Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Thanks a mill. The 9.38 is still pretty cheap to be fair. A lot of the driving here is typical city driving and probably circa 400km a week. So this set-up would be a very live option I think - unless I am missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

I went with this plan - worst case scenario my motorway average is around 21kWh/100km, so the 1000kWh every 2 months are still enough for almost 2400km monthly.

I can actually do all my dishwashing within the 2-6am slot, and fire up the heatpump to heat up the house (A rated so it can hold the heat) for the day, all within the 1000kWh limit.

Having data for the past year really helps to make the decision.

Cheers. Very interesting. Must really sit down and crunch the numbers on it. And it sounds like it does need pretty active management but doing that sounds like it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Have you received any bills yet? I know it sounds stupid but I'm wary about leaving the comfort of having the 30c 24hr fixed rate with Flogas.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

@legend99 I am on that plan at the minute. I set the car to charge through the charger app, so just have to plug the car in that evening and forget about it. I have the immersion coming on using a time clock and both the dishwasher and washing machine have start offset timers (+1 hour, +2hour etc). I also charge a 5kw solar battery during the 4 hours. So it can be pretty straight forward to manage. Ill definitely go over the 1000 kw allowance per month but in fairness 1c extra per unit is pretty good value for what I am getting.

• Advertisement

@dozz Thanks. That's great information. I assume then that you have a wider system in terms of have accessing to a battery etc? Googling there but it seems that plug and play battery storage is still early in terms of being widely available?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

I'm pretty much doing all of the same, bar the battery storage. This is the power consumption from a typical car charging night.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

@legend99 sorry I should have been clearer, yes I have a 6kw solar array on the roof. So basically my thought process (rightly or wrongly) is to charge everything at the cheap rate then the battery will power the house in the morning until solar production kicks in and this will keep us ticking over until 8-9 in the evening (depending on the time of year). Any excess production during the day is sent to the grid at €0.24. I think this suits our household best. Also dont have to use the oil to heat the water 😁

Car is a hybrid so its a 12 kw battery. Cost us less than €1 each night to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I just phone Energia to set up on the Smart Drive Plan and they tell me that because my meter is currently rated CTF (?) Status 1 I'm not able to avail of Smart Drive. I can only get the Day, peak, Night plan. Or stay on my existing day/night rate pre smart meter.

Anything I can do?

Thanks

ESBN still have no data available from my meter after about 2 months but I thought that was normal

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

Yeah. And I had the Bord Gais EV plan previously (2-5am EV slot, but has a peak and a night rate too).

Between EV, Heatpump and dishwasher, I use around 45% of my total units during the EV period, so the math works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I got notified that they are going to install a smart meter, currently have d/n. Should I refuse it or make sure it is a certain type as I think I've seen different ones mentioned on here?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It will be the DN version, that's why your only getting the letter now

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I had the same thought, I presume smart meters are an inevitably? Am on the D/N meter as well

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lorkyporky

Looking at changing to the Energia EV plan. I'm currently with Electric Ireland, and have been for approx 2 years. In June when I got the EV I moved to th night boost plan. I received 100 euro switching bonus at the time. I noticed in the contract it says " If you receive a Switching Bonus, you must remain a customer for a minimum of 12 months." Can this be bought out by repaying the 100 quid does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jocombo

I'm in a similar position, just started the night boost plan but 2 hour window isn't enough. I've just switched to the weekender (free sundays) so will try charging the car that day with a bit of extra laundry/etc and see how it goes. No charge to switch plans (none mentioned on phone anyway!) Will be at least 50 to switch provider as mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've been following this thread and other EV threads since we got our EV in May. I signed up to the 30c community plan with Flogas (thanks to this thread!) in August. I still undecided about switching to the Energia Smart Plan with day, peak and night rate. We have an air to water system and now charging our EV. We have solar panels without the battery so sending electricity back to the grid. Our Sept/October bill was 1000kwh higher than same period last year so that is the EV and perhaps the heating came on a little earlier this year compared to last year. We have a smart meter installed.

I did a rough calculation that Energia would have saved us about €30 on this bill. I am undecided about whether switching to a smart plan is the best thing to do. The plans with low EV rate for 2-4 hours are just too expensive so the Energia one seems to be the only option for now.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and benefited from switching to a smart plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

I am waiting for my smart meter and then I will stay with electric ireland Home Electric+ Night Boost

They can offer 14% further discount on these figures until the end of the month.

Electricity unit price

Day: 08.00 - 23.00 39.31c per kWh

Night: 23.00 - 08.00 19.39c per kWh

Night Boost: 02.00 - 04.00 11.38c per kWh

They're dreadful prices. When you get your smart meter go for the energia 36c all day except for 8c from 2-6am, good standing charge too.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭snor

If you have an EV, why not go with the Energia smart drive. 8c to charge 2-6am and no peak rates?

• Advertisement

with the extra 14% discount the rates drop to

Day: 08.00 - 23.00 ------------- 33.8c per kWh

Night: 23.00 - 08.00 -------------- 16.67c per kWh

Night Boost: 02.00 - 04.00 ----------- 9.78c per kWh

That's just over 7 euro to charge the car fully

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

I was with Waterpower, which was 24h @ about 27c/kWh. Was mostly running things during the day as have solar too. Switched to a smart plan Energia EV that is 36/8 c/kWh after buying an EV. Have gas heating.

Now I'm charging the car, running immersion, dishwasher, washing machine and charging a toothbrush ;-) between 2am and 6am at 8c/kWh. So there's been a complete change of when electricity is consumed, but it's all on timers and has no bearing on our life.

Total electricity and gas bill now equals what was previously spent on a car fuel alone. An average family car doing an average milage.

The coming €450 electricity credit will buy me 2 years of nighttime driving electrones at 8.15c/kWh. 5521 kWh to be exact. There's simply no way for me to use up this amount of electricity even in one year running the house, EV, occasional friend's EVs, and, of course, a toothbrush.

On the other hand it would only give me 1500 kWh @ 30c/kWh. Not enough to keep one family car alone charged.

Daytime electricity (non smart) won't get any cheaper this decade as we're stupidly heavily reliant on gas. On the other hand there's a governmental subsidy which can buy a lot of cheap nighttime (smart) electrones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

You just said you worked out that you would have saved €30 on this bill alone, with 6 bills a year its a no brainer to change if you ask me.

I was with Electric Ireland before I switched over to Energia Smart EV Plan. Night rate now gets used for almost all my electricity, (EV, Washer, Dryer, Hot Water). I have Solar also, so sell back the excess to the grid at 24c/kwh and then buy it back in at night for 8c/kwh. So in that case every unit I sell in the day gets me 3 units at night

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

flogas confirmed last friday my new build smart meter is activated. it went in that way.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

You ask them, they have it available until the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dmk187mdk

Has anyone switched from Energia’s old ev plan to the new one mid contract? I’m 1 year into a 2 year contract with Energia ev plan. I rang them this morning and they said there’s no way they could switch contracts. Even if I was to sign up again for a 2 year contract. Anyone else had a similar situation?

That's unusual for them to give you that attitude when I was with them I found them decent to deal with. Maybe try ringing them again, you might get somebody less "EI" like. Other than that all you can do is move to another provider and try moving back to their EV plan after 30 days, it's going to cost you 100 euro unfortunately as both providers will punish you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Could be worth looking at the expensive providers who don't have fixed term contracts to avoid the extra €50 cancellation fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dmk187mdk

Yea, I was thinking ring again another day. He made it sound like a blood oath (You must fulfil your contract to the letter). I guess I thought it would be pretty straightforward moving tariff within the same company. If I try again I’ll post the results.

Advertisement