Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time licence being .243 or .270 (left handed)

Options
  • 09-11-2023 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys and gals, I’m looking into getting my first time gun licence. Primarily I’m wanting to do long range shooting on gun ranges and eventually move into deer hunting a couple months to a year after gaining my license all going well.

currently I’ve got my firearm competency cert from the NARGC and have written permission from two farmers with bordering land to shoot on their property. I currently live on some of this land. The land is collectively 200acres (in Wexford), I’m also getting permission from 3 friends with land elsewhere to shoot on their properties in the next couple of days. (Laois, Offaly and west Meath)

my particular issue that I haven’t seen a conversation here about yet is that I’m left handed and need a left handed rifle, which there doesn’t seem to be any second hand or many new in stores. By the look of it I’m going to have to order in a new rifle that’s left handed in store and as such I’m hoping to get a centrefire rifle of at least .243 up to .270 since I’ll need to invest into a new gun and I’d prefer to buy and practice on rifle that I won’t need to replace shortly once I’ve got a licence to hunt deer. I assume that I wouldn’t be given a licence for a .308 because it’s too large so are there other calibers of centrefire rifles that I should be looking at that are large enough to hunt deer with?

ive shot in ranges in Europe a number of times with larger caliber guns such as a 7.62 mosin nagent though I’m sure a statement like that to my firearms officer isn’t going to be of much help with my application.

I’m also looking into getting membership in a local gun range in Kildare which allows rifles up to .308 and has a 100m range. I’ve asked do they do some extra training upon signup which I will do to assist in my application if they provide it. I don’t believe the land I’m getting permission to use has deer so my understanding is that having range membership will help my case.

thanks in advance to anyone who has some feedback and I hope that what I’ve said makes sense!

Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

There will not be much difference viewed between 243/270 and 308 as far as licencing goes, for your purpose.

For target shooting at a range you can certainly justify a 308, and given the rounds can be a smidge cheaper than 243/270 it is a good option given that you are starting out and to get better you will need to shoot an amount of ammunition, particularly if you are doing target shooting and hunting.

You can certainly mention previous firearms safety training(which you likely received on other European ranges) but a list of firearms shot is unnecessary.

The firearms officer likely only require the competency cert from the NARGC.

As far as lefty rifles go, yes, you are somewhat buggered. 😋

They are few and far between, and they tend to be higher prices on the used market because of that rarity.

I would recommend you grab a right hand action in a shop and see how it handles, if you are learning from scratch then a lot of lefties just use right handed rifles with slightly higher mounts so they can use their dominant eye and "wrong" hand, and it opens the selection of rifles possible massively.

If the land you are planning on shooting has no deer then specify that you want to licence the rifle for target shooting at your range, hunting, pest control and deer, but the deer will be pending permissions and a deer hunting course which you plan on completing after you have your rifle and gotten used to it.

I will also say, quite a few folks who start shooting with a larger caliber don't develop shooting skills as quickly/easily as those starting with a small caliber.

Not just from the ammunition cost point of view(but obviously if you can shoot a few hundred rounds vs 20 for the same cost you will get better from more rounds fired) but also from the recoil, muzzle blast, etc of a 308 vs a .22/.17/etc.

Not pushing you down that route, just an observation.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Beretta BRX1 is ambidextrous. You'll have absolutely no bother getting a .308 or .30-06 if you have a deer license. They're all unrestricted calibres, same as .243 and .270. You'd only have trouble licensing anything greater than 7.62mm or .308 inch because anything larger than that is defined as being restricted in legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

Can you hunt deer with a .338

• Registered Users Posts: 3 markoconnor123

Much appreciated there was allot of helpful information there!

By the sound of that I’ll definitely need membership in the range to justify my need for the likes of the .308 you mentioned. From what I’m reading on the NARGC website I’d need a rifle to complete their deer stalking cert as it mentions that I’d have to complete a test on a range shooting deer targets at 100m.

looked up about the price of ammo and I see what your saying about the difference between match grade ammo and then price difference between .243 .270 and .308, the .308 seems cheaper and obviously .22 much more so!

I think if I can I’ll try stick with a .308 and possibly the likes of the rifle TheEngineer1 mentioned if I can convince myself that €1600 is a good investment of money for one, which I’m sure it is!

Thanks I looked up that rifle there seems to be a couple of those in stock in shops and after reading up it seems like a great rifle. Trouble is it looks like I can’t get that deer licence without having a gun to complete the deer stalking cert with?

I could be wrong now I’m just trying to navigate the maze of info online.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

No worries at all.

A BRX1 would indeed be ideal, but it does carry a hell of a pricetag.

Perhaps look into bergaras, I know some of them come in 308 and lefty, and you might be able to find a deal on one.

For the deer course shooting portion you have to use a deer capable calibre, now you can arrange to borrow a rifle for the shoot if you don't have a deer rifle to use yet, but you will obviously be better off if you can get one beforehand and familiarise yourself with one before the test.

It is a little chicken or egg like, but you can get a licence for a deer capable rifle, even sans range membership, if you explain you are doing the deer stalking course and need to shoot it with a deer capable rifle, whether that be 243, 270 or 308.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Don't just consider a bolt action either.You can get 308 in lever, pump, and straight-pull bolt actions in 308 and 243.As a fellow Leftie, I'd look around for one of these too.Straight pull bolt actions are based on the AR platform, one of the most versatile platforms in the gun world due to its modularity.So it can be modified or built straight off with a Leftie in mind,and you can build it for a happy medium between a target rifle and hunting rifle.

Browning made a great lever action box-fed rifle if you come on one called the Browning BLR, and Henry Arms is now making one based more or less on the Browning called The Long Ranger

So you have some options.It's a great pity any further semi-autos were banned from licensing in Ireland since 2015. They sorted out anty disadvantages us Lefies had.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Would not recommend a 270 as a beginner rifle, ( I made that mistake) , it is a great round, but it has very strong recoil. I would recommend 243,308 or 6.5se as a first rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You'll likely need member ship of a range to justify all the calibres you mention. (.243 to .308). All could be licensed as dedicated deer rifles but you won't have a deer license set up when applying. The friends property may or may not justify those calibres. .243 probably a better chance than 308. But if you are interest in range shooting then its moot. A coverall application like @otmmyboy2 described is best action imo.

Personally I'd go for .243 or .308, and I'd avoid .270. Some people like it, but I many consider it a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Short answer: Yes, if you get one licensed.

Longer Answer: It's a restricted calibre, so you will need a specific reason for one. And typical deer hunting out not be one as unrestricted calibres are available. However if you any another reason for licensing the .338, and it was not limited on license to that reason, then it would be possible to hunt with that rifle. And would be particularly appropriate for longer ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Go 308, as I did. Great choice of firearms and ammo. 338 is expensive to buy and run. And only one, I think, range where you can shoot them.

Pick out ur rifle, and join a range where you can put in practice shooting you rifle. Then you can think about deer stalking and getting a proficiency course done.

And remember there is a lot more to shooting deer than just taking the shot 🤔🦌. I.E. Getting permission, transport, butching, keeping the meat, and eating it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement