Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing Electricity Costs

• 09-11-2023 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

How does one reduce reduce electricity costs based on the attached screensots?

2 Bed Apartment. Everything is electric.

Immersion is switched on for 1hr between 5am-6am.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭wandererz

Immersion tank is about 20 years old.

Water pump is a Stuart Turner Monsoon pump - i am basing the stats on pdf figures and hours on a finger in the air until i get a sensor that can give me accurate figures.

Other electrical items are based on figures from smart plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Not sure what an E Water Pump is Power shower or a pump on a gas heating system ? Thinking no gas .

Lighting are you using Halogen when they use hot and bright or using leds which are much cheaper.

My kitchen has 12 bulbs and 3 are leds and for my meals i have an adjustable strip on an arm for when i am eating.

Draught proofing needed ? What type of heater as unsure what is is.

"e" before the name means that it is electric.

No gas available.

LED's in use throughout.

12 LED's in kitchen @ 5 watts each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

Sorry no help, just curious as to how you are getting such a detailed breakdown, is it a shelly meter for each fuse at the fusebox?

Thanks for the query.

I purchased Tapo smart plugs with energy monitoring (anything from the TP 110 and above will do).

I also had Meross 300 series smart plugs and i found that after an update they now do energy monitoring as well.

I looked at my billing from Flogas to get my costs.

For other devices i calculated via https://www.energybot.com/

One can link every smart device to Home Assistant to get almost realtime and consolidated pricing for the home.

... But i cannot find the Raspberry Pi i have floating out somewhere, so i just went the manual spreadsheat route.

I looked at the Shelly but it is quite expensive.

For the immersion & water pump, i have used generic figures based on load and AMPS/Volts. I have ordered a clamp meter via Ali Express to measure those loads.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

• Advertisement

That spreadsheet is just done in Google sheets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

If heating and air conditioning are the higher electric costs, I would look into programming your thermostats to the lowest possible settings in the daytime, if you are not working there. A reasonable 18C at night or less if you are comfort is advisable.

I have 5 different heat sources in my old house in Canada, and I have to deal with this problem because it is a big house and cannot be insulated in a modern fashion. You can stop drafts, but that is the best you can do in that situation. But juggling with temperatures according to your absence/presence cycles is a start.

I have electric underfloor heating which delivers radiant warmth.

For this winter we have decided to switch off all under floor heating and to go with a single intelligent heater that we can control.

It is set to 18C and only switched on in the evening when we are in the lounge.

I can also measure this better than the underfloor heating.

Advertisement