Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The US have a problem here in Europe as regards their unlimited support for Israel and their expansionist campaigns and wars. This support damages US credibility in Europe. Israeli actions are deeply unpopular in Europe.

On the other hand, Europe views Russia as a threat and welcomes the assistance the US gives to Ukraine in fighting their war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFHJdXr9XCg

Not for the feint hearted but that is absolute scumbaggery, a tent city outside a hosptial and they're just dropping **** in there. If Hamas are underground then what is that type of weapon supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

They've been itching to do this for decades. Unusual behavior for the most "oppressed race" in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The US is no longer unrivalled. China’s economic and military power is rising rapidly and it has allied itself with similarly despotic regimes in Russia, Burma, Iran and North Korea. At the same time, the US is turning inward, riven by political conflict. For Ireland and Europe that could be very bad news over the longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The conflict in Israel-Palestine invites us all to have opinions. Too many, perhaps. I have strong, almost contradictory, ones - hostility to the conduct of both Israel and Hamas - but what are they based on, really? I’ve never been there and I don’t speak the languages.

Post edited by Ardillaun on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭brickster69

Hamas terrorist caught on video using a human shield for the first time. Looks like quite a few narratives are melting away lately.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So what, does that mean TFG can't be mentioned? Says who?

There's no shortage of commentary in Biden, I've added to it myself, but Trump is still GOP forerunner for next year.

@blanch152 @unkel @Igotadose @markodaly

Given all the comentary you guys have made about horrendous acts of Human shields being used in Gaza, here's some evidence you can refer to the next time you post on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

No.But I haven't heard of serious speculation within Israel.

I would attach more significance to that as Israelis have more at stake than us ,including responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭brickster69

Where are we up to now on the war crime front ?

Human shields, genocide, dehumanization, blockade of life saving things such as food, energy and medicine, phosphorous bombs, blowing up mosques, schools, churches, hospitals, refugee camps, bakeries, fishing boats, ambulances and a dose of ethnic cleansing.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The US has not abandoned diplomacy. Not sure why you just go and state that as if it is some axiom?

You'd want to wake up as well as invasion of Iraq was pushing 20 years ago now and I think the political environment in the US and desire for interventions of any sort has changed beyond all recognition. Much debate there now about them even supplying weaponry to Ukraine, which is amazing. One of their parties main Presidential candidates is quite likely to end participation in NATO if elected.

Lookit, what else can you call what Putin/Russia is doing but a "violent adventure", it is funny how using the term irks you and gets under the skin when it is not referring to the US or some Western country. That war is not even about Russia's self interest in my opinion. If you think likes of China (I won't mention Russia or NK or Iran...) are fully rational, or in some way they will be an improvement over the US & Co. (and their "hypocricies") and foster greater order and peace in the world you are asleep and dreaming again.

We'll see how much safer the multipolar world is when the US has retreated further, mainly sticks to trade and relations with its neighbourhood and group of allies + almost every mid sized country on Earth have built their own nuclear bombs (for "self defence") and ICBMs to put them on because they don't trust others and are afraid of being attacked.

I predict not very!

Here is an official Twitter account tweeting that several global news businesses had journalists embedded with Hamas.

Israeli officials said that these photojournalists would be targeted and eliminated.

This was immediately pointed out as false, including in a response to the tweet.

Here is a correction posted by another account that pushed the narrative.

The last line is worth reading twice given the name of the organization he is working for.

This is all part of the Israeli PR campaign to justify having killed more journalists than on any other conflict since records began being kept 30 years ago.

Shame on them, and those on here who pushed the narrative for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Really, yet you no doubt believe all the "casualty reports" from Hamas controlled media...hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Two things can both be wrong. And, if it's on twitter it must be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Remind me ...did you call out all the now disproven propaganda about the hospital carpark 500 killed rocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

“We think they’re very high, frankly, and it could be that they’re even higher than are being cited,” she says, later adding this is “very possible.”

Assistant Secretary of State Barbara Leaf told a US House panel

All the aid agencies on the ground see nothing that would refute the official Hamas figures. Hamas released 7000 names recently, I'm sure that can be dismissed with evidence if their figures are fake. Like finding someone on the list tweeting after their death etc... so far it hasn't been discredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

And the UN and the WHO.

Incidentally, the regime actually admits that thousands of Gazan civilians have been killed. I'm quite puzzled by regime supporters denying this, when the IDF repeatedly say that it is an unfortunate necessity in their eyes that thousands of civilians have to die whilst they go after Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's very foolish to take at face value, propaganda from either side.

We can however rely on the horrific video evidence coming out of Gaza and on the testament of credible sources in humanitarian agencies.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind but that the IDF under instructions from the Israeli government are engaged in genocide and forcible displacement by violent means of a civilian population.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

It's like there's a cognitive dissonance. People support the launching of the rockets into Gaza by Israel but choose to not believe Hamas when they say they landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I wonder what the world would be saying if Russia told Ukrainian citizens to flee to Western Ukraine to escape the war zone and then bombed churches in Western Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It’s funny how you use terms like, you need to wake up, you are asleep, you are dreaming.

The US has intervened in foreign countries either militarily or through full scale war, 92 times in less than 20 years, 2000 to 2019. That’s once every 2 and a half months!

US foreign policy has been a litany of failure. There is no way to sugar coat that. The US has been a major cause of instability this century, from invasions, regime change etc. Then when the sh1t hits the fan they abandon the sh1t shows they leave behind just like they will do in Ukraine.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Israel have really pushed themselves into a corner. The whole world knows they have overreacted in terms of the disproportionate killing of civilians including over 4000 children. Even their staunch allies in the US are begging then to stop the massacres and let in much needed food, water and medical supplies.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

two things.

1. Historically the Health Ministry in gaza has provided accurate information.
    2. Historically Brietbart lies.

So although we can't be sure about either, the gazan health ministry has been more trustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The clue there is next year. A long way away.

This war is now. And the US president is Biden. I realise your desire to mention Trump whenever you can but this isn't about Trump.

IDF spokesman was interviewed by RTE's Drivetime and didn't deny for a moment when it was put to him that many thousands of Gazan civilians had been killed - his line was to say that the killings were justified and necessary in order to bomb Hamas.

It's as if Israel supporters are denying to themselves just how brutal and hardline the actions are, even when the regime is openly admitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There is a belief among some Israelis that Bibi knew something was up but did not know the extent of it. He might have thought - as he has in the past- that whatever was going on he could contain it and use it to his advantage. He turned a blind eye to large cash payments from Qatar to Hamas. There was also a report that he ignored a warning from Egyptian intelligence that Hamas was planning something big. At worst he was criminally negligence or at best grossly incompetent. You will recall he set himself up as Mr Security and dominated Israeli politics on the back of it. He can't have it both ways- the buck stops him.

Visegrad 24 is often sourced here by pro bombing civilians in Gaza posters . It has been claimed it is a quality source of news. I can’t link to them here but their tweets today are disgusting and racist.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

I was reading that Netanyahu had previously assured the public that such an attack by Hamas was impossible, that Israel's defence and security was rock solid and that a large scale terrorist event was out of the question. This is one of the main reasons the Israeli public are so angry with him.

Advertisement