Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Brietbart as as reliable as waterford whispers. The only difference is that waterford whispers admits it's purely entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

That should be the red line for Irish people. We’ve just suffered a century of theocracy and bigotry on this island and it has been an appalling experience. In no way, shape or form should we be supporting a far worse religious outfit elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

So now Israel has named journalists as legitimate targets but seeing as they've killed 39 already thats hardly a surprise. This is based on the assertion that an AP phot journalist was "imbedded" on October 7th. The AP claim the journo was contacted on the morning of the attack and was not aware of what was about to happen. Whether he did or he didin't is pointless as I don't know what he was supposed to do, I see some Israeli's claiming he should have intervened, maybe could have attacked Hamas with his camera maybe.

The point is Israel have now used it as a chance to legitimise the targeting of all media in Gaza, except the ones imbedded with them and who have to agree to full censorship of their reporting. They don't want anyone to report on the true scale of the atrocities and are making a public threat to target anyone with a camera. If you cannot see what is happening then it's only because you don't want to.

In other lighthearted news, I see Braverman has compared Hamas to those bigoted, hate filled orange marches. Hamas should sue for defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

The location of the mosque:

Imagine bombing places of worship, and assumed safety, exactly where you told people to flee to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't think so. There will just be more players undertaking the violent adventures. I mean, lets take a look at Russia and Putin for a minute.

I know you and likes of @brickster69 don't like that, and have been much more in your element + happy plastering this thread with condemnations of the US and Israel...

Russia is hardly "hegemonic" but I think it could be argued that the relative weakening of the US and rise of other powers emboldened Putin to do what he is doing in Ukraine.

Expect more of this unheaval and chaos as other powers rise further, the US retreats somewhat and the world perhaps returns closer to a kind of "state of nature", like what it was pre WW1/WW2 (?), but this time with more powerful weapons available to many countries.

Might makes right + there will be multiple countries feeling strong enough to go to town on their weaker neighbours for some reason or other, and no overwhelmingly powerful nation or small group of nations stepping up to call a halt. The "security dilemma" as I think it is called will ensure a very dangerous arms race (already under way).

The multipolar world is going to be beautiful.

Also saying the governments (+ foreign policies) represent "40 % of the world's population" is a joke when referring to likes of China/NK/Iran/Russia etc. given how those countries are run. A much worse joke than doing same for the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The US as an unrivalled hyper power has largely abandoned diplomacy in favour of military intervention and regime change. This isn’t making the world safer for anybody.

The US and NATO have undertaken more “violent adventures” as you call them than any other group of countries. All in self interest, not any benign international rights or rules based order.

The US is losing/has lost political capital and credibility due to its inconsistencies and hypocrisy. The global south now looks to more rational actors. The Chinese sponsored detente between Saudi Arabia and Ian for example.

Many in the international community simply do not trust the US. US imperator has diminished hugely.

The US not only turns a blind eye to nuclear armed Israel but finances and arms them while fighting wars and imposing sanctions ostensibly to prevent nuclear proliferation.

We will see more countries becoming nuclear powers, Saudi Arabia, Turkey etc because the night is right doctrine as opposed to diplomacy is a better guarantee of security.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

I would advise people to look at the footage of the missile strike on the courtyard of the al-Shifa hospital. The strike was carried out by a Hellfire R9X missile, called the "ninja missile". No huge crater, no huge exposion, just kinetic energy and loads of human carnage. Now I wonder where we have seen a similar strike in a hospital courtyard??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Propagandists & their mouthpieces should always be called out. Adds not a jot to the debate and done deliberately to provoke visceral responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement

No, that hasn't happened. Your likely misinterpreting something you found. Kind of like that whole Congressmen-dual-citizen thing.

Feel free to share your source though.

The US have a problem here in Europe as regards their unlimited support for Israel and their expansionist campaigns and wars. This support damages US credibility in Europe. Israeli actions are deeply unpopular in Europe.

On the other hand, Europe views Russia as a threat and welcomes the assistance the US gives to Ukraine in fighting their war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFHJdXr9XCg

Not for the feint hearted but that is absolute scumbaggery, a tent city outside a hosptial and they're just dropping **** in there. If Hamas are underground then what is that type of weapon supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

They've been itching to do this for decades. Unusual behavior for the most "oppressed race" in history.

