Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That situation you're talking about was a very very long time ago, and Ireland has changed an awful lot in the ~18 years since then... who knows, maybe you're right, but it feels to me like modern Ireland has kinda left behind the sectarian sentiment that was the biggest draw to Celtic from neutrals. I think part of that sentiment might still be there in the over-40s, but I'm not sure anyone younger that isn't already a Celtic fan feels this inherent national connection you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That photo of the lad in the Celtic tracksuit with the "No to foreign games" sign brilliantly summed up a lot of Celtic fans from my generation (born in the 80s, grew up in the 90s/the Troubles when being Irish AND Catholic was very important).

Sure, it's a joke but it showed up people who wanted to display their Irishness by following a successful team in the world's biggest sport ('cause supporting the LOI or GAA wouldn't get them the required attention) and at the same being able to establish their anti-British/Nationalist credentials.

Celtic fans from all backgrounds tend to have a 'us vs. them' attitude. That's fine when they're representing a minority community in Scotland and the UK while up North its a whole other mess but that attitude makes no sense in the Republic.

For a time, I was a Celtic fan myself. I grew out of it once I ditched religion as the sectarian nature of the Old Firm and the Irish identity associated with Celtic no longer appealed to me. The Republic has moved on and, as Rebel mentioned, the mentality that drew people to Celtic is not as prevalent.

So you can be guaranteed that 'everyone' will not be getting behind Celtic because there are plenty of Irish people who don't agree with what they represent. There are genuine Celtic fans, I don't doubt it, but the whole Old Firm rivalry still harks back to sectarianism and that's not something everyone wants to continue supporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I love that tracksuit lad. Perfect embodiment of the stupidity of the Croke Park ban in the 21st century. His kindred spirits used to be in pubs all over the country in their Celtic jerseys reading the "Irish Sun".

Nothing looking too exciting tonight, certainly nothing to match the game in Milan last night. Always a chance United can provide us with a few laughs I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think you are tarnishing Celtic with that statement. While Rangers had a policy of not hiring Catholics , Celtics policy was to hire local glaswegians irrespective of religion . Do you not remember the outrage , from Rangers fans , when Mo Jonston was signed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Very disappointing start by Copenhagen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Does Brian Kerr ever draw breath? Someone needs to tell him that sometimes less is more.

Some pitch invader with a flag has temporarily halted the Copenhagen game. Couldn't see what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I heard it was a guy in a Sligo jersey and the flag had "Boo Man U" on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Saka fouled three times in 17 minutes, no card.

Oh four times now, no card.

• Advertisement

Another big hold up in the match.

Sky Sports News reporter Vinny O'Connor at the Telia Parken:

"Lots of noise on the far side of the ground seeking help for what looks to be a medical emergency in the crowd. Medics are now over there and play has stopped.

"Stewards are holding up a screen while medical attention is given. This is the ground where Christian Eriksen collapsed while playing for Denmark in their Euro 2020 opener."

The game is back under way. Should be plenty of added time.

Awful again from Copenhagen. All this stop starting couldn't have helped. Hojlund with another tap in that couldn't be missed. Copenhagen are a mess, nearly conceded a 3rd almost straight after. This isn't the team that turned up in the first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That's an awful challenge from Rashford. It should be a red card. VAR should be on this.

And rightly so Rashford has been sent off. That was a potential leg breaker. He can have no complaint.

• Advertisement

Lovely. Copenhagen have a goal. Could have happened earlier when Fernandes almost headed in an own goal.

And 13 minutes of added time for all those stoppages.

Copenhagen have a penalty now. Let's hope they do better with this one than the one they missed at Old Trafford. Harry Maguire the culprit for handball.

No mistake this time. Copenhagen are level. 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Just tuned in

ManU making a bollocks of it are they ?

2up to 10men and 2-2. WtF ?

Where'd all the added time come from ?

A million and one stoppages. VAR checks, Evans injury, medical emergency in the crowd, protester on the field. United wasting time, particularly Onana.

