Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mikeoc85

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I wonder what the world would be saying if Russia told Ukrainian citizens to flee to Western Ukraine to escape the war zone and then bombed churches in Western Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It’s funny how you use terms like, you need to wake up, you are asleep, you are dreaming.

The US has intervened in foreign countries either militarily or through full scale war, 92 times in less than 20 years, 2000 to 2019. That’s once every 2 and a half months!

US foreign policy has been a litany of failure. There is no way to sugar coat that. The US has been a major cause of instability this century, from invasions, regime change etc. Then when the sh1t hits the fan they abandon the sh1t shows they leave behind just like they will do in Ukraine.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Israel have really pushed themselves into a corner. The whole world knows they have overreacted in terms of the disproportionate killing of civilians including over 4000 children. Even their staunch allies in the US are begging then to stop the massacres and let in much needed food, water and medical supplies.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,198 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

two things.

1. Historically the Health Ministry in gaza has provided accurate information.
    2. Historically Brietbart lies.

So although we can't be sure about either, the gazan health ministry has been more trustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The clue there is next year. A long way away.

This war is now. And the US president is Biden. I realise your desire to mention Trump whenever you can but this isn't about Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

IDF spokesman was interviewed by RTE's Drivetime and didn't deny for a moment when it was put to him that many thousands of Gazan civilians had been killed - his line was to say that the killings were justified and necessary in order to bomb Hamas.

It's as if Israel supporters are denying to themselves just how brutal and hardline the actions are, even when the regime is openly admitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There is a belief among some Israelis that Bibi knew something was up but did not know the extent of it. He might have thought - as he has in the past- that whatever was going on he could contain it and use it to his advantage. He turned a blind eye to large cash payments from Qatar to Hamas. There was also a report that he ignored a warning from Egyptian intelligence that Hamas was planning something big. At worst he was criminally negligence or at best grossly incompetent. You will recall he set himself up as Mr Security and dominated Israeli politics on the back of it. He can't have it both ways- the buck stops him.

Visegrad 24 is often sourced here by pro bombing civilians in Gaza posters . It has been claimed it is a quality source of news. I can’t link to them here but their tweets today are disgusting and racist.

• Advertisement

I was reading that Netanyahu had previously assured the public that such an attack by Hamas was impossible, that Israel's defence and security was rock solid and that a large scale terrorist event was out of the question. This is one of the main reasons the Israeli public are so angry with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭brickster69

Israel calling off the investigation into rapes carried out on the 7th.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

They're not even trying to hide their bias and the fact they are a propaganda outlet. All they do is post pro-Israel stuff and seemingly go trawling the web looking for stories to show Palestinians in bad light. This would be bad enough, but as you say, many of the things they are now posting about Muslim people are openly racist and reprehensible. If they were operating out of Ireland or the UK, they would probably be shut down as a hate channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

People dismiss anything amnesty international say based on a flawed report they issued about Ukraine. So incorrectly reporting mass rapes should be classed as propaganda and anything the IDF says should be dismissed as such.

That's the same logic right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That was the first time I mentioned him on here, and it was entirely appropriate. I didn't even mention him by name but alluded to the fact that he is the GOP forerunner, which he is.

You've been running interference for him for years on this website. Outdide if his own thread, any time he's mentioned, you're straight in there trying to shut it down.

It's very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

So where is that authoritative stat. you quote from? It must include every time the US sold a country weapons or something, or perhaps publically sided with one group or other in their internal politics (an "intervention" of sorts I suppose).

I used terms like "you are asleep/dreaming" as regards the trajectory of the world as the US disengages + is consumed with internal problems and the power of likes of China or the various regional dictatorships and autocracies grows, because it is the most polite + benign explanation.

The other option is that you are looking foward to and desire the obvious outcomes ([even] more chaos and violence in the world) despite all the tears shed over civilians in Palestine here.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Hospitals, mosques, schools, refugee camps, journalists and ambulances targeted with over 10000 dead, including over 4000 children. Over a million forcibly moved from their homes. 178 Palestinians killed in the West Bank by settlers and IDF.

