Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think no mater what happens, it is clear as crystal that Molly Martens is a seriously contemptible human being, as are her defence team, albeit they have to try anything for their client

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Her interview with the police was about tying herself up in knots in terms of answering some simple questions providing one answer then a different one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

It's a revolting tactic by the Martens but then again they did beat Jason to death with a paving brick and a baseball bat so should not expect too much from them.

Victim impact statements may be read out later today I believe.

edit im a day ahead- was thinking today was Wednesday -

Post edited by Oscar_Madison on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Will be interesting to hear what the kids say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-41264785.html...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The defenses expert in domestic violence.

Prosecutor Alan Martin asked what his opinion was on why Molly Martens had invented a number of stories about her life, including the fact that she had given birth to Sarah Corbett and that she had a sister who died from leukemia.

Mr Hampton replied, “They were things she wished for, it’s not unusual for people to exaggerate things, lying on the stand is different.”

She wished for a sister that was dead of leukemia.... wut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

His 'expert' opinion that MM was a sufferer of domestic violence was based on reading a report that was compiled by her defence lawyers.

Nuff said.

Saw that. His comments were a disgrace.

Horrible horrible people ripping apart Jason Corbett, a man dead due to two absolute scumbags destroying him..

cannot imagine the pain his loved ones are enduring

All for money.

• Advertisement

Below is pretty much it… sickening there are folks buying the out and out lies

Molly Martens weaponised Jason Corbett’s children against him, before “bashing his skull” in, when she learned he wanted to take the children back to Ireland and divorce her, a court heard.

The Tennessee woman (40) knew “the endgame was coming” and she took advantage of having her father, a former FBI agent, in the house on the night of the killing to unleash an explosive and lethal event, assistant district attorney, Alan Martin, told the Davidson County Superior Court.

Molly Martens had an extraordinary ability to dissemble, deceive and manipulate others through lies, and placed recording devices around her home to manufacture evidence of domestic abuse, the Davidson County Superior Court heard on Tuesday, the seventh day of a sentencing hearing for Tom and Molly Martens who have pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter.

Although there were multiple recording devices all over the house, recording for several months, only one recording was produced for an expert witness in domestic violence, Dr Scott Hampton, to review. This one tape showed Jason raising his voice, but not resorting to any violence.

Daddy lived 5 hours drive away, him and his wife turned up unknown to Jason as to what Molly had arranged that night. Wonder how long the Martens had plotted that visit before turning up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

What do people think the outcome will be ? I feel they walk with time served ( btw I don't agree with this with one iota )

RTÉ update on prime time

Closing arguments starting tomorrow.

We expect but not certain vocal victim impact statements tomorrow

Judge says he might not get to a judgement before Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Indeed friends of his stated that his unscheduled decision to visit was way out of the ordinary for him, to my mind Jason had informed Molly in the day or two before that he was returning to Ireland with the kids.

Walk but with probation time - likely a sentence of 5 years 7 months - if we’re counting down from a max of 9 years the so called mitigation heard over the last week I think will shave a number of years off that - I don’t think there will be an appetite to jail them again - not sure why I think that but with no previous criminal record, middle class, former FBI etc probably plays a significant role in bringing those years down and a reluctance to make any more out of it.

If the judge has even half a heart, he will impose some years for them to serve.

It’s as plain as nose on your face (prosecution know, defence know, and Martens’ know) that the man was set up to be murdered (regardless of what has been agreed/conceded). The judge has to bloody know..

yes, I know this sentencing relates to voluntary manslaughter; but that doesn’t mean the judge cannot believe himself what it “really” is/was… murder!

Judge is asking both sides to keep final arguments short- in other words, he’s made up his mind mostly at this point and anyway he’s not a jury so “gets” the points made to date.

Well he doesn’t sound particularly sympathetic here so I wouldn’t hold your breath :

The comment from Dr Scott Hampton, hired by the defence legal teams, prompted one member of the Corbett family to say 'Oh God' in disbelief - with gasps and groans of shock and outrage audible around the North Carolina courtroom.

Members of the Irish family left the court visibly distressed after the evidence.

Judge David Hall immediately interjected and warned that he would not tolerate commentary in his courtroom and urged that anyone who had a difficulty listening to the testimony was welcome to leave the courtroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No idea.

Could be 2 different sentences.

The judge is not bound by a prosecution recommendation, 6 - 9 years in this case, it's in the minority but not that rare that a Judge would exceed what the prosecution have asked for.

• Advertisement

Again it's not up to me. The state have dropped it.

The have conceded there was no premeditation or malice to the unlawful killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Should be life for premeditated murder, throw a few extra years on top for character assassination.

The American judicial system is as bent as a roundabout. They'll likely get time served plus whatever pitiable amount of time on top of that.

Involuntary manslaughter me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh no it is. You basically called people here conspiacists. That's not the state. That's you.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

I haven`t followed this story in any great detail, but when I heard the recording of Jason Corbett shouting, I wondered if it was a one off attempt by her to get it on tape. So not one off then, in fact multiple devices used over several months and that`s all she could come up with. Manipulative and controlling people are a nightmare to live with and if the recording was going on for several months, it should be clear that the marriage was over for several months. It makes him a bit of a saint in my opinion for putting up with her.

No I didn't.

I said the narrative that she killed her husband to steal his kids is conspiracy.

Underlined again in court yesterday.

Dr Hampton said Martens Corbett had consulted a family law expert who had told her she needed to stay in her marriage until either the children were old enough to decide to stay with her of their own volition, or get them legally adopted, or stay in the relationship "until she got injured".

Dr Hampton told the court it was absolutely in Martens Corbett’s interest to stay married and to keep Mr Corbett alive in order to realise her wish to legally adopt and get custody of the children.

I'd go out on a limb and say she was trying to record him and spend the entire time goading him so she could make him look abusive so she could try and force some guardianship rights for the kids in court.

The murder was probably bottom of the list but came to the top of the list when him leaving the country became more solid and imminent.

This is a dangerous and manipulative narcissist we are seeing here.

no malice in bashing a mans skull in with a baseball bat?...I despair

I'd go out on a limb and say she was trying to record him and spend the entire time goading him

If offering to make him soup and pancakes is "goading" then I suppose she did.

Certainly the recordings were all about goading him to get evidence- apparently there were multiple recording devices throughout the house but mysteriously we only have a short sample recording now- this one of him arguing with her and of course she’s on her best behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

American media seem to be leaning towards Molly’s side:

To me, this is a an open and shut case and I do believe the Martens planned Jason’s murder in advance. It’s tragic it seems he will never get justice. It’s so tragic for his family too.

I listened to the Crime World podcast yesterday and an episode from 2021 covered the case. Recordings were played from when the Martens were taken in for questioning. The way Tom Martens speaks is chilling. So cold and so clinical.

The podcast also supplied evidence that the Martens tried to paint Jason as a stereotypical Irish drunk. Saying that he was always drinking and was drunk on the night he died. Yet, the toxicology report refuted this and in fact showed he had drunk barely any alcohol.

Molly comes across a lot as way more “human” in her reaction - openly sobbing, notably a hell of a lot more so when she’s told she’s not entitled to adopt the children

Advertisement