Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turned mains off but hot tap is still running water

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

I doubt the cabinets were built over the isolation valves. My lads weren't that thick when putting in the kitchen.

There really isn't much room under there. Maybe an inch or two the most..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

Sometimes the stopcock is in the void under the press with access by removing the kick at the front.

This is the cold water pipe in the kitchen. Also a look below the kitchen board.

I really can't identify any valve or lever.

Your original fitter was an idiot then. Concentrate on finding your meter cover, if you leave it to your plumber he could waste a day trying to find it and your wallet will be much lighter.

Thank you so much for this.

I can't explore this route right this minute unfortunately. I have an individual in the background very nervous of me and panicking big time and ordering me to wait for a plumber but I am going to need to know how to get the water turned off when a plumber gets here. I haven't touched anything yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As mentioned above. Take the kickboard of from under the cabinet and grab a torch.

Kitchen fitters have zero interest in plumbing and will most definitely put a cabinet over a valve if it suits them.

I still didn't check behind the kick board. I cant do that right now.

I vaguely remember stepping over something on the kitchen floor when the kitchen was bare and it was being put in but that was a long time ago and I just can't fully remember.

I bet that's where it is.

I don't have any suction cups for pulling the kickboard. I tried some wrenches and I got a corner off but can't get the longer kickboard off.

I don't know of it's under the sink.

It's an old house I think maybe it might be somewhere outside the back yard but I don't know. I think it might take me another few more days to find the cold water feed.

I am going to go outside to the road and look around now.

Would a metal detector app help?

There is an iron gate on the road about an A4 size. I can't lift that. I notice other neighbours have smaller plates.

I am going to look in the ditch outside the house to see if there's anything.

Would a metal detector app help?

This is the door that is in the ground in the road outside. It's more located outside the neighbours house more than mine but we are directly opposite each other.

Would this be the neighbours house or mine or both?

I know other neighbours up and down the road have this square thing outside their entrance. I can't find this outside my place and also to my closest neighbour.

• Advertisement

Would that iron door control my water? Is that what I am looking for or should I keep searching?

I wonder would that brown iron door on the ground outside stop up my water?

Would anyone know?

I have a hose outside the back but it's not from a tap. I think it comes from the ground. I think maybe the stopcock to the property is outside. I think maybe if I was to follow the end of the hose it might be somewhere close by. Possibilty.

But it's all overgrown.

My only bet right now is the mains on the road wherever that is a plumber.

Hopefully that is the door above on the road and I hope he will get to me as soon as possible.

That certainly looks like a very old water meter cover. You need special keys to get them up.

Metal detector app is nonsense. So no.

The metal door is definitely a water mains stop cock. Who's it is would only be achieved by testing it off.

The black cover is the new water meter cover.

Follow your hose.

There is so much overgrowth I can't even find the hose.

• Advertisement

Would there be two meters under it? It looks very big. I am not able to open it.

What kind of a key am I looking for?

Also would a plumber have that key?

If you know there's a hose, find it and follow it. It leads to the magic kingdom.

There's too much overgrowth outside. I can't even find the hose never mind following it.

My only hope is the mains on the road.

That poster is an absolute bell. Don't listen to them they spend the day talking nonsense across the site. Best ignore them.

• Advertisement

I think there is an outside stopcock that is separate from the road/meter. My father used to say it when I was small. I think maybe there might be something outside but I don't know and can't find it right now.

I think maybe in older houses of there's an outside tap there might be a manhole cover nearby.

I don't have a tap. It's a hose coming from the ground. I think I need to find the hose and follow it to the ground.

I am hoping a plumber will get to me tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is that not a valve (your first pic) missing its lever?

Use a pliers to turn it?

They're looking to replace that.

I don't need to replace that right now. I just need to stop a leaking tap. I acn do a replace valve another time.

I saw that. Under my sink. It looks to me as if that's going to the dishwasher.

If it's as simple as that, that would be great, I think I could replace the tap tonight.

If it's that, that would be fantastic. And then I could relax on the plumber calling and he can get to me anytime he can and fit an isolation valve any time he wants.

Would this work? If this will shut down the cold water to the tap that would be good.

I don't have any plumbing knowledge but from looking at the pipes, that really doesn't look like an inward feed and it looks more like maybe a valve to the dishwasher. I don't think thats going to work. I am open to correction and I can try it tonight when I get home.

The cold water feed would more than likely be coming in from this direction. That little valve or nub is leading to the dishwasher.

Yes, I would be fairly confident. That will only shut off water supply to the dishwasher. I think if it was to shut off the water to the tap, it would be located down lower on the cold water pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭monseiur

Seeing that you're unable to locate your mains isolating valve, hire a pipe freezing kit. Just freeze pipe well below tap and work away, fit a lever stop/ball valve on pipe while you're at it. Do not return kit until you're sure there're no leaks😉

I'm not familiar with a freezing kit. Would a plumber have that kit on them too?

I do have a plumber booked now and hopefully he will be able to get to me.

I would like to continue to explore to find a stop valve.

It can't be too hard. I know the last work in the kitchen was in 2009 so it must be somewhere on the property. That was before the water meter days too.

As for the water meter mains - I vague remember something in a ditch a few years ago. I know on the road there is a section of tarmace that is different than the rest of the road and it's rectangular shape and it reaches the side of the road. I think maybe there could be something in under the overgrown ditch. Quite possibly. I just need to dig grass and pull it up. I am going explore this option in the morning.

Would there be any point in getting a plumber out if I can find the cold water shut off point?

I will keep exploring to find it.

I'm astonished how there isn't an inside valve to cut off the water unless if it's behind the kickboard.

There's no indoor isolation valve to cut off the mains. It's outside.

Also unlikely I have a meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Sorry only see this now. I meant my own is in the bottom of my hot press. What year roughly was your house built.

The one in the second picture looks like a water meter. If the one in the first pic is outside your gate you should be able to turn off the water there. Local council workers would have the fitting to do it or one of your neighbours may have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sounds like you need to clear some of the overgrowth.

Try looking for the stopcock outside near the backdoor or kitchen sink or hose. If you don't find it the plumber will either charge you for finding it or the job might be more trouble than it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Stop op, just stop.

Wait for your plumber you have no idea what your doing and can only make things worse by trying.

If your leak is going down the sink no worries. If it's going somewhere else then organise a way of collecting the leaked water until your plumber arrives .

If the metal door outside your gate houses the stopcock this is what you will need to shut the water off.

As I said earlier the local council workers should have one or maybe one of your neighbours has one. Hope you get sorted.

How so? Others have advised exactly the same thing... 🙄

I definitely 100% do not have an internal stop valve.

It's outside somewhere in my yard. I have a general location of a stopcock location but no luck at finding it. It's a needle in a haystack.

I went searching outside my boundary and drive way and I don't have a meter door.

Would a plumber have tools to search for an external stopcock?

I got in touch with my plumber that will hopefully be able to still come to me to update him on the situation and just to give him a heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The less said the better or they might be scared off.

I found the manhole cover and the external stopcock/mains. Delighted. I won't open it today. Another day. Or I will leave it to the plumber.

• Advertisement
Advertisement