Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

It’s been an unmitigated disaster. Viewing numbers fell off a cliff on YouTube. Word is they may have to climb down and drop it altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Do the 3 free listens ever reset on the go loud app?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Turned on YouTube one nite last week and there was 80 odd watching the newsround live.before that would have been well in the hundreds .the number of paid up memberships on the live feed almost nonexistent

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

I usually pop the morning show on around 9AM when I'm making my breakfast and then rewind it back to whatever interesting guest they have on.

This morning at that time they had 727 listeners, although to back up your point their was only one paid up youtube member in the live chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭DaithiMa

Just looking at their YouTube page now. The Sunday Paper Review has 694 views. Before the subs they would usually be getting 4/5k views.

The Manchester United content they do would usually get 5/6k views, there's an interview with Martin Lipton from 3 days ago about Utd which has 590 views.

It really is a huge drop off, surely their ad revenue is down massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can any of the people who were regular OTB listeners/texters/emailers confirm if they were ever contacted by OTB to check if they would be interested in/supportive of a paid subscription service?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Nope i wasnt. the main appeal of OTB before for me was there was no subscription, a lot of my listening was for background noise. Happily listen to an ad not to have to pay. I've found plenty free pods to keep me going. Some aren't the same quality and some are better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Listened to a bit of 2nd captains. Far superior.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I used the free month and keep forgetting it exist now until I see a post here. Don’t like the app so don’t even see it in my podcast feed bar odd one that seems to arrive randomly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

If you click on join button on YouTube it’s 13€ a month now.they certainly have a high opinion of themselves

Still says 9.99 a month when I click it.

I'd say youre looking at the YouTube Premium price but thats €11.99.

If you’re using the iOS app it’s probably the 30% commission Apple take that’s added on to the 10 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭The Davestator

If they are doing the same work as before (more or less) but are getting even a few hundred paying, it might be ok for them.

Hard to know what the business model is

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

The 2/3 minute clips they put out on social are still getting big numbers, so I would presume that it keeping the commercial partners / sponsors on side to a degree.

Not really though, the only clips to go over 1,000 views in the last week are the rugby ones. Most other are languishing in the low hundreds which by modern YouTube standards is desperate.

As a sponsor you’d nearly get more eyes on your product sticking a poster for it on a lamppost

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

They have become a total irrelevance in my circle anyway. They have gone from daily posts in WhatsApp "Did you hear the interview with X, what did you think of Y" to nothing.

Its a pity. The problem is, the likes of Ger and Nathan have too high an opinion of themselves to admit defeat and if I signed up today for a years sub I'd be raging if in a months time they announced it was being scrapped.

And as I've said so many times, they are Joe Molloy leaving them away from being completely and utterly irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I believe what happened is they contacted a certain poster on this thread.

OTB asked them would they spend a tenner a month and the poster said, Yes Ger, Please Ger, I'd actually pay 50 a month Ger cos everything ye do is so wonderful.

And the market research said 100% of people polled said they would be willing to pay a tenner a month.

Theyre the biggest sports radio show in Ireland. They're a long way from irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Obviously the thing has been a failure. The lads just aren't good enough to make money out of this from a subscription model. If they rolled back now and held their hands up I actually think they'd get a decent bounce in listeners.

I'd listen to a lot of their stuff if it was free. But I wouldn't pay for any of it. I think that's the sentiment across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are they the biggest or just the only weekday sports radio show? Saturday & Sunday sport on Radio 1 get higher ratings than Off the Ball on weekends I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Made a similar point about this recently. They have no competition* so saying they are the "biggest radio sports show in Ireland" is not a great metric.

*Game On cannot be considered competition given how terrible it is

500,000 listens a week? I doubt Saturday and Sunday sport get that combined in a weekend on average. Outside of GAA season, I would assume the numbers are very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

Their listenership live between 7-10 every evening I'd say is small.

Their bread and butter was podcasts and the sponsorship associated with those listens.

The loss of those ears, and people shrugging shoulders and finding other content of better standard, does render them irrelevant to many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You're comparing 7 days a week versus 2. My point was that the weekend shows are number 2 to RTE, and the midweek shows have no competition. So biggest sports show in country is a claim that you can't take too much heed with.

Yes, I am comparing weekly numbers to 2 shows a week numbers. Biggest show i.e. highest number of listeners a week.

You can of course break it down as average number of listeners per show.

Ultimately, neither of us have the numbers so its just a pointless argument.

50,000 on average per night. I think that's big enough.

*these figures are old. A few months. The change in model may/may not effect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

Er...yeah,I'm pretty sure the change in model did effect them!

Quoting figures from before that is obviously a bit pointless but as you say nobody has exact figures now.Major drop off though according to those who still watch/listen on YT.

I can only state my own position (which by anecdotal evidence seems to be shared by many) I used to listen a couple of times a week,I dont listen at all now and have found other stuff.

Well the new figures are not out..... JNLR have not released them. It's literally all speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ger was talking about if they got a 10-15% of their listeners subscribing that would be a success. I don't know if they've gotten that but they were ready for a huge reduction in downloaders.

Overall I think it comes down to if they're making more money now off their podcasts than before and I don't think they were making much off them before.

Advertisement