Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Servicing a car still within warranty

• 07-11-2023 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Neighbour has a Ford focus 1.5 Tdci that he wants me to do a full service on, car is still within warranty for another 2 years.

I can carry out the work no problem, but I've advised him to only use Genuine Ford because its still in warranty

Would there be any issues with voiding warranty because I'm just a lad doing work on cars in my driveway? Even though Genuine parts used?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

If anything goes wrong they will find fault with your work and walk away..............could be expensive in long run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Hahahaha if you need to ask…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

you're kidding right? just tell them the Ford dealer costs the same in the end so no point, you'll check over after if they really want tho.

it's the "you touch it you own it" principle there and strongly advise not to touch it with a bargepole, its never worth it lol

most people these days always looking for someone to blame or associate with blame when anything goes wrong atall and guarantee you'll be in the frame if so much as their fupping wiper blades split even tho you dropped the oil for them

took a neat Touran in from the UK once for sister inlaw, pre brexit, proper 2 day excursion to locate the right car and home, did the VRT etc. saved them 4 grand. 6 months on the DMF flywheel starts going. it happens, I've seen it on yokes with less than 20k miles. well I never heard the end of it. made sure I heard how much it cost to get done with "their guy" (they were massively done lol) but it left a bad taste in my mouth for sure cos I care too much see

in another example I used to have a route to affordable laptops which I would oblige family and friends with for years, I'm an ex-technician, customised and updated them as well, went out of my way top class premier level. got fupp all thanks for it. family were actually the worst. not one problem any of them had was remotely associated. but I was the hotline of blame.

so I say fupp that sht and steer clear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭SVI40

EU law prohibits the invalidation of warranty if the service is carried out as per manufacturer's specifications, and using OEM parts.

Not having it done by a main dealer does not invalidate the warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

Good luck actually getting a warranty claim approved in reality though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Thanks for the comments lads, all taken into account, I'll tell him go to a garage for the work.

Have no problem doing work for anyone to help save a few quid, but the last thing I want is someone that hasn't a clue about cars saying I caused this and that.

Had a lad recently ask about yellow oil light on dash, level was fine, went through a few things, disconnected battery and reconnected to see if code would clear, power steering light came on due to battery being disconnected and there was a big issue over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

its not worth the hassle to save a few quid - there will be no goodwill without full main dealer history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

And Ford would not be the most expensive services of the main dealers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Manufacturers / Distributors will try and absolve themselves of warranty claims in any way possible.

mk7r is right - just get it done in a main dealer until the warranty is up and then go where you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Ive a 6 year old s-max and still bring it to a main dealer for regular servicing. Anything beyond that goes to an Indy. I find the dealer very reasonable for servicing and also buy all my consumables, oil, filters, wipers,etc directly from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

A little knowledge is dangerous.

You need to be able to prove that the work was done exactly to the Manufacturer specification if they decide to start arguing the warranty cover.

Will the indy be able to prove in two years time that they used the correct amount of the correct oil, checked everything that Ford do in their latest service manuals, addressed any technical bulletins related to that specific car? Even if they indy could prove all that, are thry going to waste their time arguing your case for you?

Is a dealer you've never given any aftersales business to, really going to stick they neck out for you looking for a goodwill claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This is wise advice.

There's two things at play - first is proving that the manufacturers service requirements were adhered to - as a minimum an invoice would be needed detailing registration, mileage, date, oil grade and parts used that while don't need to be OE, do need to be of equal quality and the onus is on the customer to prove this. A stamp in the service book won't wash. Second is looking for goodwill outside of warranty FROM a dealer when no goodwill was SHOWN to the dealer by having the car serviced elsewhere.

Stick with a main dealer if at all possible as it could save a major headache down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I had a main dealer tell me they couldn't because,

"That cable tie is not factory"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭SVI40

Only pointing out what the law says, not advocating it 😀.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Funnily enough this popped up on my Facebook.

Advertisement