Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

No he didn't, because you're utterly ignorant about the history of the region and the whole conflict.

The article is about Camp David Summit in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

By your logic you’ll have also accept that any Israelis who watched relatives brutalised by Hamas, can act in any way they like, since that was created by Hamas. It works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What Leo and Martin and MichaelD said was right and restrained. And they were perfectly entitled to say it.

What Israel are doing to restrict people's movement is illegal. They are being a bully. Do you bow down to a bully?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,370 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

So as far as you are concerned, quoting the Geneva Conventions, is condoning killing ? By God, that's some twisting of what I posted. What the Red Cross stands for is the complete opposite of killing, of anyone!! They are in the saving, not killing business. Anyone who is familiar with the Red Cross / Red Crescent ( as you obviously aren't) are well aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Why would he work with forces who Assassinated the man he made the Oslo Accords with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

He said Hamas had never supported a two state solution. I showed that they do. And you're right it's old news. He should have been aware of it.

And they don't need to recognize israel. There are countries such as taiwan which aren't recognized by their neighbors. they're still both countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Lol... did you even read your own links - so Arafat signed both Oslo I and Oslo II..

Also...

But the Oslo process confronted its first major hurdle on November 4, 1995, when Rabin was assassinated by a Jewish extremist after attending a peace rally. Israel’s 1996 election, reflecting the growing concerns of the Israeli public over national security, brought to power Benjamin Netanyahu, an outspoken critic of the Oslo Accords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭amandstu

I am not familiar with the Oslo accords but it seems to me that an agreement is an agreement even if one of the signatories was assassinated subsequently.

How did Arafat torpedo the accords?Did he just disavow them or did he somehow make them unworkable.

Never considered Arafat to be an honourable man but that is beside the point if he was democratically representing his people then (was he?)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Correction. 99% of those with empathy for Palestinian suffering aren't Zionists and apologists for those attempting a genocide.

And for the gazillionith time, explaining the logic of why Hamas exists as it does not mean someone is a terrorist apologist.

Next year when the US presidential election is in full swing, I expect to be on here condemning those who support various Republican candidates while simultaneously flying flags with nazi symbols.

But, I know that then that debate is happening, that there will be posters in it who support the GOP candidate (who will not renounce the flag flyers) who are in this debate actively cheering Israel on. Please explain that level of expertise to me when you have it figured out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

How do you define colonialist? Is an Irish person involuntarily transported to Australia for stealing food a colonialist while an Israeli who deliberately takes over a house and land belonging to other people after their forceful removal is not a colonialist?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, o.k. for Israel not to recognize a Palestinian state as part of a 2 state solution?

If they don't recognize each other (in the diplomatic sense) then there's no exchange of ambassadors, no embassies, no way to deal with diplomatic concerns. I think it's a must for a 2-state solution, whatever that entails, actually, recognition is the least of the problems but a catchy phrase nonetheless.

It's the most rightwing government they've ever had. For the really right wing guys, I don't believe they actually think of it as palestine. It's just a place that they think is not officially israel yet and has some squatters living on it.

BDS isn't a cancelable offense.

Perfectly normal sentiment that our US tax dollars don't go to bombs dropped on kids heads or the efforts thereof. People might have all sorts of reasons though for not wanting to support them, eg. fungible US money going to government-subsidized abortions in Israel.

Now I understand AIPAC and aligned interests have fought the US constitution tooth and nail to BAN even talking about doing such a thing, but US Citizens still have a right to buy what they want, from where they want, and money and speech are legally synonymous. The lobbies work hard to ensure not wanting taxdollars spent on killing children is synonymous in the political narrative with wanting Holocaust II (which is absurd).

This argumentum ad hominem may hold sway with Hasbara but not with me sorry. ADL just labels the group antisemitic/antisemitic-adjacent (they're Jewish ffs), it also engages in tropes of it's own in the article you linked, 'doesn't listen to these Jews, these aren't real Jews, they don't represent us'

In most circumstances the ADL is great but in instances like these they go too far. Dealing with other Jewish groups that don't align with their politics is a real blindspot of theirs, and IMHO it is apparent here.

An Irishman who attacks the indigenous population to take their land is a colonist even if he was wrongly transported to Australia.

As is the Israeli involved in the ongoing settler programme as I acknowledged a few posts back.

Yeah our transition period lasted about 20 years.

Blinken is not trustworthy.

