Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Sony + Nintendo together again

Next Nintendo home console ... The PS6 !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In terms of accessibility, I mean there are plenty of people who can’t keep up with subtitles or can’t read them for whatever reason and need a localised audio option to keep up. So the option should be there, where feasible.

I much prefer virtually all Japanese games in their original language with subtitles, as I think it’s closer to the creators’ original intentions and frequently suits the aesthetic much more than English (anime-style characters speaking English sounds wrong to me). That’s definitely a matter of personal preference, as certainly it means some challenges in the midst of frantic gameplay. But Yakuza is so distinctly and culturally Japanese - Japanese characters speaking Japanese in Japanese environments - that I think more so than virtually any other game out there it demands to be played in its original language wherever possible :) So where there are no impediments to reading subtitles, I think it’s 💯 the way to play those games!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yeah, I think in a roundabout way, I was alluding to being one of those who can't really focus on subs, when I'm trying to game (specific games, as some genres allow time to think and react more).

It was similar for me with Sleeping Dogs, I think it originally wanted to play in Cantonese IIRC and I had to change to all English :)

But I also got my intelligence insulted on the previous page, so I'll say no more :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They also seem to have totally gotten that characterisation totally wrong. Ichiban is full on surfer dude where he is more a lovable naive dork in the original. it's just bad localisation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Absolutely no insult to intelligence intended, and apologies if it came across that way! As said, I think it’s totally valid to give people the choice and there are perfectly good and valid reasons to want to play in English. Accessibility is a big, inclusive category that encompasses all sorts of options for all kinds of reasons. But if Japanese audio is an option for the player, I think it’s a rare game - perhaps more than any other game series out there! - where it’s no question going to be the more authentic way to play :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I always turn off subtitles. I just spend the whole time looking at the text, even when the audio is in English, and miss loads of what is happening on screen.

Don't get me started on console devs not testing their games on TVs and having text size that is unreadable. I've a 65inch screen and sit about 6 feet away and still can't read the text in half the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Subtitles aren't perfect either.

A lot of the time the subtitles are just CC of the English dialogue not an actual translation which is still changing things. A dubbed surfer ends up still being a subbed surfer (not sure about that case).

There's stuff that doesn't translate or you need a paragraph to replace a sentence but then there's stuff your wonder where the hell they got that just adding in random nonsense.

Happens in a lot of streaming shows where the English subs for generally English shows are just the English CC and nothing more, ridicules to have to change to French subs so I can understand what a characters just said in Spanish. As all it'll say in the English subs is [Speaking Spanish]. Games are thankfully not that bad but still.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This will test my theory that Western audiences simply don't want High Fantasy movies; Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragons were big IPs and still flopped. And yeesh, what a big wet fart of a director. Surely David Fincher had a treatment in his big slush pike? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

The NHK News channel have a show that teaches Japanese if you really want to up the debate 😀

I find myself stopping on that channel a lot. I find Japan fascinating, I would love to visit some day.

But I must admit I am not a subtitles fan. I do agree anime etc are much better in japanese but I find i miss so much of the movie having to focus on the subtitles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, Yakuza Japanese voice acting and transcends the games. Sometimes i miss the subtitles but one very angry Japanese man has ripped off his shirt in 1 motion and shouted KIIIIIIIRRRRRRYYYYYUUUUUU. The subtitles might as well say that **** is about to go down! There is so much writing in the Yakuza games, I definitely miss some story beats from missing subtitles while being enthralled by the drama playing out in front of me (kind of like "i don't know what's going on but i love it!") But i get more out of it from the Japanese va's, the English actors don't/can't do it justice.

The Jason had gotten sources that GTA 6 to be announced as early as this week with a trailer next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finally, an announcment that they're making the game everyone knows they've been making! And good to give us a few weeks to process the announcement that they're making the game we all know they've been making before showing us a trailer for it. The announcement and then the trailer too close together.... that would be too much to handle.

Did you ever play Crazy Taxi and thought "hmmm I like this game but it's a bit too crazy"?, then Taxi Life is for you!

Playing the Yakuza games (or others) in Japanese with English subtitles is the only way I could play too. The English voices can just feel so out of place, especially with the animations etc. I think there's a cadence and flow to the Japanese voices and performances that suits the animations and style of the game, to the point where you don't need to understand the voice, but can clearly infer the emotions in the performance that can often be missing or lacking in the English VO.

But I'd also say the dialogue in Yakuza games can often be so long and repetitive that I mostly just scan the subtitles for key words and then skip to the next line of dialogue. In fairness though, I often do the same in English language games too.

I'd do the same for TV shows. Something like Squid Game, watching it with English voiceover ends up being more distracting than reading the subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

Don’t have much hype for GTA6 at all.

Im sure it will be a massive technical achievement and will have the best approximation of a city we’ve seen yet, but I’m assuming online will be the focus from Day 1 and the core single player experience will be broadly similar to previous games.

Single player open world games have come on leaps and bounds since GTAV and even RDR2, so it would need to be a significant change for me to be interested.

At the very least I hope they get rid of the constant alerts about needing eat or bathe or sleep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The original Yakuza has a pretty bad localisation. The voice cast is actually pretty decent but they make all the Yakuza you fight sound like gangbangers from LA. It's pretty jarring

I'm a bit worried about it after how bad RDR2 was. I just hope they make it stupid fun.

I wouldn't mind a mix. I do enjoy a lot of the more scripted/thematic missions, even if they are a bit on-the-rails and you're forced to do what the game wants, but RDR2 got the mix of that badly wrong where that was most of the game. GTA6 above all else needs to have enough stupid fun missions that you can do however you want to balance out the scripted missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I hope they bring back Burgershot for GTA VI. Welcome to Burgershot motherfucker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

I don't know, with the success of GTA online you could see why they'd do that. But they already saw that while developing RDR2 and still chose to focus on making an excellent single player game there. The online component will undoubtedly be there and run and run, but Rockstar do have a good track record when it comes to single player experiences and they've certainly had enough time and resources to invest in both in parallel.

There's also been a backlash against live service games recently and most of the biggest titles lately have been single player experiences, something Rockstar will no doubt be aware of. There's easily a big enough audience for the single player side of it to make huge sales, while also including the multiplayer for the long tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So they're announcing GTA VI and revealing Days Gone 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

The Schreier prophecy has come to pass. GTA 6 trailer in 'early December'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

And by "early December" we mean Geoff Keighleys masturbatory s*itfest, The Game Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Cue a thousand videos talking about and analysing that tweet.

"December reveal? Mariah Carey as playable character and doing the soundtrack."

"Next Grand Theft Auto? No number mentioned so will just be GTAV: Reloaded"

Nintendo switch exclusive.

Keighley is loving this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Great news. Now how about a game of bowling cousin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

GTA 7 in 2040 at this rate.

Advertisement