Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Started a beef stew yesterday evening and slowly cooked it over a few hours. Today it was bursting with flavour and we devoured it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

With the new baby we've taken to a one tray dinner several nights a week. Tonight we had spuds, carrots, celery, onions and peppers with lots of garlic, Maldon salt, thyme and olive oil, and a crackling joint of pork, with gravy (from a packet - Erin Rich) and apple sauce (from a jar - Colmans). We need our shortcuts at the moment.

I cooked the pork in stock and some apple juice for an hour in the pressure cooker this morning.

Then this evening I rubbed the fat with salt, put the joint on top of the veg and roasted everything for an hour. Tender and delicious and very little effort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Chinese takeaway.

Duck with black bean and noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Yesterday, mash, sprouts and 2 fried eggs. Sprouts were so sweet.

Today, chicken korma, rice and flatbreads.

Have committed to cooking every evening this week after work, instead of reaching for JustEat. We'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Second half of last weeks pork belly ribs

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TBH I find the head / tail of a fish to be pretty off-putting. It's not as if you look at the head and think that looks delicious. Even if places don't want to de-bone and fillet, why not at least whack the head and tail off?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While I prefer my fish fillited with no bones, my wife and many others, love picking the meat from the head. Many love a crispy tail too.

Fish head soup/stew/curry is really popular across Asia.

Yea I definitely couldn't eat fish head stew. I'm pretty adventurous, but wouldn't be able to cope with that at all.

Took the leftovers from yesterday's roast pork, shredded them and panfried with lots of hot spices and a drizzle of honey until crispy and sticky. Served it in tacos with avocado, salsa, sour cream and jalapenos.

Smoked ham, mash, sprouts and cabbage. Forgot to buy parsley so no sauce. But loads of leftovers, so more than likely it'll be the same dinner tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

It's been a while since I posted a dinner so, shop bought lasagne and deep fried chips.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A kind of peri peri chicken I guess. Whole ancho, chipotle and guajillo chilis, garlic, smoked paprika, coriander, lemon juice, olive oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

One fillet with a special black rub.

Other with salt and pepper. Cooked on weber kettle, master touch.

I cooked a really tasty one pot chicken stew yesterday with so called oyster thighs (part boned thighs).

I browned 5 thighs on both sides for a few minutes. Take them out to a plate and add a chopped large onion and a few cloves of garlic. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes. Add a chopped stick of celery and a few chopped carrots, continue to stir and cook for a minute or two. Add about 4 chopped, fresh tomatoes and a finely sliced potato, a bay leaf and a good sprig of fresh thyme. Put chicken back in and add stock to just cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes, then add potatoes to the top. When the ptatoes are done, you're good to go. Serve with chopped, fresh parsley.

Real comfort food. It's a brothy, unthickened stew This could take some spices if you like and I think lentils or barley would be nice too.

It's really quick and easy.

Sounds like a variation on chicken and barley broth. Putting big chunks of potato in is something I really like, particularly soapy spuds as they will hold their shape better when submerged in broth than floury will.

Ye can buy soup mix to put in it as well.

I'd not bother with the tomato though, can't be dealing with cooked tomato of any kind.

I debated about the tomatoes but was really glad I put them in. Gave another layer to the flavours without being tomatoey! Added a bit of unami. Just chop fine enough that you don't have horrible curls of tomato skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Chicken Shish Kebab... sorry no pics, I did stop for a nano second as I was tucking into it, and while it was still looking presentable, but.... kebab.

A crap day in work had me wanting some comfort. Not too easy to find a good kebab in the West, so I have had to work on my own ones and I think I'm getting there.

Had to try a new receipe for a very simple flatbread, and it worked a treat given the lack of prep time. 200g flour mixed gradually with 320g water, few pinches of salt and sugar. Basically a pancake-like mix and cooked the same way.

Made the garlic sauce extra garlicky, plenty of heat in the chilli sauce. Those together with copious pickled green peppers and chillis successfully blew the bad day away.

Feet up now in front of the fire! Not moving for the night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ni pics but we had a lovely chile con carne last night...had leftovers in a wrap today for my lunch as well. It was a bit too hot for both of us, we're not mad for spice but it was still delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jamessmith0901

Chicken curry for dinner :)

Plumptious beauty

• Advertisement

Tell us a bit more, please.

Porchetta.

Pork belly rubbed with a mash of garlic, chilis, oregano, rosemary, lemon zest, fennel seeds and white wine. Rolled and tied up. In the fridge overnight to dry out the skin and then roasted for 2 1/2 hours ish at 160c and then 20 mins at 250c.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Dealing with a fussy 6 year old so going through a phase of trying lots of things to see what sticks. She didn't like this but we did. Sweet potato and peanut curry. For something that had no meat it was fecking delicious. I added an extra dollop of peanut butter to make it creamier and by luck bought a coconut milk I had never bought before which turned out to be really creamy and low on water (Dunnes Organic):

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/satay-sweet-potato-curry

^^ that 6 year old would want to cop herself on, that sounds delicious 🤤😅

Would love to try that, maybe with chickpeas...?

For me, I have a stuffed chicken breast from the market, to go with rice, peas and a Mayflower curry sauce.

So my commitment to cooking all week went pretty well.

Ham plus the extras 2 nights.

Chicken korma.

Fried chicken and chips.

Pasta with bacon, mushrooms and cream sauce.

I did break this evening and have pizza, but it was from my local pizza place and it's the best pizza ever.

Financially, it's a no brainer to cook at home, but it's also so much better when you know what's gone into each dish.

Hopefully the commitment will continue next week... TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Easy tea this evening. Air fryer chips made with sea salt, smoked paprika and shop bought fish in breadcrumbs with tartare sauce.

I kid.

Spinach and shiitake mushroom omelette, with new potatoes.

Lamb cutlets, mash, sprouts, carrots and stuffing.

I've started to use rapeseed oil along with butter when making my stuffing and I have to say, it's a game-changer for me.

• Advertisement

I had a long solo drive home today and I stopped for a few minutes halfway and got myself a burger king whopper meal (no tomato) with Coke. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Advertisement