Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Carrickphierish Road - Bawndaw, neighbourhood thoughts in 2023?

• 05-11-2023 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, as the title suggests, I have an opportunity to buy a house there in a new development and need to make a quick decision. I am not from Waterford and a lot of old posts I find on the internet around this area are fairly old. I am wondering if anything changed and what it is like now.

Are any people here from this area or familiar with the area who can share some information?

I've passed the area while visiting Waterford and it seems calm and quiet but it's hard to get a real picture from a few short visits. Unfortunately, I didn't go past the library so I don't know exactly what's going on there. I've read posts that it's not bad, then it became really bad, then it got cleaned up a bit, and so on. Posts are old and everyone wrote off the area due to the plans to expand the problematic area but from the news I see that plan was dropped by the council.

Are there any incidents/robberies happening/anti-social behavior going on recently and how it relates to Bandaw since it's around the corner? Any thoughts?

Post edited by Cabaal on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Run as fast as you can in the opposite direction and do not look back. That whole area is nicknamed Beirut by the locals because of the sheer amount of scumbags and social housing and travellers all around you. Google Mount Suir Manor apartments which are nearby and you will get a load of news articles about the feral unemployed youth starting regular fires, destroying windows and intimidating the residents out of the area.

I know too for a fact that when important visitors to nearby Sanofi or West Pharmaceuticals are driven to the plants, they are deliberately funneled around that road because of the sheer deprivation and amount of anti-social behaviour typical to the estates in that area which would leave a deeply negative impression of Waterford.

There was a shooting outside the main shop linked to drugs a few years back. In addition, a certain group of people whom you cant criticise because the woke brigade (who incidentally, wouldnt live anywhere near them either) stamp it out rule the roost by allowing their horses roam freely and kids rob books from the local library.

If you want an utterly miserable and depressing existence then live there. If not, there are plenty of other nicer places to live in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I walked all though there yesterday without a mumur. Its a place that is developing with a lot of new housing and all that that entails.. Walk around yourself and see.

Post edited by azimuth17 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Depends on what part tbf, I'm in Sherlock Walk, it's grand.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2 majstor

appreciate the comments! I should have been more precise, the house is in Woodbrook, the new builds.

Sad to let it go as it's an awesome house and bang for the buck but I am just not feeling super comfortable with the area. from all the comments and everything I could dig on the internet about it, the apartment building at the entrance to the estate seems like a sore and a magnet for troublemakers.

And it being at the entrance is a bit concerning.

otherwise from town up to the Carrickphierish rd looks and feels pretty decent. I barely saw a soul while passing that exact area and haven't seen anything bad myself, but had a bit of an odd feeling.

Its your money and your choice. Real problem is that the area was partially completed at the time of the financial crash and semi completed stuff was left around which becamea magnet for anti social behaviour.. As I said its like all newly developing areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I think your gut feeling is bang on in this case. I certainly wouldnt go by a few comments saying they didnt notice or hear anything as they walked through the area. That means absolutely nothing and is way too minor a factor when considering a house is the biggest commitment you will ever make in your life. A lot of the scum in that area dont wake up until about 5 or 6pm anyway.

Trust me, i have lived in one of the apartments yrs back and i know people who had a nervous breakdown from the stress of moving out. Your gut is bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Careful now or you'll be branded a racist! You'll get banned and the thread closed for speaking the truth about travellers and their depravity.

Shame on you, you absolute bigot/racist/travellerphobe/truthspeaker etc etc

Whaat about the hundreds of decent people who live in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

You mean most of the people who aren't travellers? I haven't said anything about them...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This thread is done, its clearly a poor attempt to start this hatefest again.

If a new thread is started on I'll be handing out bands.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement