be a significant overlap between the 4 groups mentioned in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

Well said, it’s evidenced on this thread

whether climate change exists or not or is manmade or not we have Green tinged posters who spent pages and pages arguing against doing anything about adapting to these changes like dredging rivers

The Dutch built half their country below sea level and we can’t even dredge a **** river

If CO2 is not causing the observed temperature increases, then what is?

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail

Dredging in small doses is required in some areas, but a far larger list of solutions are required

Simply making greater and greater volumes of water flow faster only makes the problem worse

The Dutch would like a word with you

Thanks for highlighting the point I made btw.

My point is not whether the climate sceptics are right or wrong.

The point is that we have enabled a society that cant debate opposing views and where non conformist opinions must be supressed, or a person can be cancelled.

Some of those climate sceptics would not be so sceptical, if they felt listened to on other subjects.

If the Govt tells you one thing and you know it to be wrong, you grow wary of them.

If the Govt tells you a second thing and you suspect it is probably wrong, you become sceptical of them.

If the Govt tells you a third thing, and you think its probably true, you remain sceptical of them.

Nobody on this thread has objected to taking measures needed to adapt to the effects of increased precipitation due to climate change. Some people want proper sustainable long term solutions, others want quick fixes that the experts in the field say will not work and may make things worse.

The Dutch utilise a multitude of solutions, as I suggested. Examples include utilising flood plains, widening rivers, even lowering flood plains so they flood more easily, rerouting rivers to literally add bends to slow the water down, dykes, barriers etc etc etc

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/07/world/europe/dutch-rivers-flood-control.html

Dredging is not the solution to flooding, but it is one tool. Overuse of it just leads to worse flooding though

• Advertisement

No, i am not backing you up. Im against yr proposition. It is an ignorant position. Ignorant because you assume you have to be on a 'side'. If you are 'on the fence' you don't matter as long as you keep quiet but if u are speaking out stating your neutral position with any kind of force on a big media platform you are put into the denier camp. The greens are adamant that any doubt is nibbed in the bud. Those 2 camps you are talking about is the direct result of the greens unwilling to let anyone escape from their ideological top down compliance rules. Their intolerance of a different position on climate change is noted. They bring out the weapons. They are fanatical in their approach.

So no, thank you. The 'you are either with us or against us'approach is on them, not simply the result of two camps battling it out. The greens are into concentration camps and they want to fill them with 'heretics'.

It's time for you to face the facts

You can debate something if their is a debate to be had.

Read back. A poster requested them, which I understood as being a challenge to find some as they believed, none existed. Post #27252

And you yourself, plus other posters jumped on a post that suggested peer reviews weren't foolproof. Here you are telling us all how peer reviews work, and are basically, bulletproof

I'm no right wing loon, just a simple guy ripping your own argument to smithereens.

Almost everyone in the state. Just a few posts back we're given a handy link to a survey

61% != "almost everyone"

Few other interesting bits in that.

• 61% think it's personally important, but 90% think citizens should do more. That to me reads like it's someone elses problem and they should do more before the 61% are affected personally
    • 63% think it will harm them personally
    • Only 70% think it's already harming people, or will in the next 10 years. Don't see much panic there
    • 90% think that business should do more, yet most business couldn't give a toss (see recent Irish Times survey - https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/10/08/business-turning-a-deaf-ear-to-the-green-regime/)
    • Only 68% want peat, coal or oil banned for home heating! And only 64% think there should be higher taxes on petrol or diesel
    • Only 19% would join a campaign to get more climate action going

The agri thing brought up in the survey again points, once more, to more agri bashing. No mention of transport (where emissions are rising) or even aviation within that sector (where the Taoiseach wants to increase aviation). Agri emissions are primarily methane, from a national herd that has grown by ~4% in 50 years. I've asked plenty of times how much methane has grown in the same period - always ignored (if it's more than 4%, then the problem lies elsewhere).

Anyway, my conclusions from the survey is that people believe it's happening, it might affect them personally, maybe not in the next 10 years and someone else should be doing more to stop it.

The greens are into concentration camps and they want to fill them with 'heretics'.

and you wonder why nobody takes climate change deniers seriously 😂

Farming groups again annoyed by the EPA highlighting the amount of pollution coming from the sector into rivers and lakes

She said agricultural pollution, mainly in the form of excess nitrates and phosphorous, was the main cause of stress in 1,000 rivers, lakes, streams, estuaries and other water bodies.

Interference with waterways through drainage, dredging, channelisation and other physical changes was the second most common main cause of poor conditions, and forestry was the third.

Discharges from urban wastewater treatment plants were the main impact on about 200 water bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Whatever hope you have of implementing 'green' policies in a performing economy, you have even less in a struggling one. Also, people are alot more tuned into what policies can turn a) a performing economy into b) a struggling one - so if your proposals cause a) to become b) expect alot of pushback from the electorate.

What we have now is a public that are looking back on more than a decade of carbon taxes and other 'green' taxes and questioning what has been done? What is there to show for paying all those billions? Have the temperatures cooled? Have the rainfalls eased? Have the droughts eased? Have the green energy sources stabilised or reduced the cost of power to consumers?

The answer to all of the above questions is an overwhelming no. There is hardly any noticeable improvement in living standards for the wider public. Instead we continue to see finger-wagging from the altar of the green cult who dish out bans on this, taxes on that and heap misery on an already weary and struggling public.

Sometimes I feel like I went to bed in 2006 and woke up in 1936 - the only difference now, instead of the bishops you have the self-appointed green crusaders.

I think you missed the point.

I didnt say there were only 2 sides.

I said there are 2 sides that are polarised, the deniers and the advocates.

There is a 3rd group in the middle.

I didnt say that 3rd group didnt matter.

You seem to be inventing arguments and arguing with yourself.

You see the Dutch are doing something, we have posters spending pages arguing against doing anything.

If the whole country abandoned cars and stopped eating meat and killed all cattle and covered every field in solar panels earlier this year that wouldn’t have stopped those floods we seen.

• Advertisement

Im dutch and used to be proud of my country. It is sad that wherever i look the managers have taken over, expertise thrown out, top down (target) compliance rules enforced, growing bureaucracy and mission creep. This is an EU wide thing. It is the death of europe's individual states in favour of those in the top EU commission. It's everywhere. And the people know it. It is a crash..

Advertisement