Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭Christy42

It does seem to frame the question in a positive light for pedos. It is framing it like a transaction.

Granted I hope anyone hitting yes goes on a list like immediately. Also whoever asked the question should be on a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Thing is, pricing is very much so targeted at the general EV market and they do pretty much dominate the US market atm. I'm just very much so hoping that lead dwindles in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭briany

The tweet is laying out a (seedy) scenario and asking for people's opinions. The only way I could say it's putting pedophilia in a positive light is in the risk of normalising it by even asking the question out loud at all, but on the other hand you may not expose some dodgy attitudes if you don't ask the question. The user is framing it as a transaction because that's the scenario they're outlining, with money being involved and parental consent.

Should this question be allowed on Musk's Twitter? I would say 'yes' with some asterisks. Asterisk one - a NSFW/over 18 flag. Asterisk two - is there a suspicion that the user is deliberately trolling or 'just asking questions' in a bad faith sense? That second one would be a lot more of a grey area, as you don't truly know what's going through someone's head when they're posting something so provocative, but I suspect they know that there'd be at least as much debate about the validity of the question as there would about the scenario outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm far from a freedumb of speech absolutist but I think that tweet should be left up there purely as a warning flag to anyone who might come across him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It doesn't work like that unfortunately. He gets views, he gets followers, ultimately it only encourages it

Allowing extreme material generates more fringe material, some of which grows exponentially. For example, Google and Youtube used to freely allow conspiracy material on their sites - however it reached a stage whereby you'd look up the moon landings or 9/11 and get thousands of conspiracy hits rather than information.

Despite recent best efforts, the internet is still a major haven and megaphone for cranks, misogynists', charlatans, bigots, scammers, populists, quacks, you name it. Look at Elon, he's down a rabbit hole of anti-vax stuff and far-right material - all using "free speech absolutism" as an excuse to vent and highlight extreme views.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭scottser

Ukraine, in particular the Donbas, is sitting on millions of tonnes of lithium and huge untapped gas reserves. Ukraine will be the EU's fuel tank.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The successes keep coming: Microsoft left back in April IIRC, but now Sony have removed Twitter support from the "instant share" button that has been on their Playstation controllers since the 4th console; YouTube and Facebook integration remain though I doubt anyone who used that function connected to FB, lol. Presumably musk tried to strongarm Sony into paying out for their Twitter API but the games company going "no thank you, it's not that critical a feature". Shame though, cos it was a handy little thing to just instantly share bugs, cool stuff, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Disagree.

Even asking whether something like that is acceptable is moving the Overton window.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Big things coming in the next few years, to be fair these are Elon years we’re talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ready in a few years..... how many monkeys have they mutilated now with zero to show for it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's no money in the world that'd persuade me to plug a chip into my head; Musk or no Musk. It's interesting that the angle he's taking is about bringing autonomy to paralysed people, so it'll be curious if that particular avenue yields test subjects.

I'm getting such Theranos vibes off of this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,606 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Juat waiting for him to annouce the teleportation button that will be attached to X next and of course once it gets regulatory approval for our first human tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He has nothing close the the charisma and charm Elizabeth Holmes had at her peak. Yes she was a charlatan but we all only really found that out after Theranos had become a black hole for money and talent. Everyone already knows Musk is a charlatan who doesn't actually do any of the work and is the worst kind of "ideas man" because he has no actual idea of what it takes to make any of his ideas a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

It’s a loaded question. Plus the request to disclose gender. It’s quite sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭briany

And 20 years ago, you may have declined to put a listening device in your home, but look how many now do essentially that. A chip in the your head will no doubt be sold on the wonderful benefits and not the nefarious pitfalls, as all this stuff is.

I think bodily invasion will be a step too far. The internet of things is easily reverted by simply turning off or removing your Alexa or whatnot; surgery and medical intrusion is a big hurdle at the best of times without people opting into having a chip installed (permanently?) into their brain. Ditto the anxiety over cognitive decline; it's a hot topic already WRT Alzheimer's or Concussion. I do believe people will not buy into their heads being tinkered with. Cyberpunk is a neat fiction with an arresting and seductive aesthetic but I'm not convinced it has a place in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

an Alexa device does not have the potential to cause irreparable brain damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I would have been fine with it 20 years ago. I mean we had phones and webcams were just coming out.

And there's a huge difference between brain surgery and a speaker with a mic.

Plus I hadn't heard loads of stories about monkeys dying because of the speakers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Every time I envision a chip in someone's head I start to think of which external entity would have ultimate control over that chip. A private company with their own financial interests at heart is producing mind altering chips is, quite possibly, the most realistic dystopian future I can imagine.

You'll end up having to watch a 10 second advert before you can proceed to think of anything. 😄

Me: "Hmmm...I wonder what I'll have for dinner tonight?"

Chip: "Hey Tone! Have you tried new curry in a can! It's a whole curry in a can! Curry in a can...from Knorr."

Me: FFS...I think I'll have a chilli.

😡

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

I imagine the legal liability for a chip in your brain (or just somehow connected to your nervous system somehow) would be tricky to figure out. Would a US health insurer refuse to cover you if you had one fitted?

It's one thing killing monkeys (there's something deeply unpleasant about that kind of animal testing too, IMO) but having real live humans die, or have fits, or get dementia after having something like that fitted - yeah, can't see it happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Or if you ask it to play Christmas music once Halloween is over.

I think this kind of thing has genuine potential for serious medical issues eg MS, Parkinsons. However it's the kind of thing I'd have confidence with medical research groups pursuing rather than likes of Musk. Body enhancement crap I think isn't happening any time soon plus even how our bodies will cope with such implanted technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They'll probably refuse to cover you if you don't...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

There's potential and there's Musk's sci fi fantasies.

Yep, idiots playing in this area is more likely to damage the credibility of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭francois

There will be more than enough blue tick simps willing to chance a lobotomy for God Elmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

SpaceX are really committing to moving fast and breaking things. It's a shame some of those things are people.

Here are some highlights:

Musk himself at times appeared cavalier about safety on visits to SpaceX sites: Four employees said he sometimes played with a novelty flamethrower and discouraged workers from wearing safety yellow because he dislikes bright colors.

The lax safety culture, more than a dozen current and former employees said, stems in part from Musk’s disdain for perceived bureaucracy and a belief inside SpaceX that it’s leading an urgent quest to create a refuge in space from a dying Earth.

“Elon’s concept that SpaceX is on this mission to go to Mars as fast as possible and save humanity permeates every part of the company,” said Tom Moline, a former SpaceX senior avionics engineer who was among a group of employees fired after raising workplace complaints. “The company justifies casting aside anything that could stand in the way of accomplishing that goal, including worker safety.”

[..]

The more than 600 SpaceX injuries Reuters documented represent only a portion of the total case count, a figure that is not publicly available. OSHA has required companies to report their total number of injuries annually since 2016, but SpaceX facilities failed to submit reports for most of those years. About two-thirds of the injuries Reuters uncovered came in years when SpaceX did not report that annual data, which OSHA collects to help prioritize on-site inspections of potentially dangerous workplaces.

[..]

The 2022 injury rate at the company’s manufacturing-and-launch facility near Brownsville, Texas, was 4.8 injuries or illnesses per 100 workers – six times higher than the space-industry average of 0.8. Its rocket-testing facility in McGregor, Texas, where LeBlanc died, had a rate of 2.7, more than three times the average. The rate at its Hawthorne, California, manufacturing facility was more than double the average at 1.8 injuries per 100 workers. The company’s facility in Redmond, Washington, had a rate of 0.8, the same as the industry average.

Advertisement