• Advertisement

"But the Oslo process confronted its first major hurdle on November 4, 1995, when Rabin was assassinated by a Jewish extremist after attending a peace rally. Israel’s 1996 election, reflecting the growing concerns of the Israeli public over national security, brought to power Benjamin Netanyahu, an outspoken critic of the Oslo Accords."

How did Arafat torpedo the accords?

You tell me. Not my claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

You really need to stop with the terrorist apologist angle. People have repeatedly condemned Hamas, yet whenever a rebuttal it posted, along with proof you predictably descend into name calling like terrorist apologist or holocaust denier. It doesnt enhance your argument one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No, but tying "JVP to "BDS" clarifies from when they're coming from - de-legitimize Israel (the goal of BDS) by claiming there's some arc of Jewish belief that includes Zionism causing the death of George Floyd, or whatever other nonsense JVP comes up with. Criticizing anti-Israeli actors is not hasbara or a cancelable offense :)

Off topic? There was nothing in the reports about the rally or from the ADL about George Floyd and that's not really that pertinent. At the rally their message was "end genocide now" "ceasefire now" etc. not "black lives matter" "George Floyd" etc.

The existence of a group of Jewish Americans protesting Israel's action frankly demonstrates that it is possible to criticize Israel without it being antisemitic. This obviates the most trotted out line in all of Hasbara and Israeli apologia, that all of their critics are simply antisemites at root, and the like, and are to be squelched and silenced and canceled before we can discuss for instance how many children they've sent to hell this month and what was it all for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Think this is absolutely the case.

For me, (completely removed and in no way in a position to state definitively) I think Nethanyahu and is supporters facilitated the emboldening of Hamas over the last several years knowing an attack would come at some point and that when it did, they could use it to justify they take over of as much territory as possible. Yesterday we saw videos of thousands of people being forced to leave Palestinian territory on foot. When will they ever be back there again?

Their supporters who simultaneously talk about the breadth and severity of the Hamas attack and then present IDF released supposed recordings of Hamas individuals aren't looking at it objectively enough to square the circle that either they have very detailed and accessible intelligence of Hamas communications and therefore allowed the attack to happen through abject failure, or they don't have such intelligence and so using it now to present a narrative is just PR work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

We basically have no politics on this island.

Just 1 big party swayed by popular opinion.

It's a bit like the reaction to COVID.

Hamas butchered Israelis

Israel has retaliated with vengeance to rid Gaza of terrorists

It's a horrific situation for everyone and needs to be stopped.

In built anti Israeli sentiment from Ireland has however being exposed.

Look at the reaction from other moderate EU nations.

I think people need to stand back and consider who you aes supporting

Every reasonable irish person or European supports a Palestinan state

We all know Netanyahu is an extremist fecker.

But that stops short of flying a Palestinan flag on your home or instagram account the day Palestinan terrorists butcher Israelis

Is there any political party brave enough to stand up for logic? Or us it all follow the crowd stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Just watching the news there.

Who is stopping EU citizens leaving Gaza? And whereabouts are they in Gaza while they wait to be allowed to leave?

Except Hamas are a minority. If there was a two state solution Hamas wouldn't be in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

It's worth getting familiar with them. They were pretty close to a true peaceful settlement on par with say the good friday agreement here - not all the way because the accords still had details to be ironed out and vague language that left wiggle room, but there was real and genuine progress being made in good faith between the government of Israel and the PLO that could have led to the liberation of the Palestinian people and an end to the violence that the occupation has caused.

However it was ultimately killed when right wing Jewish ethnic supremacists murdered the Israeli primeminister in retaliation for his commitment to peace. Likud, Netanyahu's party that basically represents these nationalists came to power soon after and are in power today, now in coalition with even more extreme far right parties. There was stop-start progress occasionally after Rabin's assassination as Israel's government has flip flopped and the nationalists haven't been in power continually, but it's always been against the backdrop of ever expanding Israeli settlements and land thefts that offered less and less to the Palestinians.

In parallel with that the nationalist Israeli government also basically created Hamas by nurturing them and funding them in order to destabilise the peacemakers in power on the Palestinian side too (there are many many interviews with former Israeli officials openly admitting that this was the policy) - not to mention the endless brutality they've carried out against Palestinians that turned more and more people towards extremism as their only way out, making peaceful settlement ever more difficult.

Advertisement