Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

They will have to CPO many houses for 4 tracks, from an admin point of view that's going to be difficult. 3 tracks could be possible with minimum "Admin" disruption.

"Technically" 3 tracks will be more disruptive as it means moving the 2 existing tracks over a bit to make way for a third. (as opposed to just plonking track 3 and 4 either side). You also need to move all the poles and hang new OHW.

Bridges will also be a huge issue, will need a complete rebuild. Raheny and Baldoyle bridges will be the biggest issue as they are hump bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I’ll remind everyone that Iarnród Éireann have received EU funding to instigate a study that will examine the feasibility of additional tracks along the Northern Line - I think that will tell us precisely what can and cannot be done, and what CPO activity would be required. Anything else is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

Where's the hump-backed bridge at Baldoyle? There was one over 20 years ago on the road between Baldoyle and Donaghmede and that's the only one I ever remember in the past.

Grange Road.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hgcoh5mDgS2qtFk58

It's not very severe. It could be made steeper, but given the amount of HGV traffic coming out of the industrial estate heading towards m50/m1 it's probably not a very good idea.

• Advertisement

The funding has only just been awarded so I would imagine it won’t be completed until 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have always thought so too. At the tunnel opening is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Heuston West station is already in the plans and work is ongoing in planning for Cabra, the time penalty for more stops is painful

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I don't agree with this plan at all. Are you suggesting:

Cork service - Heuston, Portlaoise, then onto Cork

Galway service - Heuston, Portarlington, then onto Galway

Waterford service - Heuston, Kildare, then onto Waterford

This would, in my opinion, be very confusing and inefficient. Someone changing from the Waterford intercity to the Cork or Galway intercity would need to change train twice. Passengers from any intercity train would need to change twice just to get on the Dart network - probably need to change up to twice more to get to their final destination.

It would make far more sense for all intercity trains to stop at Hazelhatch (for example). That would allow the Dart network to make direct interchange with all intercity trains (inbound and outbound), as well as connecting with the commuter network.

Intercity trains have assigned seats - regular ticket inspectors could ensure people are not using the service as an express Dart without paying for it. That's what other European cities do.

The same logic would apply to the Belfast intercity. A dedicated stop at Rusk&Lusk which would allow Dart interchange, as well as a future extension to Metrolink.

Which opening?

The northern tunnel portal leads from and into curves that are too severe to meet accessibility requirements for new stations. You could not fit an eight-car platform into the straight section there.

Heuston West will be the far side of the river to the southern portal.

• Advertisement

The Dublin Zoo / Phoenix Park stop is a nice idea but unfortunately I don't think it would happen. PPT is already viewed as a poor replacement for Dart Underground. Adding another stop would reduce its performance further.

If in future, a DU tunnel is built, then if should be seriously considered. I believe there is a straight section for platforms between the northern tunnel exit and its first curve under the park (under the roundabout), but would require buildings in the Garda quarters to be knocked.

It should be technically feasible, no? The buildings on the northern end are old warehouses / offices and car parks. There is one older red brick building alright. As already mentioned, I don't think it makes sense right now, but I believe it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Exactly, if this is to be the primary route from commuters from Kildare/Newbridge the journey time is already borderline

If the DU tunnel is built then it becomes a local Dublin service linking Heuston and Glasnevin (for Metro) and onwards to Docklands which might not appear significant but would likely generate a fair amount of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

I think you may be thinking of the old hump-backed bridge (Furnace's Bridge) that was demolished in the early 2000's and replaced with a flat/box bridge..

Old Bridge:

New Bridge:

Whilst the new bridge looks like it may not be wide enough for 4 tracks, I would imagine that 3 would be possible, going on the photo above alone. Someone else here may have more information. It may have been built with 4 tracking in mind though.

4 tracking from Connolly to Howth Junction and then 3 tracking from there to Malahide would surely be a reasonable compromise. The 3rd line could be a bi-directional fast line if 4 tracking would not be possible?

Just to make the point that there certainly isn’t a need for four tracking the whole way, and around Kilbarrack would have to remain two track due to the proximity of the buildings to the railway, but the key is being able to run a 10-minute DART and for express services to be able to overtake a DART at line speed between Connolly and Raheny and again further north.

I would disagree. There is large amount of residential construction work going on, on the north side of the city and the bulk of it (as far as I can see) is following the train line. It makes sense to future proof it now are at a lower cost than the have to CPO a heap of buildings later.

Its only a matter of time until all the fields between Clongriffin and Malahide are full of houses and apartments.