The US is no longer unrivalled. China’s economic and military power is rising rapidly and it has allied itself with similarly despotic regimes in Russia, Burma, Iran and North Korea. At the same time, the US is turning inward, riven by political conflict. For Ireland and Europe that could be very bad news over the longer term.

The conflict in Israel-Palestine invites us all to have opinions. Too many, perhaps. I have strong, almost contradictory, ones - hostility to the conduct of both Israel and Hamas - but what are they based on, really? I’ve never been there and I don’t speak the languages.

Post edited by Ardillaun on

Hamas terrorist caught on video using a human shield for the first time. Looks like quite a few narratives are melting away lately.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So what, does that mean TFG can't be mentioned? Says who?

There's no shortage of commentary in Biden, I've added to it myself, but Trump is still GOP forerunner for next year.

@blanch152 @unkel @Igotadose @markodaly

Given all the comentary you guys have made about horrendous acts of Human shields being used in Gaza, here's some evidence you can refer to the next time you post on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭amandstu

No.But I haven't heard of serious speculation within Israel.

I would attach more significance to that as Israelis have more at stake than us ,including responsibility

• Advertisement

Where are we up to now on the war crime front ?

Human shields, genocide, dehumanization, blockade of life saving things such as food, energy and medicine, phosphorous bombs, blowing up mosques, schools, churches, hospitals, refugee camps, bakeries, fishing boats, ambulances and a dose of ethnic cleansing.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The US has not abandoned diplomacy. Not sure why you just go and state that as if it is some axiom?

You'd want to wake up as well as invasion of Iraq was pushing 20 years ago now and I think the political environment in the US and desire for interventions of any sort has changed beyond all recognition. Much debate there now about them even supplying weaponry to Ukraine, which is amazing. One of their parties main Presidential candidates is quite likely to end participation in NATO if elected.

Lookit, what else can you call what Putin/Russia is doing but a "violent adventure", it is funny how using the term irks you and gets under the skin when it is not referring to the US or some Western country. That war is not even about Russia's self interest in my opinion. If you think likes of China (I won't mention Russia or NK or Iran...) are fully rational, or in some way they will be an improvement over the US & Co. (and their "hypocricies") and foster greater order and peace in the world you are asleep and dreaming again.

We'll see how much safer the multipolar world is when the US has retreated further, mainly sticks to trade and relations with its neighbourhood and group of allies + almost every mid sized country on Earth have built their own nuclear bombs (for "self defence") and ICBMs to put them on because they don't trust others and are afraid of being attacked.

I predict not very!

Here is an official Twitter account tweeting that several global news businesses had journalists embedded with Hamas.

Israeli officials said that these photojournalists would be targeted and eliminated.

This was immediately pointed out as false, including in a response to the tweet.

Here is a correction posted by another account that pushed the narrative.

The last line is worth reading twice given the name of the organization he is working for.

This is all part of the Israeli PR campaign to justify having killed more journalists than on any other conflict since records began being kept 30 years ago.

Shame on them, and those on here who pushed the narrative for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Really, yet you no doubt believe all the "casualty reports" from Hamas controlled media...hmmm

Two things can both be wrong. And, if it's on twitter it must be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Remind me ...did you call out all the now disproven propaganda about the hospital carpark 500 killed rocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

“We think they’re very high, frankly, and it could be that they’re even higher than are being cited,” she says, later adding this is “very possible.”

Assistant Secretary of State Barbara Leaf told a US House panel

All the aid agencies on the ground see nothing that would refute the official Hamas figures. Hamas released 7000 names recently, I'm sure that can be dismissed with evidence if their figures are fake. Like finding someone on the list tweeting after their death etc... so far it hasn't been discredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

And the UN and the WHO.

Incidentally, the regime actually admits that thousands of Gazan civilians have been killed. I'm quite puzzled by regime supporters denying this, when the IDF repeatedly say that it is an unfortunate necessity in their eyes that thousands of civilians have to die whilst they go after Hamas.

It's very foolish to take at face value, propaganda from either side.

We can however rely on the horrific video evidence coming out of Gaza and on the testament of credible sources in humanitarian agencies.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind but that the IDF under instructions from the Israeli government are engaged in genocide and forcible displacement by violent means of a civilian population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

It's like there's a cognitive dissonance. People support the launching of the rockets into Gaza by Israel but choose to not believe Hamas when they say they landed.

Advertisement