Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

To what degree he was “incapacitated” on the night in question is disputed- he had beers definitely in late afternoon. I believe there’s some trace elements of a sleeping pill in his blood - the way I see it, he drank early in the evening and this contributed to his conking out asleep. Whether he took something else like a sleeping pill or was administered a sleeping pill remains unclear

However what happened that such a man - strong, much younger than Tom Marten found himself in a position that he ultimately died- that to me raises a lot of questions. My “gut” says Molly used the brick first whilst he was sleeping - Tom did the rest. Was it planned by both or orchestrated by Molly? Either or I’d say - I couldn’t call it -both are psychos in their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I did read all 3.

Much of it was already known from being published in Tracey's book(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Yes but the other poster obviously isn't ignoring the posts. If someone is annoying you or you just don't like their views. Just ignore them. It would make things so much easier. I'm not just talking about on a forum like this. Anyway, that's besides the point.

There's still a lot of things that are not certain about this whole sordid affair but I suppose the sentence today puts a full stop on it. The Martens may be out in 7 months. The kids will never get their lives back the way they were.

And still you pedalled the Martens version on this thread for two weeks, hiding behind quotes whenever other posters challenged you on what you posted -even though your posting style suggested in each case that you supported what you were posting, you conveniently retreated when it suited - there’s a word for that but I’d be banned for calling you that word - you’re not that clever Boggles and given some of the sick posts and opinions you’ve spewed here over the last 2 weeks I suggest you take a good long look at yourself .

Have you a specific post or opinion you want to discuss?

It's a fact much of what was in the statements was already public knowledge.

The sentencing Judge already ruled on the veracity of the statements.

Following submissions about whether the children had been coached or conditioned to say things that favoured Martens Corbett and or her father Tom Martens in their interviews with social workers in the days immediately after the death of their father, Judge David Hall said there were indications that proved both the accuracy of what they said, and of coaching, either direct or indirect.

But, on balance, he said that he found there was not enough time to successfully coach such young children in such a detailed presentation of facts.

He also said that, if the prosecution were alleging that the children could have been coached or influenced to make statements in the course of four or five days, then that also applied to the recantation statements that were made from the other side of the ocean months and years after the death of Mr Corbett.

He reiterated yesterday again they were irrelevant to the sentencing before they were read out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think suitors will need kids, otherwise she's not interested.

Just bring some headgear with you though and don't turn your back.

Other than that you'll be away in a hack there bogs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭chooseusername

She had 4 years, not 4 or 5 days to coerce and influence what were young children, meanwhile these children have matured into independent-thinking young adults, and while it's possible their statements yesterday were scripted, they were most likely their own.

Don't bother quoting the judge again, it's tiresome now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its a bold strategy to keep tryna double down on his ramblings AFTER the ruling, yet not surprising.

The ruling where they effectively got 7 more months?

Judge was paid off. Has to be.

No that would be their paid star experts. Which the defence pay money to. Which you think are incredibly excellent in their fields of paid experting

• Advertisement

TBH and I could be wrong. I doubt he was paid very much.

The psychiatrist that testified for the defence was pretty incompetent.

He made a fundamental error by giving an opinion on the crime scene, something he isn't qualified to do.

Also his website is like something a 10 year old would have knocked out for a class project in 1997.

The rest of the experts broadly agreed with each other though, prosecution and defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Still a huge doubt? I can't believe people fell for her lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

"She threw the picture my Dad got me of him and my Mom at their wedding down the stairs and screamed at me: 'She is dead - I am your mother, that woman is dead’.I am proud to be Jason Corbett's daughter."

#JasonCorbett

It's not a stretch to believe this person murdered Jason when she thought she'd lose control of those children forever. A secure, psychiatric ward is what she needs and to stay there permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Musicrules

To be honest, yes. The case throws up doubts. Why aren't the Martens serving far longer sentences?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's sort of plausible if she were completely mad, though such an action would run against any hope she had of guardianship.

But her father too?? That's where this idea lacks credulity. One mad person OK but two in the same family in the room and one a former policeman who would have been vetted well.

Sorry it doesn't wash.

They obviously killed him but why?

