Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

And it wouldn't be perhaps because there is a regulatory obligation on them to allow private customers to sign up even if their primary interest is in business/commercial customers? Just a notion that crossed my mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,064 ✭✭✭✭zell12

That is totally unfair. WP are to be applauded for providing an alternative tracker tariff. WP were widely advertised in the media April-June as having the lowest prices, suspect a flood of new applications materialised. Community Power had the same issue during the summer. The CRU acknowledge that smaller providers don't have the ability to handle a large volume of new customers, the only option then is a pause

• Registered Users Posts: 33 digestive biscuits

Are any companies doing monthly bills without activating a smart metre? I'd like to go from bi monthly to monthly for gas and electricity and all I can find is electricity monthly on a smart plan. I don't want to move to a smart plan. I want to stay on my 24 hour rate even though I have a smart metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

How heavy is the tin foil hat?

I think they're just a small company with a very interesting model.

With FloGas, I submit my readings at the end of every month. This generates a bill automatically i.e. I effectively have monthly bills. I also know what price it will be before submitting the reading using a Google Sheet.

• Advertisement

By submitting your gas and electricity readings at the end of each month you get a bill for both? So you pay monthly? I am currently with Bord Gais for duel fuel and they told me over the phone that they only accept one metre read every two months because they don't want the system clogged...I rent a room and it's a nightmare trying to figure out who owes what if they move in mid bill cycle or leave before the next one, hence my desire for monthly bills. I suppose I could use a google sheet to calculate it monthly, never though of that. Is there a template? (spreadsheets aren't my thing)

Just keeping an open mind. It's otherwise been a case of them kicking the can down the road with continually missed deadlines, on the basis that some customers who previously signed up decide to leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Your getting very official with these " missed deadlines ". Remember your in the country now . So far WP have suited those of us that joined up . They are a smaller supplier, you even get to talk to the owner if he's on the phones.

Yeah, that's exactly it. FloGas are happy to accept a reading every month.

If you drop me your email in a PM, I'll send you a copy of my Google Sheet.

You could be right, I just don't think so.

I don't think they're "deadlines", they are dates where they may reopen applicants. They have no missed anything imo.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I just checked and the date given is actually that on which they will issue an update. [ I'd put money though at this stage on the update simply being the date getting changed to 31st December :) ]

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There's no obligation, to do domestic customers. Go power for example is non domestic only.

I'm just off the phone with Yuno. I was clear that if I got the smart metre they require installed that I didn't want to go on a plan with them which meant the smart metre was 'activated' - meaning I could never revert to a non smart plan. I was assured that this would not be the case. Seems contrary to a lot of information floating around about Yuno. I don't know what to believe.

Currently with Bord Gais - they emailed me an offer of 15% discount for duel fuel to stay with them. Phoned them up and was offered 20% discount before I even asked for a better deal. They also answered the phone quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why do people not want to move to a smart meter plan? The smart meter was installed for each house in my area a couple of weeks ago. Had no choice. The installers just gave a date and said it would be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,064 ✭✭✭✭zell12

you are then stuck with a smart plan permanently. Smart plans are not the cheapest tariffs available

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

% discounts mean very little, you need to compare the price per unit and standing charge etc

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I wouldn’t trust what anyone says on the phone when it comes to smart plans.

The Yuno T&Cs for their variable and fixed plans on their website say you will be put on a smart plan and will not be able to avail of non-smart tariffs in the future. It will be too late once they change your meter type to a smart plan, so the cooling off period will be of little use to you if it goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Different use cases would be one reason, here is mine:

I have a plug in Hybrid car that could be charged and I have a smart meter but I'm not on a smart meter plan and will not be. You'd think I would be the target audience but as I work from home I use more electricity during the day so with various rates during the 24 hour period then it wouldn't make sense for me to use more power during the day at a higher price and and charge the car overnight(only takes 2 hours from 0% anyway) because overall I'd actually increase my bills.

Also as I work from home I can claim back a percentage through Revenue on Elec/Gas and Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone who signed up to the BWG plan having problems with Flogas billing? My meter was read Oct 15th and I should have had a bill 4 or 5 days later. Still havent received it and have been on to customer service three times now. Last call was the same as the first two- 'it will be with you in 2-3 business days' and then I check the online portal 3 days later and it isnt there. Very frustrating, I just want to give them my money but they wont produce a bill for the last two weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

I was also under the impression that all Yunos plans necessitated the activation of the smart meter.

My parents have a smart metre but they are on the same plan they were on before the smart metre was installed - so it's possible to have a smart metre and not be on one of those smart tariff plans from which there is no going back. For this reason, isn't it possible that Yuno is the same, i.e., just taking the readings from the smart metre but acting in every other way like the old bog standard metre and plan?

But yes, I'd want an email confirming that before switching, rather than trusting what I was told on the phone.

You're right, and I did compare the unit prices and standing charges -- still less over the phone than what I was offered per email and in my online account.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

An activated smart meter, is a smart plan.

Smart plan does not mean day/night/peak, it's just that your on an activated smart meter.

The previous "deal" from flogas was only available on mcc01(24hr) and mcc02(Day/night) meters and the offer for the smart meter (mcc16)was worse.

Will we see that again, who knows!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I rang them yesterday having switched to BWG plan in late August and not received any bill. Agent said she would contact billing department. I received a bill this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

But what you're describing here is what happens with hedging or purchasing MWh in advance. The point of their tracker model is precisely that they're not taking that approach.

I'm not describing hedging. They have to purchase energy from somewhere, they likely only have a contract for a set amount. They won't exceed that so cannot take on new customers is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Sinbad311

Hi folks,

Contract expired with Energia last week, they had notified me about the 10% discount, has anybody called them and got a better deal? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I’d be careful how Yuno uses the term ‘standard’ plan in conjunction with an activated meter. They are likely just referring to a smart 24 hour plan. As mentioned above, an activated smart meter requires a smart tariff.

A smart tariff might be good value (to date they haven’t been) but it will restrict choice in the future. Hopefully this will become less of an issue in the future. Speaking for myself, we have a smart meter but have stayed on non-smart tariffs as they were better value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Anyone else had a call from BG retention team? Didn't had a chance to answer it and my contract will finish on 17th of November. WWW offer for me is 15% off.

Advertisement