Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

So you honestly think that people in Ireland having empathy with the people of Gaza is down to them hating Jews? Honestly? What issue would Irish people have against the Jews exactly? I am atheist myself and consider All organised religions damaging in many way. They are just people to me. On both sides. Play the anti-Jew card all you want but I think that's stupid. It's just an excuse.

Dr Valera was a FF idiot by the way. I blame him for letting the Roman church run riot in Ireland for decades.

I voted FG for 20 years and I admired Alan Shatter as a politician and speaker. However I lost all faith in him when he refused to provide a breath test at a Garda checkpoint. The Justice minister! That was it for me. I lost a family member to a drink driver once so I am "biased". Does that make me anti-Jew because I have no time for Shatter anymore?

I have never come across anti-Semitism in Ireland. I figured people were too busy hating the Protestants!

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Anti-Semitism existed in Europe long before Versailles.

Gaza has a border with Egypt, that Egypt and Hamas control.

Israel left Gaza in 2005 and instead of trying to build a new life for its people, they directed all resources to kill Jews and Israelis with this policy coming home to roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No. You took issue with a poster saying that Jewish people were 33% of the population. You then produced a table which showed that that was actually correct.

But you instead tried to imply that the gerrymandered 55% of a partial region, after it's "cleansing", of the area somehow refuted the 33%. It doesn't.

Did you read the links I sent you? Israel did not leave Gaza in 2005. How many times...

• Advertisement

Still no solution though.

It's also naive to not call out the deep Anti-Semitism that exists in the Arab world. There is plenty of documentation going well back before the state of Israel came to be, highlighting this.

Also, in fairness you are dead wrong to compare what is happening in Gaza to Srebencia.

The latter was a deliberate killing of all males over the age of 12.

What the IDF are trying to do is destroy Hamas. They give warnings to the people on the ground. You cannot equate Hamas and the IDF here.

Overplaying and underplaying the numbers here, but as I wrote, the Arabs were never to agree to ANY plan to partition Palestine.

The UN voted and accepted this plan and in return, the Arabs launched a war to wipe out the Jews.

Those talking about respecting International Law should concede that was against International Law, not 'whatabout' it.

It is not difficult to follow the posts. Your original post asked:

If you cannot understand mistakes of the past, then you will be doomed to repeat them forever. Nothing occurs in a vacuum.

Well, we in Ireland think 'our' nationalism was fluffy and nice.

But you made my point for me.

Arab or Palestinian nationalism was not fluffy or nice in the general sense. It was reactionary, populist, right-wing, and hugely anti-Semitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

One reason for that was Irish Catholicism. Anti-Semite passages in Catholic liturgy were removed only in the 1960s. The first Pope ever to visit a Synagogue was the John Paul II in 1986 and the Vatican established relations with Israel the only in 1994.

As part of the reforms adopted during the Second Vatican Council, the church removed references to ''perfidious Jews'' from the Roman Catholic liturgy in the 1960's, and in an important document issued in 1965 condemned references to Jewish guilt for the death of Jesus and deplored anti-Semitism.

There's a legacy of sub-conscious anti-Semitism in Ireland. Combine that with the warped superimposition of the Irish-British struggle to the Palestinian-Israel one along with the ignorant conflation of Isreal with a colonial oppressosor (namely Britain) and ta da, welcome to this thread 😎

• Advertisement

I got my Math from the article itself, which is derived from the Census.

At the risk of making your head explode, could you have a think and let us know how Israel are creating and controlling the lists of people who are allowed to leave Gaza and enter Egypt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

FT reporting that rocket launchers were found in Gaza in a mosque and in a children's scout clubhouse. Not only does Hamas use Palestinian children as human shields but they store high explosives in kids clubs.

How many more kids have to die on this one? If Ireland is on one side (with Hamas and Iran and co.) and all the other countries in Europe are on the other side, maybe you backed the wrong horse on this one? Ireland is not on the right side of history on this one. This is worse than the time we sent a letter of condolence for Hitler. Shameful.

And if the RPGs do explode and kill the kids, just say Israel did it. Sure, half the people in Ireland will believe it anyway. We have been conned.

So again, do you think the split it was fair?

Yes I do think it was fair.

The UN voted for it after all, so I guess they thought it was fair.

Lastly, referencing British attempts to stop Jewish migration meant that many more Jews died in the death camps. In today's world, a policy like that would be mana from heaven from the likes of UKIP and the BNP. Yet, many left-wingers side with this policy?