Ah yes American law enforcement. Famously and regimental sane at all levels.

Rigidly vetted.

.... ah jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Tom Martens is on record of “hating” Jason. (confession to colleague at first trial)

Tom martens has protected his daughter all his life to maintain his position in his precious utopian all American conservative ordered society - it fits perfectly, just like the perfectly maintained and manicured gardens in the upmarket estate he lives in - just take a walk on Google and see for yourself

- he had a lot to lose and Molly marrying Jason in the first place was a threat to all of that -in his eyes- it’s the simple things in life that get you - it doesn’t have to be complicated - remember he is her father - lord knows what genetics she inherited or what ordered way of life was imposed in his household - and make no mistake, it was certainly HIS household.

Because Molly flipped out when she found out he was taking them back to Ireland and she knew she had no legal way to get them back. Murders over custody battles from broken relationships happen every single year. It doesn't have to be logical. Rage and hate are enough. She is not a stable person by anyone's account. Her father did whatever he could to keep her out of jail.

• Advertisement

I'm implying he bludgeoned a downed person to death.

Solid vetting when you think about it.

Like really went at it so evidence of both weapons was inconclusive.

Then never phoned emergency services for assistance until they'd rearranged the house.

Yum yum. Sounds legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭threeball

This has to be one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in quite a while. Wealthy connected Americans bludgeon foreigner to death and get away with it. Makes a mockery of so called American justice.

A social media campaign should be launched to constantly remind people of just how dangerous these two are. It should hang over them, an inescapable cloud, driving them to the point of distraction for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Spit it out. You think he provoked her, abused her, instigated a physical fight and she and the dad fought back and obliterated him.

They were just very very lucky Jason was defenceless and incapable of inflicting any injuries whatsoever on them.

And they spent the next few years lying and lying to try get off.

two awful scumbags that some here cannot seem to even criticise.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Shameful posting. Calling everything they said yesterday lies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yep. Disgusting. Watching primetime here now and some of the details from the children’s impact statements are harrowing. I 100 percent believe them. And a poster here is calling them liars, in his own devious roundabout way.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Whilst sounds great, the family (Corbett) have asked for privacy - yep I’d love to have an annual festival where we all denigrate effigies of Tom and Molly in the most abusive manner possible.

But it would just make us- them. Tom Martens and his so precious family come from middle class America - they know what’s happened here- they might not admit it- but they know. The neighbours of Jason Corbett know too - some might admit it- some might shy away- but they too know.

And Ireland knows- and bar a few idiots here and there, (especially here) have absolutely no issue in stating that they know.

Jason Corbett and his kids and his family have the respect and support of Ireland - the trolls can go and ……

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

You know what lacks credulity?

That Tom Martens drove for five hours to unexpectedly visit and whilst her parents were staying overnight Jason Corbett decided to strangle his wife, just as she had happened to place a paving slab beside the bed and Tom had happened to bring a baseball bat as a gift. That Tom had heard a noise in the early hours so alarming that he felt he needed to bring said bat with him to investigate, while his wife was happy to go back to sleep. That Jason Corbett was struck several times with said bat while awake according to Tom but somehow he didn't cry loud enough either with pain or for help that his own children slept through the whole thing.

Boggles, I have to ask if you still stand over this (quote marks) after the past couple days. Jason an abuser, children undoubtedly truthful in 2015, and today/yesterday their statements are lies? Particularly Jack who clearly stated he lied in 2015, and that he never ever saw his father being abusive to Molly.

I’d certainly be replacing the “What the evidence paints” with “what Molly’s horrid lies paint.”

“The idea or narrative that Jason Corbett was a gentle naïve lamb would seem very alien.

What the evidence paints is someone who is not a very pleasant individual, classic coercive control traits along with undoubted bouts of anger and violence.

The emergency code words and phone number written under an ornament is an absolute red flag.

There is absolutely no doubt the children were being truthful in the interviews. 

The prosecution are absolutely drowning, I did question the plea deal, it's obvious now why it was offered.”

• Advertisement

Sorry to piggyback on your post but also that for some reason Jason decided to strangle his wife the day before going back to Ireland with his kids with his inlaws sleeping downstairs.

Advertisement