Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed.

Options
  • 05-11-2023 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

500 mbps....only getting 75 maps...is this enough ?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭kaahooters

depends on a lot really, how are you connectiong to the router and whats your device?

just remember, the speed quoted id from your cable in to your house, to the exchange, anything further depends on interconections in exchanged and general internet infra.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Have NBI FTTH 500Mb package, getting approximately 280Mb. Have it about 15 months now.

Don't want to seem greedy but according to NBI it should be 500Mb minimum.

When the guys were installing it, they said that they were happy with that speed.

I wonder if I switched to 1Gb package would I get any more speed.

My router supplied by the provider is a 300Mb which I thought was a bit of a con but didn't complain as I had been on a 2Mb speed previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Which ISP are you with? Are you getting the 280mb on a wired connection or wireless?

You should be getting faster than 280mb (on wired) unless you're in an area where all the ports are in use, and all of the other users are very heavy users....

Hi, I measured it using my phone on WiFi. I don't have any other device like a working laptop to use an ethernet cable.

Right, I'll probably try that so with my brother's laptop. I only use it for iPad and smart TV.

Thanks CS

• Advertisement

Blacknight solutions, only reason I went with these was I remember they were on boards.ie years ago and they were offering a 30 day contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Fair enough. You should never take a Wifi speedtest result as a reflection of the fibre speed. Only ever test using a wired connection, and always ensure that the ethernet port on the device you're using is rated for a speed equal to or great than the ISP speed you're expecting.

So a 1Gb Ethernet port is suitable for testing 500Mbps / 1Gbps internet connection

For the newer 2Gbps packages being offered by some ISPs you'll need a 2.5+Gbps Ethernet port on the laptop to verify the speed.

Most laptops shipped in the last 5-10 years with a gigabit ethernet port, so that should allow you to verify the 500mbps without issue.

In order to max out 500mbps over Wifi, you'd really want a phone that supports Wifi 6 (802.11ax), in addition to a Wifi router that also support Wifi 6, and even then, you'll only get those speeds within a 5m clear line of sight between the router/phone.

Thanks for that info. and prompt reply.

I'd imagine the bro's laptop is modern as he works for a multinational IT/Comms.

Thanks again,

Regards, CS

• Registered Users Posts: 9 P.E.K.K.A

Ordered the 1 Gbps Fiber to the Home from Eir, getting 500 mbps on mobile which is fair, and 350-400 mbps on laptop's wifi (which can receive 2.6 Gbps)

Enquired about it they said you need be wired to get the full speed (which is fair, but I really doubt I would get it from them anyway). Since I didn't have a cable I didn't test it that way and anyway I doubt I can go cable in my new home with the way things are right now.

I told them i want to downgrade to 500 mbps instead since im not getting the 1 Gbit and I won't go cable for now, they refused to downgrade, and the guy sarcastically told me if I get the 500 mbps, I will get less than the 500 mbps advertised anyway. So I told them to cancel it in 2 weeks.

So things to keep in mind:

1- Cable is better than wifi in terms of speed

2- Wireless cards in different devices have different max bandwidth they can receive, which is fair. Mobile is less than laptops/desktops in general.

3- It depends on the company, Virgin always gave me the advertised speed.

4- It depends where are you sitting relative to the device (walls, floors, etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Advertised speeds are always based on wired connections - mobile devices have so many things that can affect the speed

Re downgrading - if you're in contract then really you're screwed

Too many people go for the max speed when they need nothing like that speed - 200ish is fast enough for anyone unless you are downloading multi gigabyte files all the time that you need quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 P.E.K.K.A

You are absolutely correct, there's not a constant need for such speeds and I also know that my mobile can receive up to 500 to 600 max. I figured why would I pay 30 for 500 mbps when I can pay 10 more and get 1000 mbps.

But their wifi can't even transmit that speed and it's not even 400 mbps sometimes what's the point. I'm well able to use 500, easily.

Advertisement