Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If you think they are going to campaign saying they are offering the same again you are naive.

It will be fascinating to watch how they try to depict themselves as different parties.

This itself is new territory and locally and nationally it will all be very fragile. Will it be ignited into a damaging bust up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

No, not at all.

As I say, they know that nobody will have a majority. FFG already work together in case you hadnt noticed, easy enough to bolt the door on SF if they decide to.

Just as they did last time.

I think the only kicker is if MM leaves before the next election and the new leader is a little more open to a coalition with SF.

But barring that, FFG will be returned again and they already know it.

Doesnt matter what they campaign on, the deal will already be done.

You are describing a merger.

We will see. I can see all sorts of banana skins and self survival in the way of a repeat coalition.

If no party has a majority, how would we not have a merger?

Just as we do today.

Don’t you know the difference between a merger and a coalition?

I leave you to research it. Night.

• Advertisement

I wasnt describing a political party merger.

That wont happen. There wont be a merger between FG and FF.

But there will be a coalition.

You seem to think its a problem for FFG to form a coalition, even though they have been in one for years and are currently in one!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Fianna Fail is Sinn Fein without the baggage of criminality and association with terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Indeed, the PSNI and MI5 concluded IRA members believed the army council “oversees” both the IRA and Sinn Féin with an “overarching strategy”, "based on current intelligence, historical materials and analysis." Not many years ago the Gardai's view of the IRA’s role is in line with the conclusions of other police forces and security services. Drew Harris said “I am aware of the Police Service of Northern Ireland and British [MI5] security service’s assessment and we do not differ from that view”.

Some regular poster(s) may be of a different view, but he is / they are probably in Athlone at the Ard F. for the weekend.

Unless you go back to a time when FF arrived into the Dáil armed.

All the main political parties were born out of violence and what was criminal activity at the time..

But only one political party associated with a group that murdered our Gardai within living memory, and did not recognise the state...

• Advertisement

What has living memory to do with it?

Our main political parties laid down their weapons and moved into democratic politics.

No different to what happened 25 years ago.

The conflict/war is over.

Groups were required to sign up to 'exclusively peaceful means' and some of them did.

If you were remotely honest in debates you would quote the FULL assessment of those tasked with monitoring, but you never do.

"What has living memory to do with it?" - well, some people remember those who could not be trusted then and who killed our Gardai and did not recognise the state ( Republic of Ireland).

Of course you deflect and go off murmuring about the foundation of the state and how " all the main political parties (in Ireland) were born out of violence" and how things were over a century ago blah blah blah. Different times altogether.

There was a time, many decades, when most people were trying to build the economy through hard work and honest means, and others just robbed out banks etc etc. Who do we trust more?

I am talking of the past, just like you are.

Gwan, quote the full findings of the PSNI and the IMC. don't just manipulate them to suit your agenda.

FF. FG. SF Etc are all involved in exclusively peaceful democratic politics now.

All equal and all entitled to hold office if elected by the electorate. Democracy.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but you only have your vote to reject them, nothing else.

I choose not to vote for FF and FG at the moment.

You are free to choose who you vote for too.

You can choose who you want to vote for ( and in this state, most people can put themselves forward for election as long as they are not unionist - or they get intimidated / attacked / a bullet in the post ). It is worth noting that there is a wide belief even in the "Republican" party of Fianna Fáil belief that Sinn Féin are not a ‘normal’ democratic party.

Micheál Martin: “The Paul Quinn murder stands out. But the omerta that follows it – that people are so afraid and so intimidated by that organisation that they won’t engage with the police”

You can choose who you want to vote for 

Exactly. Thank you for accepting that.

I don't think SF are a normal political party either, given where they have come from.

Largest party on the island and most popular party in the previous GE and consistently in polling.

I can see why FF and FG would be annoyed at that having had a free run swapping power between them for 100 years.

Yet again you twist things. The statement was not that it was not a normal party. The statement was that it was not a normal democratic party.

Big difference.

And the other point was you can choose who you want to vote for in this state as long as they are not unionist, as unionists who put themselves forward for election in this state- or speak out - get intimidated / attacked / a bullet in the post ).

Micheál Martin: “The Paul Quinn murder stands out. But the omerta that follows it – that people are so afraid and so intimidated by that organisation that they won’t engage with the police”

The PSNI, IMC and the former leader of Michael's party know as much as the local community about who killed Paul Quinn.

Where is the 'omerta' when the IMC, PSNI and Gardai and the local community, know who did it, how it was done, why it was done and who was there?

Go on, please explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Political parties are the people they represent. This changes over time.

Sinn Fein has a brand and it appeals to some but not all.

You could just as well say the same about some the other political parties they have associated with in the past , from the Nazis to Hamas to Farc.

They all had or have "a brand and it appeals to some but not all", as you correctly say.

Omerta ...well, in the case of Robert McCartneys murder in Belfast, seventy-one potential witnesses claimed to have been in the pub's toilets at the time of the attacks. The toilets could not hold that many.

Agree. Over time the vote share of FF and FG has fallen from 86% of the Irish electorate to 42% at the last GE. Looks odds on to fall even further.

SF's share has gone the other way to be the single most popular party in the state at the last GE and still rising.

• Advertisement

Why don't you answer what you were asked?

