Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

I had the 3.2 update done recently. Updated without any issues. The update containing the shop arrived via OTA while leaving the dealers. After adding the main user the apps were visible in the shop from the car UI. Online contract renewed for 3 years after they were installed and my mobile app started to work again.

I was able to add a location in the charging section. Was looking forward to finally being able to set the charging time period. I still think it is flawed. I set a start and end time during the night. No departure time. It does work, but every time it keeps changing the drop-down for my home location from timed charging back to "charge immediately". Really frustrating. Have to remember to change it from the leaving-car screen or else it will go back to charging immediately when I plug in at home. I have forgotten this a few times and I needed to stop the charging from the mobile app. Unless I am missing some setting to make this stick?

Loaner car was a manual t-cross. I forget how soft braking is with an EV motor compared to non-EVs. First time putting my foot down in the t-cross was a pretty swift stop.

Other minor changes that I have noticed after the update: The rear lights come on when you unlock the car. It also doesn't continuously beep when driving on the N7 around Naas when heading back to Dublin. One slight turn there would always beep until the yellow line in the left-hand lane turned back to a white line after the road straightened out. I could never position it in the lane that would stop the beeping. All good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Something for ID.3 1st Edition owners.... my 1st edition developed a rattle in the front drivers side. Looking back it was there for a while but I just thought it was rough road rattles but it got alot worse recently. A bit of research later and its a known issue.

Battery life did a vid on it here

I got my drop link replaced under warranty. Its the shiny vertical bar in this pic

The dealer knew about it and had said it happens some 1st editions (like what Battery life said) and there is a VW bulletin on their system about it. They had the part in stock even and had it fixed in an hour or so.

If you have a 1st Edition it might be worth taking a closer listen to when driving on rough surface. If there is a rattle from drivers side wheel area it might be worth getting it looked at since its not normal suspension wear and tear... its a design fault fixable under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I don't have a 1st edition, but I did get a drop link replaced. I didn't know about it being a known issue, I got my neighbour to have a nosey as I could hear and feel the rattle. He diagnosed the drop link and suggested that I chance my arm and ask for a warranty repair as 2 years old is too young to have it packing in. I asked, they replaced under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭CoBo55

First place I'd check if a rattle develops. Very unusual they'd replace it under warranty, they usually play the wear and tear card. Hardly an expensive item I'd imagine.

Yeah I had priced the part around €20 I think and the neighbour wouldn't have been hard to pay. I was surprised they agreed under warranty, but given what @KCross has revealed, I suspect they were aware of it being an issue and that's why they didn't argue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

I bought my 212 from a private seller who told me the dealer recently had replaced "a" droplink when the s/w upgrade happened. About a month later I noticed a noise and had a local mechanic to take a look. He said the drivers side was new but the passenger side was shot. I got him to replace it and the difference in noise was unreal!

Anyway thought it was a bit lousy of VW to have replaced only one when they were at it and it was borderline out of warranty when they did it, obviously knew it would be warranty expired when the other one went! So i suppose if anyone is getting it done maybe look to get both done?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

330km range in winter/autumn on a 58kw with 70,000km happy enough with that! How are ye finding the winter/autumn performance?

So i suppose if anyone is getting it done maybe look to get both done?

it was the first thing I said to them and they said they wouldn’t be allowed change the 2nd one unless it needed it but since the first one was replaced under warranty they said they would look favourably on it if it happens in the near term.

for such a cheap part and how quick/easy it is to replace I think they should have replaced it too but happy enough for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

at 80% im getting 260km ( linear approx would suggest 325km ), Im at 23k total, 58Kwhr and mainly doing motorway + city +rain. Have noticed the temps <10 really take a bite on the battery range. Also doing small <5k journeys in city (3 different trips in one day all 1-3km) takes about 10% in the current weather im finding.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Similar experience to yourself(but about240/250 at 80%), but I have 90k on mine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Current ID3 owner on a PCP that's up in April. Have been shopping around as ideally would like something with a bit more space. Knew that trade-in offers from other brands would not be great but have actually been shocked by some offers or even being flat out told would not take it.

Just wondering if others have had similar experiences.

What are you thinking of moving to?

My PCP ends next August. I think I'm 90% likely to just refinance the final payment and keep the car but no harm in looking...

New Kona was probably top of list, but also looked at the Niro and MG5. I definitively got the impression that a lot of garages don't want to touch an ID3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

How bad are the offers? I have a 3 year old 1st and all the offers on trade in have been 20k plus with VW/Cupra dealers.

But not tried a non VW group brand yet.

The garage that wouldn't take it as a trade-in said they had been offered only 10000 in the trade for a similar car last week. Had a test drive in another garage who said would call me later with figures as they hadn't taken an ID3 before and needed to come back to me but haven't and suspect it's because of what am trading in.

Other offers varied between 16-21 k. Not too interested in changing to a newer ID3 and the ID4 just doesn't look like good value. Knew wouldn't have much equity but surprised that some wouldn't even consider taking an ID3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Are the Niro or MG5 bigger than the ID.3? I thought it was similar size. People have been offered crap trade-ins from MG in the past so not a surprise with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Would you be better off looking at a private sale?

I priced my i3 REx with the local Kia place before changing. Got offered €11k.

Sold it private for £16k sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Not sure if its related but I had a top strut mount bearing replaced last year, it had been creaking from around 6 months but took a lot of time and work to convince them that it wasn't normal. The creaking started again recently and I'm booked in for yet another 'investigation' and hopefully a proper fix this time.

Bigger boot in both especially in MG5. Backseat seems bigger in both. Both can take a roof rack. MG was actually the highest offer.

Probably will look at selling privately alright if decide to change, may put it on back burner for a bit and see what market is like in 6 months or so. We are a single car family so for ease of hassle I had hoped to trade-in.

• Advertisement

Thats a different issue I think. Strut and drop link are different parts.

I didn't have any creaking. In fact the car was rock solid in terms of driving, just that when you drove on rougher roads there was a rattle and it was getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I was beginning to wonder if they misdiagnosed the strut mount as the creak came back so quickly, but its not a rattle so that rules out the drop link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What causes creaks at full lock when stopped? I was turning full lock to the right as my missus had the door open in my Born and it was quite loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭joe1303l

With a PCP, do you not have the ability to just hand it back in April at an agreed future value ? Should make it easier to get into a non VW if that’s your preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

I'd say that's just the creak from being at full lock as the shocks and tower move a few mm when at full lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes but if you can sell it for more than why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭joe1303l

The OP indicated that trade values of 2-3 year old ID.3’s appear to be well back. Hence I wondered if the GFV of the PCP agreement would provide a solution without the hassle of say a private sale.

My GFV is €18.5k. On a Tour with a current new price of €50k or so.

Not a hope in hell I'd hand it back! Plus that would equal 3yr depreciation of €23.5k.

Of course I could do that but as pointed out it is likely not to make sense. The GFV I think is around 14.8k. Cheapest ID3 I can see on DoneDeal at the moment is 22.8K.

My preference is for something a bit bigger and with at least similar range but ideally more. I would have no issue with VW but I think the price of the ID4 is way too high considering the alternatives.

I'm guess I'm just surprised by the hesitance of dealers to take an ID3 for trade-in and was wondering if others had experienced the same.

• Advertisement

That used to be normal depreciation before Brexit and covid hit.

Advertisement