Even now in Donabate there's a crazy amount of building work going on. The R126 has gaps in the road the whole way around the town to housing estates that are yet to be built

These:

They should 4 track (If they can) for as far north as they can.

I was really referring specifically to the section at Kilbarrack where there are buildings close to the track. I just don’t see that particular section changing as it would be prohibitively expensive.

Extra capacity is needed between Clontarf Road and Raheny which would be sufficient to overtake a DART and then for sure north of Howth Junction capacity can be added as much as possible.

Aye

Kilbarrack is one of the many issues. (I live close enough to it). I think 4 or 3 tracking will end up be Kilbarrack station being demolished as there is literally no space there. People would need to use Howth Junction or Raheny.... politically unsavory I'd imagine.

That being said, there is a lot of dumping and anti-social behavior that goes on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not a hope of Kilbarrack being demolished and not replaced.

For far too many people, the alternative stations would be just too far.

Worst case scenario for people who live right beside it: 15 min walk to either Raheny or Howth Junction

The further away you go the less of an increase of a walk you have about 8 to 10 mins

• Advertisement

That's not really accurate. It's 20-25minutes walk to Raheny, but only 10-15minutes to Howth Junction. However there is no straight line path between the stations, you have to do long detours around estates.

And people living North-West or South-East of Kilbarrack would lose out more. A station which used to be 10mimutes walk would become 20-30minutes. Won't happen.

I really don’t think that will happen.

As I said, with a 10 minute DART, you need to be able to have one train overtake another before Howth Junction and multiple tracks between Clontarf Road and Raheny would deliver that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

to get the four tracks, some of the houses that back out on to line would need to go, and that would also give them any extra space needed for the station

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If you think the station will be demolished (and not replaced) along with local houses, others will lose their back gardens, you’ll be sorely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭prunudo

We need stronger cpo laws where it comes to infrastructure of national importance. If there are houses in the way of 4 tracking, they should be demolished. As a nation we need to stop pandering to the moaning minority. Maybe it will make them think before they move beside existing infrastructure and think they're untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭specialbyte

I really would never expect NTA/IR to ever 4 track the existing line between Killester and Clongriffin. The 3rd and 4th tracks are for inter-city, long distance commuter trains, right? Trains that we don't want stopping at DART stations like Killester, Raheny, Howth junction etc. So why would we ever demolish people's houses to put a 3rd /4th track along the existing alignment. Not to talk to the disruption it would cause to DART, Commutter and Inter-city trains during construction.

We need a 3rd/4th track. There's no benefit to it being alongside the existing railway line. So why not create a new alignment? A more much likely outcome would be to tunnel the inter-city train service from Clontarf Golf Course to north of Dublin at Belcamp. The railway review review recommended that a new alignment be delivered between Connolly and Drogheda anyway, likely following the M1 motorway.

Maybe something like this:

You'll piss off way less people, reduce disruption to the existing railway and provide a better more direct service. It could actually happen. Wholesale demolition along the northern line isn't happening. Either politically or for cost reasons. Building out hundreds of houses isn't likely to be cheap either politically or ecomonically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Surely this happens already: most Cork Intercitys are non-stop Portlaoise-Heuston

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The CPO process is fine, to be honest, the main thing that's lacking is political will. Look around the country and you can see that road projects can CPO houses and land without issue, and businesses like intel can CPO land off a farmer that'd fight and fight without issue (yes, despite the seemingly long running saga on this, it did go off easily enough in the end, as the issue beforehand was that they didn't actually have a project in mind, and tried to CPO the land with no firm commitment to actually doing anything with it).

There is promise on the rail side though, as Metrolink has gone to railway order with significant CPOs, like the 80 or so apartments and townhouses at Tara St, or the pub out in Glasnevin. Maybe, just maybe, when any four track project comes around, it'll be another case of doing what is necessary and obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yeah, I suppose with the road network they are usually one off rural houses and don't get the same media traction. As you say though its the political will that is often the problem. Looking at google earth, some of the units near Kilbarrack look relatively new. It beggars belief why the authorities aren't more proactive in creating sterile zones alongside infrastructure such as roads or railways to allow further expansion.

• Advertisement

Yeah this is what happens currently, but I'm suggesting there should be a stop on the outer network of the city. You shouldn't have to spend 20minutes commuting from Hazelhatch into Heuston only to be brought back out past Hazelhatch. Or come all the way from Cork into the heart of Dublin, only to get a train back out along the same line.

Many European cities use this logic. Trains from Milan Central to Rome stop at Milan Rogoredo, which has trains from all directions feeding into it, as well as bus routes and a Metro line. Berlin has the same with Südkreuz.

Advertisement