Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer (Dublin) in the Civil Service 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My OOM was 323!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AlpineAdventurer

Hi All,

If you're top of a panel in your chosen location (OOM 1) and you've been asked for eligibility (education) and location preferences within your county, does that mean you're basically guaranteed an offer? It sounds like it but ...

In one of the emails it said "before we can begin pre employment checks we need to check your eligibility for this competition" - fyi this (eligibility and location preferences) all happened within a couple of days of the interview results being released (last ten days)

The required information (location and education) was then emailed to clearance mailbox and receipt was confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DeargDue

you’re good to go I would say. That’s all that was asked of me (I didn’t need Garda clearance; already in CS). I only heard back today about where (as in building) I’ll be going. They’re getting through people pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AlpineAdventurer

Yeah I'm not in the CS so I guess I'm just trying to figure out do I keep looking for a other job or can I now bank on this coming through? Maybe I'll email clearance and ask them when do they expect to start the pre clearance checks? What ya think? Thanks in advance

If it’s just Garda clearance youre waiting on I would assume as long as you pass that you’ll be assigned a role. As to start date etc i couldn’t give you a definitive time line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 goldenbloke1976

Okay, now I’m even more confused. I see you have said your OOM was 103, yet you’ve been placed already? My OOM was much lower than yours and I haven’t heard back yet… thought I had some understanding on how it works but now I’m truly confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boooooo

OOM 60s after interview, got placed in dept of transport today.

anyone know what their blended working is like 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Yep batch 2, 103, placed. I’m open stream but already in the civil service so no garda getting required so that could be why

• Registered Users Posts: 14 goldenbloke1976

• Advertisement

Oh weird! It’s a bit of mystery as to how they operate tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Liverzeb

Got notice today that vetting was complete so assuming references are next stage. Roughly from vetting to actual start date would anyone know how long? Typically my current employer have offered me a new job so now will have a big choice to make but if it is going to be a number of weeks before an actual start date I may get a chance to start new role and be in a better position to choose when I have to.

Before I was hoping for a start before Xmas but now would be hoping for january to give me some time in new role before having to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 molly1523

I think they are either 2/3 days in the office per week but not sure on the specific arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Madrapower67

I was OOM 341 had the interview today felt it didn't go well, been told that people thought they didn't do well but passed did anyone else find this happened to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 molly1523

I applied and was successful in the 2022 EO competition but the job that I got was not suited to me so I subsequently left. I have my interview this week for the current dublin only panel.

in the last competition I heard I was successful on the 5th of May and got told my department on the 24th of May. This was through the interdepartmental stream. Once my line manager returned the reference check that they received from PAS. It was the following day when I heard what department I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ThePenultimateWarrior

I had my interview last month, and also felt it didn't go well. I had so many examples prepared for the competencies, but every time I started to give an example, I would get interrupted, and it really threw me.

I felt like a lot of the time they were just looking for me to say a keyword before they moved on. So a lot of it felt like they were trying to guide me to say a particular thing. But I was never sure if they were moving on to the next question because I'd given them the answer they were looking for, or if they were moving on because they thought they weren't gonna get the answer they were looking for.

So I felt like I was on the back foot the whole way through the interview. When it was over, I honestly had no idea if I'd done well, or if I had tanked it spectacularly. All of the preparation I'd put in for the competencies was thrown out the window, and I was basically just ad libbing as I went.

If I had failed I wouldn't have been surprised, as I felt it didn't go as I'd expected. And if I passed, I figured I'd probably only just scrape by. But when I got my results, I was bumped up the OOM by 170 places. So I must've done something right.

As long as you put in the preparation beforehand, I'd say you probably did better than you think you did. You should probably get your results next week. So try not to worry too much. I thought it went terribly, and it ended up going way better than I'd expected. The constant interruptions made me feel I was doing horribly. But so long as you had answers to the competencies, you ought to be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EoghanMc

I'm in there now, half and half

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭elfie123

Got placed in the department of education. Anybody have any insight into what this department is like is there WFH etc ? 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭EduKate

This thread contains a survey on Blended work policies in the civil service based on responses by Boards.ie posters

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120883029/#Comment_120883029

Some people in the Dept of Education wfh 3 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ReillyMcGee

Had my interview today and was originally 371 in OOM after the competency tests. It was harder than any interview I had to do and felt the questions were being flown at me thick and fast.

