Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Have not followed this case closely... but where the Marten's not convicted of Murdering Jason Corbett a couple of years ago.... how come they got a re-trial and managed to commute the charge down to manslaughter?

Was there compelling new evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Apparently if a murderer has a psychological or mental disorder of some kind, we should be labelling THEM the “victim” and send them away with an advisory “and please don’t do that again” warning.

We’re certainly not allowed to criticise them in any way or we’ll be accused of being conspiracists and hurting their feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Interesting, first I heard of her having Mononucleosis which was why she supposedly had to leave University

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

you could have googled the case in the time it took you to type that

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

FFS Tom take a break, go put your shirt & tie on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Intriguing, I'm at a loss how anyone would bother putting recording devices around their home. Especially if they are ... living in fear.

In the run up to murdering someone with a brick by smashing their head in.

All the while trying to take their kids and pushing their family to get the kids signed over.

And yet we only have one tiny bit of recorded tape that is snipped down. After all that time.

I don't know about you but domestic abusers are pretty bloody consistent. There should be hours of recorded evidence. Why is there not ? Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Absolutely.. and we had folks here labeling him an abuser and an obnoxious creep based off her devious lies and manipulation.

Will you ever give over the “it’s not me, it’s the state.” You’ve been surreptitiously defending these scumbags non-stop, and hiding behind legal jargon in trying to not to flat out say that Molly was right to do what she did.

Your only empathy/compassion here for what that poor man suffered is that they went OTT on beating him

same with Markle. She could no absolutely no wrong. You are defending everything that is posted that paints Martens in a poor light. A woman who bashed her husband to death. Why?

god forbid if Puska is found not guilty what you’ll be posting..

Post edited by walshb on

No doubt he’ll try explain and justify this. Anything to make her out to be right and proper. Very odd. The poster has no balance. Not an iota of “sincere” criticism for the two killers..

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Advertisement

What a dumb question. No, I am not. And does one have to be related to them to think that the two scumbags who murdered him “being excused/defended” is wrong wrong wrong?

that’s your second one sentence dumb question to me. Yesterday it was asking if he was an “abuser” would I think the same of the killers..

my turn at a dumb question: are you related to the Martens?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well no. I have looked at the facts and evidence and broadly echoed 2 courts and the district attorney. Again, the Appeals Court, the Supreme Court and The District Attorney not the defence.

I have not used either defendants testimony directly and I certainly have not been hyper emotive badgering anyone who dare have an opposing opinion.

same with Markle

No idea how that is relevant.

But I find if you have an opposing opinion to your average Daily Mail comment section when it comes to that "Celeb" you are doing okay.

---------------------

So I could ask why are you so emotionally invested in this case?

But I don't care, it is not relevant, it's moot and adds nothing to the debate.

But why is it that you defend and excuse and justify glaring negative points brought up about Martens?

What is that about? You keep harping back to the "law." Have you, as a person any actual opinions on Molly as a person from all that has been relayed....

Example: the many lies she told........would you label her a liar based off this, or would you again use the "legal" side (whereby the forensic psychiatrist) prefers not to label people liars....?

You also keep ignoring the custody points by going back to the legal entitlement aspect....you won't even consider that Martens could have planned to kill Jason (gotten away with it) and then this allows her custody...but to you, to even admit this means you would be criticizing Molly.

The recordings in the house..nothing at all to say he was an abuser....and you won't even concede to this.....unreal....to any normal/rational person it's so clear what Martens was trying to do....but you won't entertain it at all...

There are other posters who have some balance, and not all pushing too hard for one side; but your postings are on a different level...you have next to no time for any postings that paints Martens negatively....that is just beyond odd....

You are attacking anyone that has a differing opinion whilst at the same time pontificating about balance.

The poster has no balance

What a dumb question. No, I am not. And does one have to be related to them to think that the two scumbags who murdered him “being excused/defended” is wrong wrong wrong?

Absolutely.. and we had folks here labeling him an abuser and an obnoxious creep based off her devious lies and manipulatio

I respect your opinion although highly emotive, I have already conceded it is broadly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

No, they haven't. They thought it was pre-meditated before the original trial but opted for muder in second degree to secure a conviction. They used a plea deal here because they assessed that the new 'evidence' could muddy the waters enough to give a reasonable doubt to some jurors and they'd be acquitted. Given the reaction of some posters here to the nonsense that he killed his first wife I think their assessment was correct. At least under this plea deal they are convicted felons which will be a problem for Molly at 40 years of age. Additionally a wrongful death case brought by Jason's children is going to be only a matter of how much now and will likely bankrupt them.

Fair enough, Boggles....we will agree to disagree.

Although I disagree with your takes on this issue/case, I respect your right to your views/opinions. Apologies if you think my postings to you came across badgering.

No, they haven't

They have

"Defendant agrees to tender a plea of no contest to Voluntary Manslaughter, a Class D felony, on the theory of imperfect self-defence or defence of another.

"Upon the Defendant's plea, the State concedes the Defendant actually believed that defensive force was necessary but contends that at some point during the encounter that belief became unreasonable, and the amount of force employed was excessive.

"For the purpose of this plea and sentencing, the state does not embrace any other legal theory, including any theory that includes premeditation or malice as an element of the offense.

