Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

What changes were made to Ukrainians getting benefits or is just talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Just talk so far

Likely to remain that way with our spineless lot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,099 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

@shamnspaceYou are correct.. So far... he is suspended.. Have to say I was not very inclined to read too much about the details of his punishment myself having heard the main content of what was said.

However the fact that a Far Right axxxxxe minister is suspended from right wing emergency coalition government for making imbecilic statements and a poster here wants to somehow use some of those statements in the discussion here, is the point.

This is a person who wants to nuke Gaza...

For Netanyahu to take any steps like that at this time it shows how seriously bad/nuts those comments were!

@zell12 And why allow the " narrative " to be decided by somebody like that particular person ?

What level are some people prepared to go to to look for support for their argument in this thread?

It would be akin to listening to the Russian Ambassador or one of Putins' ministers , ranting about us taking Ukrainian refugees, and somebody quoting him here or another providing links to his statements...but only statements that reference Ireland? And that should be taken seriously?

This person is a farright (extremely ) nutjob who even other right wingers in his own government do not rate, he has been sidelined because by his pm, yet some people are quoting his comments about Ireland here as if they are the Holy Grail.

Is this the sort of commentary this thread is espousing now?

Proposals to limit to 3 month dormitory style accomodation and cut benefits to level of most other EU countries from then..

Surprised that people are not all over this here.

Its not just talk.

Of course it will put the pressure back on the housing minister who up to now has managed to stay out of the Ukrainian issue.

The argument from RoG is that the Ukrainian war is a long term issue so housing Ukrainians should come under the remit of Minister for Housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

It's only kite flying Goldengirl

"Mr O’Brien said that, as of now, there have been no formal proposals or memos to Cabinet on the matter."

Maybe..

Or maybe O'Brien is scrabbling around for support before he has to address anything for real?

MM has already said that he doesn't want Ukrainian children having to upsticks and move school after 3 months ie families being forced to move on.

Whatever its interesting to see the pre election manoeuvres starting.

Always said that there would be a change in policy before they went to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Too late for them i hope, absolutely no saving FF FG Greens.

Anything less & it’ll be Irish people leaving on boats & planes because another term of those makes me sick to my stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

There would need to be a massive change in policy before they head out to the country.

Taking families in to stay in tents as we have no where else left and buses full of young men being smuggled into small rural communities under the dark of night.

EU puppet clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

God forbid, The prospect of Sinn Fein and a few other lunatic fringe players taking the reins makes me nauseous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Arry sure we have lunatic fringe players like O Gorman with their hands on the tiller as we are.. How he ever got to such a position is baffling, another one McEntee promoted far far above her meagre ability, between the two of them and the rest of the assorted shysters they've left a trail of destruction after them the effects of which will be felt for generations to come ... what are we like at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Yes. The Albanians and the Georgians should all just be sent back to Albania and Georgia. That’s why they destroy their passports before the plane lands. They are fleeing from nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

In perfect land it should but in reality I've never seen such perfection. People hold out and then they're too old. Over 35 was traditionally known as geriatric pregnancy.

Irish people don't really teach maturity until around 35 and by then...

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Morality, compassion and a conscience often compels people to do stuff that does not help them directly, e.g. giving money to a beggar.

So it's an Irish thing then.

That probably why the government are more interested in making it easier to sit on your backside all day and breed than get a job and raise a family on your own income.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If someones family suffer because Daddy decides to give most of their income and available accommodation to homeless people he might want to think again.

Huge issue’s in Roscrea with refugees causing trouble.

won’t hear that on rte though

Your banging your head against a brick wall trying to explain to some what is happening.

It will take for some of these model citizens to be affected someway by some of these non desirables slipping into Ireland before they cop on.

Unfortunately our ministers and so on are well away from having to deal with them so all is good in there perfect EU for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 vinegar_zombie

Not exactly true. I do live in Roscrea and nobody is happy with the sudden influx of refuges no matter their nationality.

The thing is they also become everybody's favourite scapegoat for anything that goes wrong.

Few weeks back there was a video circulating of number of men fighting on a street in Roscrea. I am old enough to remember when the night club was open fights like that were a weekly occurrence. It would also go off outside of local supermacks that was open until 2am and was capitalizing on all the drunk people leaving the nightclub. back than nobody cared because it was only local boys staring the fights.