Have a read of the below. He may not have physically murdered him but I would say he was complicit.

So he didn't kill him, nor is there any proof that he was involved in the assassination. Israel is a liberal democracy, where politicians can rightly or wrongly criticise the government of the day. Are you saying Rabin was beyond reproach here?

I say this as someone who doesn't like Bibi at all by the way.

However, if words make one complicit to murder, can we say parties like the PBP are complicit in the murder of 1,400 Israelis on October 7th?

No legally binding outcome or court ruling has been made in any of these. Let's see the ICJ ruling until then --- it's just noise from ther Arabic countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

It's your assessment and it's based in racist ideology. The term banana republic is rooted in white supremacy and used to demonise those of the global south and the victims of colonialism. You're one step away from the hooligans at a football match waving inflatable bananas at black players. To call all the countries around the globe who don't agree with the major colonisers banana republics and to say nobody from these regions has a right to an opinion is a pretty awful take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

There is no anti-Jewish sentiment in Ireland. That is hyperbolic. There is a complex long running reason why Ireland and the general Irish populace have sympathies with Palestine, especially in the north.

I still remember watching the RUC and Army kicking in the door of my friends house on several occasions just because his dad worked with Republicans, even my own door was kicked in without reason twice. Once when I was 5 and another time when I was 7, both times on my way to school. There was never any reason given and as a child it was terrifying. I had soldiers look down their sights at me on regular occasion, my schoolbags searched, insults thrown at me, all as a child. Many of us remember things like this.

Then you look at Palestine. All the bullshit we went through on a daily basis is a good day for them. They are being forcibly removed, beaten, interred without trial, guilty by association, shot with the latest and most advanced weaponry for throwing stones. They're all terrorists in the eyes of the IDF, just as we were in the eyes of the RUC.

Not once have I experienced or seen anything remotely anti-semitic in Ireland, anti-Israeli occupation? Sure, in bucketloads and there's absolutely nothing wrong with holding that position. Plenty of Irish have spend time in the region on peacekeeping or as volunteers to help those that needed it.

We all know the conflict didn't start in 1967.

Anything to say about the attack by the Arabs in 1948?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

As was most post WW1 nationalism.

Our own nationalism was reactionary, theocratic and mono cultural too for that matter.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Show me evidence of any large number of people celebrating what Hamas done in Ireland. Stop engaging in smear campaigns against people who don't agree with the Israeli response.

Both sides were mean, that's what happens in civil wars. There was a lot of unrest already in the 1920s and 1930s, beginnings of the civil war in the British Mandate. Saying that only the Jews were mean but the Palestinians were good shephards herding goats is exactly the root of these whole myth many people peddle on this forum and one of the reasons why Ireland is such an extreme pro-Palestinian outlier in the EU.

By the way, here's the map of the Middle East as of 1920. The region of "Palestine" (highlighted in green) totally surrounded by large and populous Arab (proto-)states Egypt, Syria, Jordan and Saudi Arabia including Arabs within Palestine itself. If anyne was the underdog in this conflict it was the Jews. And they won, the Arabs lost (and not once).

There were some Israeli soldiers and police found dead in civilian Kibbutz areas and buildings on 7th Oct.........................does that retroactively make the Israeli civilians who were killed legitimate targets?

That's your logic!

I agree, but do you now take on board that Anti-Semitism is a core part of this conflict, that no matter how nice the Israelis are to Arabs, there will exist groups like Hamas who want to kill them all?

Surely you understand that?

They arent.

It's a myth that Israel controls who leaves and enters the Rafah gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

And they could well be carrying Hamas fighters. They consider injured people non-combatant, and under the Geneva Conventions as such they are protected and to be helped. They don't ask the people being loaded into their vehicles what their politics are or how they got their injuries.

You should read your own links

"The United Nations, international human rights organizations and many legal scholars regard the Gaza Strip to still be under military occupation by Israel.[5] This is disputed by Israel and other legal scholars.[6] Following the withdrawal, Israel continues to maintain direct control over Gaza's air and maritime space, six of Gaza's seven land crossings, maintains a no-go buffer zone within the territory, controls the Palestinian population registry, and Gaza remains dependent on Israel for its water, electricity, telecommunications, and other utilities.[5][7]"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,375 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BTW Muslim Israeli citizens have some control over their lives.

that’s very cynical to say isn’t it. This isn’t their own control this is assimilation as second class citizens under Israel’s Jewish nation state laws.

Advertisement