I'm going to post this regularly until one of the shills here can give me ONE reason, just ONE, why children's painted plates would so trigger and offend people that they would contact a group of activist lawyers to have them removed.

• Advertisement

Post a link suggesting it isn't true so.

Whenever you're ready.

It's way too late in to this conversation to be suggesting something immediately discounted because it's on Twitter.

We could probably post directly from news sites if they had people on the ground in Gaza but given the record number of journalists killed there in the last 4 weeks, they are understandably hesitant to put their staff there.

The official wing of the MAGA lunatics.

Seriously, you've been around these conversations for years and don't know the acronym for one of the two main parties?

We just say Republicans here.

Middle East is indifferent to the internal dramas of America.

The US has been a superpower since about 1900. Super powers come and go. There was both war and peace before 1900 and there will be war and peace as the US declines. You do a bad job of showing a correlation between the US as a superpower and lack of wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The US has edit: been a "power" since then perhaps...only a superpower (with Soviets) since the end of WW2 and the sole superpower since collapse of USSR (with latter period now coming to an end as we enter this new multipolar world you and others are happy for). Oh war always existed - ah well that is okay so. On other hand maybe not so okay (!) as weapons humanity has today did not exist back in the 1900s.

I mostly made a prediction, so we have little data as yet. The best comparison period when we get down to looking at correlations (if people are around to do it) will be post Cold War to date, or perhaps end WW2 to date (the USs time as superpower or "hegemon") vs what is coming down the tracks.

(getting back to thread topic somewhat) I actually kind of think the unrestrained way Israel is acting in Gaza is another early fruit of how the world is changing (going "multipolar"). The US control over what they do here may not be quite as great as some think it is. Netanyahu certainly doesn't seem to be paying much attention at all to the Biden admin. + doesn't feel the need to.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

@markodaly Apologies for the delay.

Here is a list of well respected organisations that have studied the situation in Gaza and consider Israel an Occupying Power since 2005 (and before Oct 7)

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) 

UN General Assembly

UN Security Council 

UN Special Rapporteur Richard Falk

International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)

United Nations Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Occupied Palestinian Territory

European Union (EU)

African Union

International Criminal Court (ICC) (both Pre-Trial Chamber I and the Office of the Prosecutor)

Amnesty International

Human Rights Watch

UN Relief Workers Agency

The Israeli High Court of Justice has itself emphasized that the state is nonetheless required under international humanitarian law to allow Gaza to receive “what is needed in order to provide the essential humanitarian needs of the civilian population” (Jaber Al-Bassiouni Ahmed 2008, para. 11).

Too many other international legal experts to list but let's focus on our own country - we have Ruth A FitzGerald SC, an expert in IHL. We also have this list of Irish academics who criticise "Israel’s regime of occupation"...

Gaza crisis: Hundreds of academics sign letter calling for Irish universities to suspend ties with Israeli institutions – The Irish Times

There are hundreds on that list above.

--------------

Who have you got to make your argument? I'll help you start the list.

1. Israel

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

All previous reports from conflicts have been within the margin of error in relation to UN, Red Crescent and other observers so no, I have no reason to question it. In fact, given the sheer scale of destruction I wouldn't be surprised to see that number go up with the amount of people under rubble.

Sure, you go ahead relying on organisations who use half truths, manipulate the truth or outright lie because that suits your worldview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

The problem here, and I find this a particularly disgusting thing to do, is that the Israeli media/IDF took what was already a horrendous thing to happen and exaggerated and facilitated exaggerations because the people that were killed weren't killed in a horrific enough way.

Babies beheaded, not confirmed by any Israeli body yet still repeated by officials, including in the UN. Rapes and sexual assaults, probably true but nowhere near the extent. Babies in ovens and people burned alive, possibly but the IDF were using artillery, air strikes and tanks as part of their defence.

People were murdered, but their murders weren't gruesome enough.

Advertisement