Additionally a wrongful death case brought by Jason's children is going to be only a matter of how much now and will likely bankrupt them.

Brought and settled over 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Same applied to the 2nd degree murder conviction - the prosecutors thought it as pre-meditated but figured a 2nd degree conviction was a surer thing.

1st degree can be almost impossible to prove it a huge risk if only going with that charge - you can see from this thread alone how much mischief a defence attorney could make had the trial gone again with the previous charge of even 2nd degree.

Having seen summaries of the defence statements throughout this hearing, I’m not one bit persuaded that they shouldn’t serve any more time - given the charge now, and the fact that I believe 9 years is the higher area of sentencing for such a case, 7.5 years might have been appropriate given guilty pleas, previous lack of criminal record etc

Im predicting a sentence if about 5.5 though with no more time to be served - o just think that’s getting off way to lightly

I have no idea what the prosecution thought. It's irrelevant really as you point out.

But there was shock in North Carolina they managed to get the 2nd degree murder charge conviction.

Not so shocking and when you consider they were pretty much given an open goal by the trial judge.

• Advertisement

I'm still wondering how a consistent domestic abuser who was so foul they forced his new wife into murdering him for peace.'murdered' his previous wife, is entirely absent from any form of evidence of said abuse over months of secret device recordings except for a small snippet of an argument.

I mean you put such significance in it several times surely you'd expect there to be far more actual evidence since he was so foul and dastardly to this poor poor lady.

Consistently indicating they were both at it and there was a toxic relationship... yet no hours of recordings.... where? Why ?

It couldn't possibly be that it's entirely made up could it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

How many times did they hit him over the head?

Im just wondering what the limit is when bashing someones brains so that they stop at that number and then just get done for manslaughter.

The official number is not known due to how badly beaten he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

One hit you could make a case to me that you didnt mean it and i might give you manslaughter. Go in to finish the job and you arent getting manslaughter from judge shark

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Don't expect an answer just a glib passive aggressive mumbling about the state.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It couldn't possibly be that it's entirely made up could it ?

It could be possible that the one single recording that was played in court was rather innocuous and just got Jason Corbett at a bad moment.

But given the entirety of the evidence we heard in the past 7 days I don't think it is plausible the entire thing is a fabrication, the recording would be seen as corroboration. Or at least that would be the thinking.

We will have to wait for the Judge to sum up his decision.

I don't know about you but domestic abusers are pretty bloody consistent.

Well that wouldn't be default. There is certainly trigger points and domestic abuse victims can learn these and try and mitigate.

From what I have read over the years of domestic abuse survivors, Domestic Abusers can over compensate and spend more time being remorseful until the next trigger point and the whole process then starts again.

According to Sarah one of the trigger points that made her father angry was if she got out bed and went to their room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

I don't think I've ever seen a case built on such a tissue of lies.

There's literally nothing there to suggest this was self-defence. She or her father didn't have a mark on them. They caved this poor man's head in with a paving slab.

She is an inveterate pathological liar, lying about being editor of a Limerick publication, lying about being on a prestigious University swim team, lying to a Bible group about giving birth to his kids, lying about meeting his first wife, lying about having a baby sister who died of cancer.

Her father has also plainly lied about talking to Mr. Corbett's first wife's father and being told stuff about his first wife's death. A complete fairytale.

When this mendacity is put to one of the defence experts, a psychiatrist iirc, they laughably euphemised such lying as "future-pacing", so these fellas are clearly bought and sold also.

Why aren't the people in the thread who sympathise with Martens addressing this mountain of lies.

They make OJ look believable.

The recording where Jason raised his voice is a corroboration of all the tales that Molly told friends about him being an abuser? Doesn’t sound at all like a corroboration to me. Jaysus, wouldn’t everyone be an “abuser” by this stick??

I think it’s obvious enough that Martens engaged in recordings as part of whatever plan she was concocting to gain custody, get out of marriage, murder Jason ..

the abuser claims are all hearsay and tales from a desperate and devious defence.

Hopefully the judge knows this.

With the introduction through pure sophistry of the possibility that Jason’s first wife was murdered by him, I actually don’t care what the defence are saying - they went too far with that allegation- it’s obvious that it’s a pile of sh1te and I’m simply placing everything else they say into the “pile of sh1te” bucket also.

When you go too far with trying to stretch my imagination in order to open the door of doubt, you lose all credibility with me so even the things you’re saying which may be true or at least far more believable, get placed in that same bucket.

Molly and Tom are liars - for me the closest there is to the truth about what happened on the night lies in the forensic evidence. Anything after that is she said/ he didn’t because he’s dead.

• Advertisement

It stands out particularly well that you have no interest in real evidence.

The recording which to your own admission is scant representation of real abusive situation and also the extreme lack of any other recording evidence despite the huge amount of time and number of devices secretly used to gather data. On its own proves nothing.

But coupled with no physical sign of abuse on the female defendant nor any corrabitive witnesses to this abuse means its fabricated hearsay.

Based on your own high standards for evidence. There is none.

Thats the beauty. You're eating yourself by your own words.

It's objectively false to say there was a domestic abuse situation here nothing substantive supports it.

Advertisement