Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on build

Options
  • 09-11-2023 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi all,

My PC is slowly on its' last legs, also struggling a bit in newest games, so I will be planning on purchasing a new system around December/January. Could I salvage some cost from this selling as parts?

Current specs:

• CPU - 2700x
    • MOBO - Asus TUF x470-Plus
    • VGA - RTX 2080 (Zotac)
    • PSU - 750W Bitfenix 80+ gold
    • 32gb RAM

I will keep the NVME/SSD's (they are gen3, but I personally don't need the faster speeds for now), the case which is a O11 Dynamic and fans, monitors and all peripherals. The AIO pump is close to failing, has a terrible whine.

I want to update to the AM5 platform, going with something like below:

• CPU - 7800X3D
    • MOBO - B650E? Haven't decided yet.
    • VGA - 7900 XTX Red Devil (4090 price is just plain stupid)
    • PSU - Be quiet Pure 12 1000W 80+ gold.
    • RAM - G Skill Trident 32GB DDR5-7200 CL34

Budget should be around 2200-2400. Opinions? This will be a 1440P ultra build.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Unless there is another problem (in which case you would love to narrow that down anyway before selling potentially faulty parts) I'd wildly guess you would be better off to replace the cooler (could be a €20 Thermaltake or if you have the original stock cooler put that in) and sell the old system complete, taking the chance to get yourself a pci-e 4.0 nvme drive for the new machine. Your old system could take a 5800X3D (or 5600) and a gpu upgrade so it's solid now and easy to upgrade piecemeal so could make a nice christmas present for someone.

Of course you could just give it a cpu, cooler and gpu upgrade yourself!

As for your AM5 build, AM5 doesn't like to run ram anything like that fast and the X3D helps makes it less important anyway. 6000 CL30 is much cheaper and essentially guaranteed to work, every bit faster is going to rely on how good your 7800X3D is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nvidia will have a showcase event in January (CES) - probably for 4000-series SUPER.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

Thank you minitrue. My initial thought was to replace AIO, gpu and cpu to continue on the AM4 platform for a few more years. But even so that upgrade is still going to cost around €1000. Which in hindsight for a platform that is not supported anymore, is it worth it? Years ago when I made this purchase, I got the Asus TUF x470-Plus based on Asus' name rather than performance. It is not great and VRM is subpar from a "TUF" branded mobo.

Good to know, I heard some rumours about 4080 Ti. I do have a feeling pricing is going to be around €1500 mark for these though.

Advertisement