Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

You did

No empathy but had learned to fit in to society, not very well obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

You're being very disingenuous. All I and others are discussing is men who rape and murder. You trying to make it a male v female issue is very bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

I was struck that the motive reported on the news was simply to kill a woman.

The guy has five kids, he predated on an attractive woman, of course it was sexually motivated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

My post after that offers some suggestions but I don't have the answers. If we all work together it may be possible to find the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,828 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone read anywhere if Puska had a criminal record before arriving in Ireland and will we be told before he is sentenced? In my humble opinion people with criminal records should not be allowed come here.

Your desire is admirable but unlikely to ever come to fruition.

There have always been and always will be people who commit horrendous acts. As long as humans exist then so will murder, rape, kidnapping, torture, etc.

Plenty can be learned as to the drive and motivation involved but that won't prevent future occurances.

We can seek to understand why conflict happens and how best to live in peace but that won't prevent future wars.

There is no utopia. The bad will always exist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - In the last few hours this thread has generated an obscene number of reported posts. So many, in fact, that I'm very tempted to close the thread while I work though them.

I'll leave it open but some of you really need to pause and think before you post, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I didn't suggest shrugging our shoulders ot letting them at it.

I suggested several ways of deterring crime like this. Increased police presence, harsher sentences for murder and increased prison capabilities. Care to engage with those suggestions or offer an opinion on them. I'll engage with yours now.

1. How are they created? Through a complex set of cultural, behavioural and demographic circumstances most likely. Anecdotally, many murderers were themselves abused or bullied as children. Some however had all the love and caring a person could need and still chose to murder.

2. Are they born this way? Most unlikely, and if they are what do you suggest we do? Euthanize them?

3. Does society grow them? Most likely, however the same society grows brain surgeons and palliative care nurses. All societies grow murderous psychopaths, it has happened since the dawn of time and will continue to it's end. The more we learn the more we can do to prevent it. But there will always be some element of inequality in society and that will always breed resentment. An perfectly egalitarian society may be devoid of murderous psychopaths. Making our society more equal should help lower the murder count but zero isn't a realistic goal.

4. Murder doesn't happen that often, it's very rare in Ireland thankfully. Hence why there is such public mourning at a murder like that of Aisling Murphy.

5. Coming natural to some men? That's a pretty incendiary statement. Does it come naturally to people from specific nations? Those who follow specific religions? People from specific races? Statements like that are unwarranted.

6. Get behind the effort to stop these men? Everyone against them? That's also a very inciteful statement? Who are these men? How do you know they're are going to murder before they've done it? Are they your brother, friend, father? Maybe they're capable of murder. Do we round them up just in case?

I get that you're angry that Aisling Murphy was murdered. I am also. But you've got the wrong target for your anger. Only one man killed Aisling, that's the target for our anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

They're gender grifters. It's their entire platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Nobody knows for sure. Certainly, nobody will be hearing a motive from Puska. Even if he admitted to anything, would you believe him? He's not capable of lying straight in bed. I was listening to a discussion earlier and one of the journalists said that the guards think he probably was intending to rape someone. It makes sense, knowing that he was following women that day.

You have zero proof, zero, that the crime was sexually motivated. There is none. That's not to say that it wasn't, it's to say that claims of such are not supported by proof. Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sorry for going off topic

Sad thing is Society has changed for the worse and no more of this 'going out on the pull on a Friday/Saturday'. Its all about this dating app shite and lots of dangerous games associated with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Unfortunately once someone is an EU citizen they can travel freely around the EU. Sure look at the likes of Larry Murphy spotted in mainland Europe and the lad who murdered his wife in Howth he was spotted in another country after his release. Going to the US/Australia be a different thing.

I would disagree on that point, rehabilitation after committing certain crimes has to be option, especially if the perpetrator shows remorse. However, for serial offenders or violent criminals I would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

do people not go out on the pull anymore? 🤔 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nail on head, no amount of Mrs Lovejoying is going to prevent heinous crimes being committed in the future, a murderer is born every day but no one knows who they are until they do it.

Maybe but its a lot different now with the dating apps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Are you serious? It's sounds to me like you want to put people away before any crime is committed, is that it?

There have been plenty of studies done on rapists, murderers and all sorts of criminals to understand what makes them tick but what might make one tick may not be what makes another tick. There is no way you can prevent a crime from happening unless you have information that it will happen, even police have to wait till a crime is committed ornabout to be committed before acting. You can't go locking up people for thinking of committing a crime.

What does any of this have to do with a young woman being murdered when she was out jogging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Looks like the evidence against him was overwhelming.

the fact the judge even criticised Puska’s defence team… Mr Justice Hunt told the jury, that he agreed with their verdict, on receiving it he told them…...”glad you didn't waste any more of your valuable time with Puska's nonsense"….which it was… Puska and his teams claims that he received injuries falling off his bike and not during his poor victim’s attempt to defend herself…absolute horseshît… I don’t know how anyone could be expected to believe that given the other evidence….

obviously a storm of BS in order to try and enable a story of innocence…fairly damming remarks by the judge, fairly damming too that the verdict was 100% unanimous and achieved in pretty quick time, I think about 2 hours..

The average life sentence is 20 years according to info I’m reading… he’s 33 now….so basically he’s lost his youth… worst case he’ll be free by 54/55 probably….

Met my wife on a dating app, don't think dating apps are the issue here....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Lets not get carried away, there aren't 365 new murderers born here every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

How about everyone against murderers, antisocial scumbags, cheats and criminals ....of all genders?

Nothing as I said for going off topic

Just saying that society is changing and not in the right direction

These dating apps are creating a bad environment for all sexes/genders

Put up a half decent 'pic' and anyone will message back etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Never mind, perhaps the future coverage of a murder will tick the right boxes for you?

Why did you go off-topic here? It's about as relevant as a discussion about the price of a bag of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

We can't completely stop people doing bad things. But we can try to teach people how to protect themselves as best they can. My worry would be that you might somehow perceive that as victim blaming when really it's just about trying to control what we can control.

It could quite possibly of been the same thing and has been proven a few weeks ago with that evil bastard in Sligo put away for his hideous crimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The judge didn't criticise his defence team, he specifically said his words were no reflection on them.

He said he was not referring to Puska's legal team, led by Michael Bowman SC, who have "the most difficult job in this court". "Even a person like Puska is entitled to put forward a defence," the judge said, "and it's a really difficult job defending these cases."

He described the defence's job as "thankless and unpopular" but said if we want a proper legal system "even people like this are entitled to make such a defence as this". Mr Bowman, the judge said, is required to act on instructions but "you can't make bricks without straw and what Mr Bowman had in his hands was poor stuff indeed".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement