Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N78 - Athy Southern Distributor Road [completed]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FreedomOfSpeechAndChoice

Looks like we have our new "M17" for this thread.

Thanks for the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Would be great to get the trucks out. The town centre needs serious remodeling with a big central pedestrianised space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great to see this one get underway after many decades of talking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Another quick update folks...

One of the local photographers took some drone footage yesterday

(hopefully link appears OK below)

Szeremeta Rafal - New Road progress | Facebook

Looks to be plenty going on anyhow. Saw plenty of progress and site works off the train and also on the Castledermot road. Also lights on the Castlecomer road- big project but it should be very worthwhile

• Advertisement

Are the junctions going to be roundabouts? I’d hate to see traffic lights tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

There will be a new roundabouts at ends, but drawings have the intermediate junctions as at-grade, light controlled crossings: this is an urban relief road, not a bypass.

From the planning application:

• 3.4km of urban arterial road (Type 3 single carriageway), incorporating pedestrian and cycle facilities;
    • Two new roundabouts – one on the N78 Kilkenny Road south-west of Athy town centre and one on the R418 Castledermot Road south-east of the town;
    • One connection to an existing roundabout – N78/M9 link road / R418 Kilcullen Road east of Athy town centre;
    • Two signalised cross-roads junctions, at Fortbarrington Road and at the R417 Carlow Road, both incorporating right turning lanes and pedestrian/cycle crossings;
    • One river bridge with an 80m single span over the River Barrow;
    • One railway bridge over the Dublin-Waterford railway line

Hopefully you'll be able to view this ok....

Quick drone footage of progress from R418 side down back of Rugby grounds...

https://www.facebook.com/CouncillorMarkLeigh/videos/637594297707074

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

Thanks Pablo, its looking good to see it progressing. I might buy you a pint at the end of the month.

great to see everybody out whinging on Facemuck as well.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

More photos from local Senator

Some of the photos to shut the FB wingers up about the road not being wide enough... 🤣

https://www.facebook.com/mark.wall.1272/posts/pfbid02sTCKqYBmcSypAHiV64r635NmJFvGtVwwoWk5VxAoHkUKBpsXAtsXWoi4uyEqxsX8l

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 hgj

Hi everyone,

What do you think it will happen in terms of noise levels this new roads sections to close neighborhoods like Corran, Dún Brinn or Coneyboro? Something to concern about it? Thanks.

Seems to be progressing well. Roundabout at the castlecomer road end completed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭ffocused

Nice to see it opening soon.

Should make a big difference- if you’re travelling from north Kilkenny to Dublin direction I wonder will it make the N78 more convenient than joining the M9 further south and saving some kms

Post edited by road_high on

Should be open around 7pm today.

All the lads have been out for their photoshoot.

Those photo opps piss me off as we have to wait around for days or even weeks to got their narcissistic diaries as taxpayers paying for the schemes…

But let’s stay positive and this should be a great scheme- is the N78 to be redesignated to the new road?

Anyone tried the new relief road yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JVince

I suspect the photo is fake :)

I'll have to drive to athy to see it before I believe it.

• Advertisement

I made a video of this morning but unfortunately it won’t upload for me. Nice scheme and much quicker than going through the town. About 3/4 mins end to end. Very much an urban type road in design with no overtaking and lots of pedestrian provision. A great addition in all

Can you stick it on YouTube.

Just found the following in relation to the construction of the Road.

Here we go;

Went from the Castlecomer road roundabout to the Dublin one and back again. Apologies in parts the phone slipped briefly on the dashboard as I’d no holder but otherwise fine

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's meant to be a distributor road for the town rather than a bypass. It's meant for local movements rather than high speed through traffic. It was actually built under local/regional funding and Kildare County Council applied to TII for it to be designated as N78.

Traffic on the N78 link road is 5,500 so unless there's a remarkable volume of traffic using the old N78/R418 to get to far side of Athy via the new road there's no justification whatsoever for anything more than what's been built.

I think the new road is plenty sufficient. Was plenty of traffic on it but moves along perfectly well with min hold ups at the lights. If all towns this size had similar it would be a great template to follow. The M9 was built to take through traffic off the N78 anyhow

Actually felt a bit nostalgic driving this one yesterday- thinking of all the many trips to Dublin via Athy (this was our main route to Dublin pre M9) and all those memories and time spent crawling through athy. It took a very easy 4 minutes to bypass the town now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

I cycle a lot and used the new road last week, I definitely wouldn't use the pedestrian/cycle lane as there were so many walkers/runners/kids/dogs etc that I'd knock someone down. Its great to be able to go through town easily without stop starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

I can share a road too, and will continue to do so there, its more danger to use it than not.

Advertisement