The email for the interview said I was batch 2 but I seen in a earlier post that batch 2 was already finished?

I'm just wondering how long to expect to wait to see how the interview went as I'm now even confused to what batch I'm.

Sorry I'm new to this whole civil service process so it's like Latin to me at this stage haha 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 justgoose

Thanks for your reply! I emailed them yesterday asking basically what was taking so long, they confirmed they hadn't herd from my reference so I went and prompted my HR, got the reference to them this morning and have just been notified of my assignment this afternoon! So an incredibly helpful response there from you, thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pip1414

Just wondering how long on average it took for people's Garda Vetting to come through? The website says about 5 days but was wondering if this is accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Yup, not far off it: 6 business days for me. For context: I'm in my 40s, lived in Ireland all my adult life, did a fair bit of bedsit hopping in my 20s, so I had a lot of short-lived addresses from the 1990s-2000s.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PotatoMaster

Just curious for peoples opinions, I recently started as CO about two weeks ago and I’m loving it so far my office is so nice and manager is very chill but from what I see I should be in the next batch to be called for EO interviews. Now all depending if I even passed the interview, I’m new to the civil service so I’m not sure if I should just take the jump to EO so quickly or stick around and build some experience in the civil service as a CO before trying to move up. I have management experience in retail which is why I applied originally but no office experience before becoming a CO. would I be dumb to stay as CO if i managed to pass the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DivineBovine

It depends. I've been a CO for 2 years now in the DFA, during the busiest period in 100 years. Definitely felt like I learned loads as a CO but if I moved up to EO (I'm 490 OOM general and 180 OOM interdepartmental) I'd still have a lot to learn. I'd just have a lot of familiarity with CO work to understand managing a team.

I think if you're confident in people management and calmly balancing needs of the team and needs of the individual, you'd be silly not go for EO.

Hell, as EO in the Civil Service you often don't have a team, you'd have all your usual orientation and on-boarding stepping into the role. Just make sure to mind your P's & Q's as EO, you have to be more careful what you say and how you say it but otherwise go for it if you pass the interview!! It's not a huge difference in workload but just additional responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DivineBovine

4 Days for me when I joined 2 years ago but depending on which department it can take longer, anything with the Guards and some Social Protection can be much more thorough and they check family records etc or so I've heard from friends who work in Garda Stations. Sometimes it can be 10 days just due to volume or if someone is out of office.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This is entirely a decision only you can make

EO's in each department are very different - you won't know what your job entails until you start - could be like retail but likely very different.

As above you could be managing a team of 5/6 people or you may be totally working on your own.

My plan was to do a year to two in the CS to see if I even liked it after being in the private sector for all my life - as soon as an EO comp opened I went for it knowing you could be doing the same-ish job but for a lot more money

You could end up in a department and love it or absolutely hate it - it's all a chance - if you hate it and can stick it out for 2 years you can apply for mobility or go for a new comp. You can also go back to your old role if you don't like it (not sure on the criteria for that to be allowed)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orla201

Hi Elfie, I got offered Dept of Education yesterday. Really duno what to do. I'm currently working as a TCO in DFA and was really hoping to stay there as it's local to me (10min drive) I commuted in my previous job for 7 years and am soooooooo done with it!

Where you told it was a 2 day in the office 3 day from home position?

Hey I'm the same! I'm working as a TCO since May 23 and applied for EO in August 23 and I just got my assignment as an EO less than 6 months as a TCO! I was the exact same as yourself not sure whether to apply or if it would be taking on too much too soon etc

I've been assigned the Department of Education so still trying to decide whether to take it or not as I'm really enjoying my TCO work and the location is perfect for me locally with 2 young kids etc

• Advertisement

Hey sorry to hop on, what do you mean when you say 'apply for mobility?'

Do you mean if you stay for two years in the EO position you can then look for a department transfer?

Advertisement