Where is the 'omerta' when the IMC, PSNI and Gardai and the local community, know who did ithow it was done, why it was done and who was there?

Who told them - A) Who did it. B) How it was done C) Why it was done D) Who was there, if there was an 'omerta' operating?

Doesn't sound like very effective 'omerta' to me.

It's easy for Michael to sling these words around, much harder to prove them though as you are ably demonstrating.

"still rising" sez you? In the last opinion poll less than a week ago, I thought support for SF was decreasing? Not surprising after many voters reading recent books on SF like Ronan McGreevy & Tom Conlon’s The Kidnapping, David Blake Knox’s Face Down, Mairia Cahill’s Rough Beast and Jennifer O’Leary’s The Padre.

You prove the point. How difficult is it to get proof / witnesses to stand up in court? Remember, in the case of Robert McCartneys murder in Belfast, seventy-one potential witnesses claimed to have been in the pub's toilets at the time of the attacks. The toilets could not hold that many.

I gave you the link showing there is a wide belief even in the "Republican" party of Fianna Fáil that Sinn Féin are not a ‘normal’ democratic party.

You need to understand 'trends' in polling as opposed to a single poll.

IF the police know who done it, why it was done, how it was done, who was there, how is there 'omerta' Francis?

This is not a hard question to answer.

Please don't deflect, unless locals were actually at the scene and witnessed what happened their evidence is not of any use to a legal conviction...'Somebody in the pub told me who done it' might be true but it is not convicting evidence. You do understand that?

I already said, given where they have come from I agree, SF are not a normal political party, just like FF was not a normal political party for decades after emerging from a conflict/war.

Are they a 'democratic' party...yes. I see a party who have met their commitments to the GFA. So too do the bodies we invested with the power to monitor these things and they say - they are engaged in exclusively peaceful means'.

If there was no omerta, how come in the case of Robert McCartneys murder in Belfast, seventy-one potential witnesses claimed to have been in the pub's toilets at the time of the attacks? The toilets could not hold that many.

And look what Micheál Martin said for example : “The Paul Quinn murder stands out. But the omerta that follows it – that people are so afraid and so intimidated by that organisation that they won’t engage with the police”

How could a party be a normal political party when there have been no leadership contests in the past 50 years? And when , as the police on both sides of the order say, the army council “oversees” both the IRA and Sinn Féin with an “overarching strategy”, "based on current intelligence, historical materials and analysis?

And you have not addressed the other point which was you can choose who you want to vote for in this state as long as they are not unionist, as unionists who put themselves forward for election in this state- or speak out - get intimidated / attacked / a bullet in the post ).

Overall, it is hard to disagree with our joint / ex Taoiseach when he said that S.F. was not a normal democratic party.

How could such a party form a government? It is interesting that many accountants have advised their clients who are landlords to dispose of their properties in case SF get in to power. They are also fearful of the effect SF may have on our multinationals who are here, a half dozen of whom pay so much C.T. / washing their worldwide profits through Ireland ( Apple yesterday alone was mentioned to have underpaid something like 13 billion in Irish taxes if I am not mistaken - how embarassing for Ireland inc. worldwide).

How could such a party form a government?

Like any other party elected by the people?

Are you afraid of democracy or are you advocating for getting rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

You did not answer the questions:

(1) If there was no omerta, how come in the case of Robert McCartneys murder in Belfast, seventy-one potential witnesses claimed to have been in the pub's toilets at the time of the attacks? After all, the toilets could not hold that many.

(2) How could a party be a normal political party when there have been no leadership contests in the past 50 years? And when , as the police on both sides of the order say, the army council “oversees” both the IRA and Sinn Féin with an “overarching strategy”, "based on current intelligence, historical materials and analysis?

And you have not addressed the other point which was you can choose who you want to vote for in this state as long as they are not unionist, as unionists who put themselves forward for election in this state- or speak out - get intimidated / attacked / a bullet in the post ).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Already answered on the 'omerta' nonsense.

Unionists standing for election here has zero to do with the thread, that is why I ignored that curious question. Open a separate thread and detail the incidents were Unionist candidates were intimidated and ask your question, if I have anything to offer I will.

And again, SF will form the government or part of it, if they are elected to do that job just like any other party would. What is your issue with this? The thread is discussing how they will do that.

You have not answered the questions, so we can conclude that whatever you think of our joint / ex Taoiseach, he was correct when he said that S.F. was not a normal democratic party. Why would any party want to go in to government when you see how difficult and poor they are in N.I, and when they do not even have leadership contests ( how many in the past 50 years? )?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Advertisement

Well, the 'joint / ex Taoiseach' had no problems going into government with a party he said he 'would never go into coalition with' so we can take whatever the 'joint / ex Taoiseach' says with a pinch of salt.

Indeed we also know that when he thought he was going to be the biggest party in a coalition with SF he did this:

The guy is a relic of sleeveen politics.

I don't think he will be leader after the next GE so let's look at the favourite to be the new leader of FF.

Jim O'Callaghan:

Fianna Fáil’s Jim O’Callaghan when asked about potential coalition talks with Sinn Féin this week said: “Fianna Fáil should neither rule in, nor rule out, any other party in respect of coalition, in advance of the next General Election.”

His comments come after The Irish Times reported this week that almost 20 Fianna Fáil TDs have said they would not rule out holding coalition talks with Sinn Féin in the future.

Advertisement