Going back to that video. I did recognize few of the lads and non of them are refugees. They are in fact Moldavians working in the local meat factory. There is a big group of them in Roscrea because the local meat factory pays them minimum and never bother with background checks.

I don't believe there was a single instance where somebody without a doubt could linked any of the recent crimes to refuges and asylum seekers. I am not saying that there is bad apples there but people combine 2 different issues into one.

Nobody has any sympathy for Shane Lee's car being stolen. Last year he came into limelight for illegal dog selling but it was quickly forgotten. Its also believed that he is one of the architect for changing the old derelict school into a refuge canter.

A big problem in Roscrea is lack of Guards. I believe the official figure is 15 station here but no more than 2-3 on any given day. Also they close the doors after 18:00 and redirect the phones to Nenagh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

That or the Jordanians, like most Arab nations remember 'black September' and the civil war precipitated by the PLO in Jordan, they also consider the collapse of Lebanon, also in large part thanks to an influx of Palestinian refugees, and they just don't want the political instability that comes with letting people with a track record of destabilizing nations to the point of civil war into their country to do what they inevitably do.

It's almost like failed tribal, religious, and political ideologies don't just evaporate when people cross a boarder, and those failures are now a potential problem in your country. Nobody in the Middle east either likes or wants to deal with Palestinians and yet somehow a continent away, Europe for some reason should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Careful, this could be construed as an anecdote.

Less you want to fall foul of the mods, better to back up it up with double blind randomized controlled trials coupled with signed affidavits around here.

Fair to say throwing more fuel to the fire isn’t helping though?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well now some government TDs are looking to save their skins I mean seats. Paul Kehoe of FG and former minister of defence, has called for a "serious conversation" about the number of refugees coming into the country. He wants it to be with "no holds barred" and allow him to people to say what they want to say without it being taken the wrong way.

He said that the issue of accommodation for refugees was a serious one that had been raised with him every day by ordinary people who would not normally raise such issues.

Mr Kehoe made the comments after Tipperary-based senator Garret Ahearn told the meeting he welcomed the decision to pause plans to accommodate 74 asylum seekers at a hostel in Cashel where homeless people were being accommodated by the local authority. The plan has been paused pending further discussions between the council and the Department of Integration.

FF Td Jackie Cahill of Tipperary has expressed concerns about the throwing out of homeless families onto the streets of Cashel to house International Protection Applicants i.e. Non Ukranians.

“I have serious concerns that vital homeless services, which Tipperary County Council have been availing of for many years now, could be lost to accommodate International Protection Applicants. It is not right that one group of vulnerable people in our society would lose out on existing services in favour of another group.”

Now some might say it's easy for him to say so now, once the scale of local opposition has stopped that for now. But with Paul Kehoe's statement above in bold and Jackie Cahill and Senator Garret Ahearn also agreeing with him. It's showing that there is definite public anger out there about the entire situation. No doubt there will be the plenty of shrill calls and name calling by the usual suspects.

For all those who stated that it didn’t matter about the money and resources used in housing these, well this example shows the lie in that. No amount of attempted obfuscation about separate budgets can hide the fact that this is a zero sum game. 

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

In the simples terms yes you are correct. Don't get me wrong I am very right wing conservative but don't find it fair that asylum seekers get blamed for poor behaviour of documented foreigners. Overpopulating a small town with very little work and accommodation opportunities is a huge issues but is orchestrated way above middle class influences. I really really would like to know what is the governments end goal on how many more people will take still take in and what is the long term picture.

Its amazing how fast they can change there tune whenever public opinion changes.

And there’s massive massive issues with housing in Tipperary, and i don’t think it’s even the tip of the iceberg yet. When locals who can’t find accommodation or people who are homeless see non natives getting accommodation the only outcome will be conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Now it's looking like the imposition of 950 new arrivals into Annamoe has been halted, according to Senator Pat Casey. Is the worm finally turning?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes,

This issue, up to now, has been driven by ideology.

The government is now seeing the runaway train heading for the buffers and the panic is starting.

I hope so, enough is enough.

but the damage is done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

This is the problem for those in power that encircle themselves with yes men and those who know how to manipulate idiots for monetary gain. It has taken a very long time for the general publics view to reach the top. An election on the way sharpens the mind.

Advertisement