Jaysus....all happening

Looked a definite red card. What an idiot.

Can't complain about that peno either

• Advertisement

Just standard banter era Manchester United stuff.

That's nonsense from the ref. Giving Onana a warning for wasting time, but no yellow card. He's been at it since United conceded their first goal.

Never realised Brahim Diaz was only on loan at Milan all the time he was there - 3 years!

This shouldn't be a penalty. Both Varane and Maguire were fouling the Copenhagen players.

yeah, one of those lads who could look good in highlights, but very frustrating in full matches. Only googled him cause I was wondering why the bejesus Madrid were buying him - which is when i learned he was theirs all along. I'm guessing they've just taken him back and extended his contract to sell him off again next summer. I suppose he adds a bit of squad depth for the year while they're waiting for Mbappe next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I thought it hit Maguire's hand first,I don't know....

Farcical decision to give that penalty. I think it might have even hit Maguire's hand first.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Thats a soft pen, hes a yard from maguire after jumping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What is the handball rule? looks a terrible decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

If the penalty is given in the first half, that one had to be given 100%.

Neither were IMO but they have to be consistent.

Cancelled each other out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

So harsh that pen

Oof, looked a fairly fortuitous pen over in Copenhagen. Having said that, I've literally no idea what is/isn't handball anymore so it's hard to be surprised by any decision.

If Bayern pick up a win, it blows 2nd spot in that group wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

You didn't seem to mind the first peno

Funny that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So much wrong,if someone pulls your left arm when jumping your right will go up

Just seen the pen for ManU. Very, very generous. I assume VAR gave that as opposed to the ref ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The ref gave it after VAR asked him to have another look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

What's the difference between the Maguire handball and the Copenhagen handball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Copenhagen have been poor with the extra man in this half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Delete

Why would I? There were 2 handballs for the first penalty. The Copenhagen players didn't foul Man United players.

Maguire and Varane fouled the Copenhagen players. It looks like it might have come off Maguire's hand first as well. And it was closer proximity too, the Copenhagen player couldn't do anything to avoid the handball.

Some clowns

Turn back to the telly and now they're down after taking the lead

Ooh what a missed chance for Copenhagen. But it doesn't matter, they've got the lead on the next chance. Fully deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

4-3 !

HA

What a silly game

• Advertisement

Can't be giving up 2 zip leads away from home, but somehow Ten Hag can find a way.

Well done Copenhagen. The minnows have beaten Man United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 4 Results

Group A

FC Bayern München (GER) 2 V 1 Galatasaray A.Ş. (TUR)

FC Copenhagen (DEN) 4 V 3 Manchester United FC (ENG)

Group B

Arsenal FC (ENG) 2 V 0 Sevilla FC (ESP)

PSV Eindhoven (NED) 1 V 0 RC Lens (FRA)

Group C

Real Madrid CF (ESP) 3 V 0 SC Braga (POR)

SSC Napoli (ITA) 1 V 1 1. FC Union Berlin (GER)

Group D

FC Salzburg (AUT) 0 V 1 FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)

Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP) 3 V 1 SL Benfica (POR)

Group E

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 6 V 0 Celtic FC (SCO)

S.S. Lazio (ITA) 1 V 0 Feyenoord (NED)

Group F

AC Milan (ITA) 2 V 1 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Borussia Dortmund (GER) 2 V 0 Newcastle United (ENG)

Group G

FK Crvena zvezda (SRB) 1 V 2 RB Leipzig (GER)

Manchester City FC (ENG) 3 V 0 BSC Young Boys (SUI)

Group H

FC Porto (POR) 2 V 0 Royal Antwerp FC (BEL)

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 1 V 0 FC Barcelona (ESP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Big result for Sligo tonight, and I guess Copenhagen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pretty poor stuff from United yet they can still qualify given how tight the group is. Newcastle in a similar situation though you'd have expected that from them. The away game in Istanbul will be some atmosphere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement